What gps do you like?

-

deanster

Reaction score
I've been reasonably good this year so Santa is going to bring me a gps for Christmas. I haven't used one before so I'm looking for opinions on easy to use and value. Thanks and Merry Christmas....Dean

Like car gps or out and about gps? TOM TOM for car, for out and about go with garmin i use mine from fishing to hunting to geo-caching :D hope this helps

Car. I usually mapquest when I'm going somewhere new but that doesn't always work out well. Thanks...Dean

I have used both Tom Tom and Garmin and they both work well but find the programing of the Tom Tom a little more intuitive.

I own two Tom Toms now.

I also have a turn by turn app on my iPhone and that works very well too but is slower rerouting if you miss a turn.

i use a garmin.....

now i just need to update the damn thing and i dont want to spend the cash.

Currently looking for a new head unit with the gps in the head unit so i can clean up my windshield.

I bought a Garmin nuvi 255w not long ago for my cursing

I love how this thing attaches to the little front driver side window of my dart, and its legal to attach there and not on windshield, at least in cali. I like it alot more than the navigation system in my parents prius. but it will occasionally stutter when saying street names or directions. I'll post a pic of it on my window tomorrow, I've been wanting to share my love for its fit in my dart anyway. I might say try a tom tom though, just based off what has previously been posted and the stuttering.

I vote Garmin also. I borrowed a cheap Walmart bought version from a buddy last summer. It guided us door to door, Kansas City to Chicago, flawlessly. I think he picked it up for less than $150. Plus, Garmin is based here in KC.

The thing I found intriguing about it was whenever the speed limit changed on the road we were driving on, the Garmin would change it's speed within feet of the highway sign. That fascinated me the whole trip (I am easily amused)!!

I have a garmin, the real expensive ones are great (buddy has one with remote control and all the beels and whistles) My cheap one works well. Do not trust them 100%. Still like looking at a map of where I need to go before leaving the house.

Went to Kansas a few years ago and the Caddy has a coating on the windsheild and the garmin would not work and the external antenna didn't fit it. The couple that was going with us had just gotten a new TOM TOM. Was impressed with it. In some cases had better features than the garmin.

I have read where some Tom Tom has free updates for life.

My $130 garmin wanted like $80 for map updates. That is CRAZY, so I have 2 old garmins and neither one is updated. Don't plan on it either. What does that get you, No new locations, BIG DEAL, so far no problem. Get me close and I'll find it, delivered pizza in my younger days, know how to read a map and how they lay out addresses.

Merry Christmas

Garmin. Get the one that has the life time map updates.

i have two garmins.

this subject comes up quite a bit on a few sites i visit. the garmin seems to be the most popular when people answer the question.

like already stated i don't 100% trust any of the gps units. i guess if i have never been to a city before they will get ya where your going but usually not in the most efficient way..lol.

I have a Tom Tom and I think they do a little better job and are easy to update. All GPS units have the habit of sending you round about way some times but will get you to your destonation.

As long as my iphone 4 works as well as it does to get me where I'm going I'm spending my money on other things.

I bought the wife a Garmin for her car last year. I forget the model right off hand, I want to say 565 but not sure. Anyway it's one that is hands free. You can tell it where you want to go and it works well once you figure out the proper commands. For the woods i have an older Garmin 12. It works great for what I want.

Jack

I have both. I use a Tom Tom in my truck and the wife has a Garminin her car. I like the Garmin slightly better for simplicity reasons. The Tom Tom takes a little bit to figure out but once you do it's not bad. I have taken both on a road trip to NJ and they both basically followed the same route until I got two blocks from our destination. One wanted me to go left around the block and the other wanted me to go right around the block. Our destination was in sight straight ahead of us one block farther.

Thanks again everyone. I picked up a garmin 1300lm with lifetime maps. I'm sure I'll like it....Dean

I might get one if it was free. Other than that, it's just another stupid monthly bill that good marketing makes you think you cannot live without when a 99 cent road map will do everything the GPS will do, except talk to you. Stupid.

-
Back