What fitting is this?

-

Mean416

Reaction score
So I'm installing a manual mc. Easy job right? Hell no! I installed an adjustable proportioning valve. Neato. Bent the tiny little line, that was a booger. Started working on the front reservoir line, and that is a weird fitting size. The fittings that come with the kit are coarser thread. Any ideas what fitting this is? Anyway I'm hoping one of you gurus can help!

PXL_20210612_175351001.jpg

You don't say what exactly you are working on and if it is a conversion.
Usually it is wiser to verify parts before you install them. Just sayin...

Master cylinders over the years have always been a problem, using (sometimes) non-standard fittings. Even if they are a standard inverted flare diameter/ threads per inch, they are almost always a thread meant for a larger line size. "They" did that to prevent mixup in the front / rear lines

Over the years you can buy adapters, especially back in the day when people used brake pressure activated trailer controllers.

You have a thread gauge? I'd start there

It's a conversion, going back to manual. 72 dart. I got a 4 hole 15/16 mc. Don't really know other details,pre-fitting parts isn't always possible, just depends on what you have in hand.

It's a 1/2" inverted flare fitting but the typical 1/2-20 thread is too coarse.

You should have got adapters with the master.
The last one I bought had a bag full of adapters. Is that a reman or new ?

It doesn't look like the housing has a inverted flare machined in so you have a tapered pipe thread. You will need a TPT to inverted flare adapter. They are usually brass and you should be able to get one at the parts store or hardware store.

As I understand this was factory

View attachment 1715750858
Yes. This is what I need. Might have to start scouring eBay for used mc.

It's not npt. I pulled out the residual valve on that port this morning, there's a brass inverted flare seat in there.

Really appreciate the help y'all. I gotta find one of those adapters now.

The normal practice is to bench bleed the master before installing it. Conversions are never true bolt ons.
I'll make up some little tubes to "bench bleed" it in the car. They'll attach on the output of the proportioning valve. Or maybe I'll just do it without bench bleeding. We'll see.

In the pictures you can see one of the fittings that came in a fitting assortment I purchased. Alongside one of the plugs that came with the master cylinder. The plug has a slightly finer thread. 0.54 diamater. I'm trying to work out the thread pitch.

PXL_20210612_221439637.jpg

16235361237558540918392994358295.jpg

Certainly straight flare threads and not NPT. Are you 100% that's 1/2" pipe? Usually the larger size is 9/16 "whatever" the thread count is.

In the pictures you can see one of the fittings that came in a fitting assortment I purchased. Alongside one of the plugs that came with the master cylinder. The plug has a slightly finer thread. 0.54 diamater. I'm trying to work out the thread pitch.

View attachment 1715750900

View attachment 1715750901
Well geez, if it has a brass flare inside you should be able to screw a double flared line into it as long as the flare nut is the right size. We can't see what you have unless you show us.

We talking fittings for the mc or valve? Hard ware stores have ferrules in all sizes. If it npt, 1/4-14 for the valve and either 3/8 or 1/2 inch npt for the mc. Too bad you didn’t try the fittings before installation, now you will have to take it all apart to carry the mc and valve into the hardware store.

Even if I have to take it apart it's not a huge deal. I could have it apart in 10 minutes it's only 4 nuts.

My money is on the fittings dana67dart showed on the mc.

View attachment 1715750900

View attachment 1715750901
The one on the right looks like the one that is used on my master cylinder with 3/16 line. I suspect the one on the left is for larger line?

Well geez, if it has a brass flare inside you should be able to screw a double flared line into it as long as the flare nut is the right size. We can't see what you have unless you show us.

I'm not sure what you're asking? As in the car itself? It's a 72 dart swinger.

The MC is a 15/16" 4 hole deal originally intended for front disc, rear drum applications. I'm using it to switch to manual brakes because the engine doesn't pull enough vacuum for power brakes. My car has a disc conversion on the front and rear, and I removed the residual valve from the rear circuit on the new MC. I'm not sure what all cars had this style of MC but I'm guessing it was a lot of them. Besides that info I don't know what else to supply is there anything else I'm missing?

Edelmann #258302 is most likely the adapter for your master cylinder. Most parts stores stock them. If the store has a different brand,they should be able interchange Edelmann to their brand.

-
Back