What does this mean? Radiator question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I've been researching the numbers on my radiator (2898067). According to the table on this website, here is the info: 68, A body, 22", 225, HI ALT-A/C.

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/reference_radiatorguide.php?SID

My question is, what does HI ALT-A/C mean? A/C is obvious, but what does HI ALT denote?

Also, will any 22" a-body shroud fit this radiator? Where do I get one??? This 340 is running waaaaaay too hot.

0614151954_zpsukaxj2tm.jpg

I would guess high alt means high altitude..... Like in a car sold in Denver or somewhere where the air is thinner.....possible a fan shroud or extra core?

not just any 22" shroud will fit. The later model 22" radiators were different. The shroud with number ending in 614 has been repoped. It's for the V8 radiator with lower hose on opposite side but it will bolt right in installed upside down.
Adding a shroud may not solve the overheating problem. I cant say I don't understand why a person spends a bunch of money on a new engine and wont protect it with a new radiator 'cause I made the same mistake myself. I fought overheating and pinging under load for a long time and tried everything else ( less expensive ) first. New radiator was the cure.

not just any 22" shroud will fit. The later model 22" radiators were different. The shroud with number ending in 614 has been repoped. It's for the V8 radiator with lower hose on opposite side but it will bolt right in installed upside down.
Adding a shroud may not solve the overheating problem. I cant say I don't understand why a person spends a bunch of money on a new engine and wont protect it with a new radiator 'cause I made the same mistake myself. I fought overheating and pinging under load for a long time and tried everything else ( less expensive ) first. New radiator was the cure.

Thanks for the info. So, what's the part number for the shroud that's supposed to be on this radiator? Will a 325 work?

I'm pretty sure adding a shroud will cure the overheating problem. I took the car out yesterday when it was 80* out and it ran 190* while moving and crept up to 210* while stopped. Just need better air flow. The radiator has low miles.

I've seen that 325 part number discussed here before but don't know what its applications/differences are. here's the thing.. If you had a larger wider radiator, like the 26 inch wide found in later models, and a 16 inch diameter fan, a shroud there would direct air to those quite large areas not covered by the fan. The shroud for a 22 inch radiator directs air to 4 very small corners and a 2 inch by 12 inch strip that isn't covered by the fan. Thus the benefit is marginal. Good luck

What kind of fan are you running? Regular mechanical, clutch fan, number of blades, etc? Which water pump-regular or high volume?

Doesn't really sound like you need much, so the fan shroud might fix it by itself, but there's a lot more to it than just the radiator and shroud.

Also, I have a couple of original fan shrouds for 22" radiators and I'm pretty local, so I'll check the numbers on what I've got and see if I have what you need.

What kind of fan are you running? Regular mechanical, clutch fan, number of blades, etc? Which water pump-regular or high volume?

Doesn't really sound like you need much, so the fan shroud might fix it by itself, but there's a lot more to it than just the radiator and shroud.

Also, I have a couple of original fan shrouds for 22" radiators and I'm pretty local, so I'll check the numbers on what I've got and see if I have what you need.

I'm running a fixed mechanical fan bolted directly to the water pump (7-blade) with no shroud. It has a spacer which puts it about 1.5" from the radiator. I also have a 7-blade clutch fan I could use, but the clutch is pretty stiff and probably needs replacing. The water pump in just an aluminum stock replacement (Autozone special). The radiator is a stock 4-core unit with low miles.

I've been messaging challengergary. If need be, I'll just pop for a new CC526 3-row 22" radiator and build a shroud since I've heard the reproductions are ****. I'd hate to drop $180 for a shitty repop shroud and I'm not really feeling an electric fan set-up since I have a stock 68 amp alternator and I'd rather not drop $150 for a good one.

If I could find a good stock shroud that'll work, that'd be great! Let me know if you'd be willing to part with one. Where abouts are you anyway?

Majority of the negative feedback on those shrouds is very old. I'll assume the mfgr has corrected the problem and as always the positive feedback doesn't hit the fan.

210 at idle and 190 on the road sounds normal to me.

I took it out the day before (>95*) and it was running at 215*-220* cruising at 2000 and 235* stopped. That's a tad warm for my liking. I'd love to be able to drive it at 95*. Where I live, that's damn near a third of the year.

Yeah it really doesn't sound like you need much, I would bet the shroud would be enough to take care of it. Realistically you're only talking about lowering your operating temps by about 10*.

I checked my stash, I do have 3 shrouds but 2 of them are for 26" radiators. I still have a 22" radiator in my EL5GT so I need to hold onto the one 22" shroud.

It does have the "325" number on it, if that helps you locate one.

I'm thinking if you get caught in a slow crawl that lasts more than 15 minutes, it'll seriously overheat. I got by OK until somebody screwed up and caused a backup on the highway, and when leaving a crowded event. Mine was one of the last cars to leave the hot air balloon thing. Police brought water to us.

I would also try a hi-flo pump with the anti-cav plate on the back of the impeller. But before that I would put straight water in it, with the pump-lube additive.
Make sure your timing is up, And your Vacuum Advance is working. Retarded timing can make a lot of heat.

Yeah it really doesn't sound like you need much, I would bet the shroud would be enough to take care of it. Realistically you're only talking about lowering your operating temps by about 10*.

I checked my stash, I do have 3 shrouds but 2 of them are for 26" radiators. I still have a 22" radiator in my EL5GT so I need to hold onto the one 22" shroud.

It does have the "325" number on it, if that helps you locate one.

Thanks for checking for me. I appreciate it.

I would also try a hi-flo pump with the anti-cav plate on the back of the impeller. But before that I would put straight water in it, with the pump-lube additive.
Make sure your timing is up, And your Vacuum Advance is working. Retarded timing can make a lot of heat.

I've been thinking about a high flow pump as well. Do you know who makes a good one?

I am running straight water in it right now actually. Timing is currently at 18 and 35 all in by 2600.

Thanks for the input.

-
Back