What does this go to?

-

rich_mc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Doing a speaker and stereo swap as well as removing the non-functional dealer added a/c and suddenly see this bulb hanging out under the dash and have no clue where it is supposed to go... Can't find a hole it seems to have fallen out of... Ideas?

20220331_215638.jpg

Hard to say. Radio, heater controls, ash tray............Ask yourself "what lights up" and "what doesn't work" or "what is missing?"

What 67Dart273 said... but maybe you don't have power in the car to check. Anyway hard to tell from your picture but it looks like the black plastic socket with an orange and a black wire that comes out of the main harness, it should plug in to a hole in the heater control assembly.

Ash tray light is in a metal case that has two metal tangs that pop in to a rectangular hole on the top of the ash tray. The wire for it is a single orange with a bullet type connector.
upload_2022-3-31_23-17-51.png

It's to make sure the roaches don't catch the ash tray on fire.

Because it has its own ground [2 wires], my guess is a glove box light.

The blue colored cover on the bulb tells me it's for the heater control lighting. I believe the factory radio is lit internally & the ashtray light doesn't have the blue covering on it. Just my opinion.

I see the 2 wires now, glove box didnt use a cover on bulb i dont think.heater control housing is plastic, so that makes sense.

Thanks all... I'm thinking maybe it was unused and just stuck up in the dash.

It is a 76 Scamp Special.

It does have 2 wires, a plastic housing, a blue bulb cover, and comes off the main harness between the radio and glove box.

There are no holes in the ashtray to receive it.

The heater controls are basic and don't appear to be set up for backlighting (mine look exactly like this one- 1973-1976 DODGE DART SCAMP VALIANT DUSTER HEATER CONTROL WITHOUT AC | eBay

I remember an older Dart I used to have had a black cardboard glove box liner which did have a light. This Scamp has a white plastic glove box liner - not sure if that is factory or aftermarket as I'm not really finding replacements if I look around.

My current thought is:
1. It used to be a glove box light but the white plastic liner is aftermarket and the bulb just got left loose in the dash.
2. It might have been used with the original radio? (I'm removing an aftermarket Craig non-functional 8 track player now) and it may have just been left up in the dash after that.

I think I'll just stuff it back up in there and not worry about it...but will keep it in mind in case I need a power source for something in the future.

There is a hole in the rear of the heater control that is just to the right of the DEF selection. It's hard to see. Feel for it with your finger or maybe a mirror and a light. If the control was setting on a table, you couldn't miss seeing it. The socket just snaps into the hole.

There is a hole in the rear of the heater control that is just to the right of the DEF selection. It's hard to see. Feel for it with your finger or maybe a mirror and a light. If the control was setting on a table, you couldn't miss seeing it. The socket just snaps into the hole.

Thanks- I'll give that a look!

Doing a speaker and stereo swap as well as removing the non-functional dealer added a/c and suddenly see this bulb hanging out under the dash and have no clue where it is supposed to go... Can't find a hole it seems to have fallen out of... Ideas?

View attachment 1715899207
My Dart has a courtesy light hidden to the right of the dealer installed air unit. Does the light work? When does it light up?

The instructions given in post 14 apply to factory original heater control. Can't help with dealer installed AC. The light comes on at the same time as the instrument cluster lights.

You were right. Finally got it in there. Thanks.

Little bit of wiring cleanup up to do, but it works! The speakers I got were a little too tall in the center so I had to spacer them down, but it sounds so much better than the non-functional 8-track player I took out.

Also need to cap the spot where the a/c controls were.

20220401_165519.jpg
20220401_165527.jpg
20220401_223551.jpg

Just so you know, I think Chrysler started using the white plastic glovebox liners in 73 (I think) & up A Bodies, so yours is probably correct.

-
Back