What have I gotten myself into?

-
Well it's been a while since I posted in this thread and after some employment issues and some other Drama my life is finally kinda on track again and so is the scamp. I have finished all of the major fab work on the car and she is at the body shop getting ready for paint. I'll post what pictures I have here and will continue to update as progress is made.

I would love to see how the shaved drip rail turned out once it is painted. The whole package will be sweet when finished.

What dimensions did you get for the rear end width? What are the backspacing on the 20x12's?

I would love to see how the shaved drip rail turned out once it is painted. The whole package will be sweet when finished.

What dimensions did you get for the rear end width? What are the backspacing on the 20x12's?
The rear wheels are 20X10 wrapped in 285/40/20'S on a 4.5 backspace the housing from flange to flange is 49 3/8" total rear end width 56 7/8 with brake rotors but I havent finalized that yet still need to weld my housing ends on. The drip rail shave was a pita and I'll never do it again unless someone pays me too.

I've been talking to Hemidenny about running one of his k-members and when I file my taxes he will be getting the first chunk out of my return and the other stuff will go to the rear end and air ride.

Thanks for the info, I am in the process of building a rear that is 56 1/2" wide and was curious to how yours measured out.

The drip rail looks like it was a PITA and I was thinking about paying someone in my area to do the same. That is one of the first things that Chip Foose does to every car he builds.

Thanks for the info, I am in the process of building a rear that is 56 1/2" wide and was curious to how yours measured out.

The drip rail looks like it was a PITA and I was thinking about paying someone in my area to do the same. That is one of the first things that Chip Foose does to every car he builds.
The biggest issue I ran into was the fact that there are 3 layers to bond together. and having never cut one apart I had No idea it was that bad. Thankfully I thought ahead and cut little bits at a time and welded it not just hack and weld the whole thing off.

Would it have been easier to drill the spot welds by the windows and take the whole drip rail piece off? Or do you think that would have caused more finishing work in that area?
I will take a pic if needed to see what I am talking about, but my car is not here right now.

Wouldnt have helped the drip rail "shelf" is molded into the roof and door surround. So it sandwiches between the 2 pieces.

How do you like the shaved look? I was wondering how it looked in person as there is that kinda flat area behind it? Can you take a pic of it from the front, looking down the side?

Oh it was worth it. Looks great but I was just helping my body guy mess with it and I need to lay another bead of weld on both sides then he will fill it and smooth it. I'll post pictures then.

Sweet, thanks. I am planning to do the same, but hesitant because it is a pretty big modification.
Did you shave anything else on the car?

Sweet, thanks. I am planning to do the same, but hesitant because it is a pretty big modification.
Did you shave anything else on the car?
Door handles, emblems, sidemarkers, trunk lock the basics. I'm also molding my rear bumper into the rest of the body.

The bumper into the body will be an interesting also. You will have to post pictures of that once it is under way.
I am a member over there also, I will check it out.

The bumper into the body will be an interesting also. You will have to post pictures of that once it is under way.
I am a member over there also, I will check it out.
My body guy looks at me like I'm on crack when I tell him things I want to do to the car.

Did you sell the coys wheels already? I may be interested if you still have them.

Nevermind, read on another site that they had been sold.

2e55cf31.jpg

6c874d4c.jpg

16ce1f58.jpg

2e70a081.jpg

c720b86c.jpg

66a2410f.jpg

147b7b4c.jpg

A few pictures

You should just keep it that bare metal look.. It would be sick if you could put some kind of sealant on it and just roll with it.

You should just keep it that bare metal look.. It would be sick if you could put some kind of sealant on it and just roll with it.
Todd and I tossed that idea around. We have a little surprise ala west coast custom style when she does get paint on her.

One advantage to my new job being at a body shop is all of this is getting done on the side and not costing me a penny.

-
Back