What Heads to Use on my 408 stroker

-

BubbaCuda

Reaction score
What heads would you should i use on my 408 stroker motor.
I have 340 TA heads 3462848 Date code 02170 or should I buy some Edelbrock

This is what I have
360 bored 30 over
• JE dish pistons
• Clay Smith Cam custom grind
• Eagle Cast Crank
• Eagle forged rods
• Air gap intake
• 770 Street Avenger
• Roller rockers 1.6 intake 1.5 exhaust
Hkeller

Wow kinda wide open question,

depends on

Buget:
Street ?strip
Gearing
Trans
How much power / how are you gonna drive it
1/4 or 1 / 8 mile car etc.

I set of factory heads can be made to make decent power, that said if you do some very mlld port work or even just sock edlebrocks you can make a lot more power at higher RPM's.

I would say dtermine the total buget and how much power you want, 400, 450, 500+ HP etc.

Street car 3000-6000 rpm range, 3.91 gears etc.

I am sure a lot of good input will get you on the road to what exactly you want.

I would also say just going over your list of parts the ed's would make more power, I would see the TA's to a collector that is looking for the year.

I have 3.73 gears and a 904. I probably going to buy a 2800 convertor.
The car is going to be street and strip. The short block is done the machine shop is just waiting on me to decide on what heads i will use. My friend gave me those heads and i just realized what they were.

Ethier head doesn't flow enuff for the 408. (Unless it's a stock 340 cam and low compresion exhaust manifolded engine. LOL) Proper porting will be needed for max output.

are you using the roller rockers on the TA heads?

I'd port out the T/A heads myself. Or actuallllly, I'd have BJR do them for me. No need for me to screw things up. The ports, with the moved pushrod, is a great advantage.

Theres allways the Indy/Edelbrock head. I *THINK* you can get them bare.
Just food for thought.

what are the T/A heads worth?...i think i have a couple sets (complete)
been wondering at their value in either performance or money..

360 bored 30 over
• JE dish pistons
How much compression are the 9.0's? The eds with the small chamber will bring it up some. You need to get in the 10:1 ratio no more than 11:1 and yes need some work on the heads for that 408 to breath correcltly too.

what are the T/A heads worth?...i think i have a couple sets (complete)
been wondering at their value in either performance or money..

make sure they are TA heads....the 71 360 heads use the same casting number as the TA heads...sometimes they are mistaken for the TA heads.

TA heads have intake pushrods drilled at an angle and ONLY use TA mechanical rocker arms with the intake being offset...

I'd port out the T/A heads myself. Or actuallllly, I'd have BJR do them for me. No need for me to screw things up. The ports, with the moved pushrod, is a great advantage.

Theres allways the Indy/Edelbrock head. I *THINK* you can get them bare.
Just food for thought.

I vote for the Eddy heads and 2nd the motion to send to BJR for the proper port work.

You can tell the T/A heads pretty easily because the pushrod hump in the intake port is not there like all other LA heads. And it they have the rocker arms with them you can identify them by being adjustable and the pushrod end being offset from the valve end quite a bit. If you can post a pic of them I'm sure there's quite a few of us that can identify them.

edelbrocks are the way to go. im saving right now for a set on my stroker build. my friend has a set on his charger that he had some bowl and blend work done by a guy in morgan hill and he loves these things.

make sure they are TA heads....the 71 360 heads use the same casting number as the TA heads...sometimes they are mistaken for the TA heads.

TA heads have intake pushrods drilled at an angle and ONLY use TA mechanical rocker arms with the intake being offset...

No doubt. When I first got my duster, I was looking over my book of head casting #'s trying to decode the heads on it & thought I had hit a gold mine. Low & behold they are just regular 360 J heads.......

Harold, I may have a new set of Edelbrocks if you are interested. I am not 100% sure if I am going to sell them separately off of the new 360 I have at the machine shop and then sell the shortblock on its own. BTW: There's a brand new Airgap as well but I think you have one all ready.

You can tell the T/A heads pretty easily because the pushrod hump in the intake port is not there like all other LA heads.

The pushrod hump is still there on stock TA heads. The factory machined the pushrod hole over so that the hump can be completely ported out. But stock from the factory they left the hump there just like a regular LA head.

Well, one thing for sure, with the pushrod moved over, you can really open up that port.
What is the compresion ratio with the JE dished slugs with the various cc amounts?
IE; Edel heads @ 63cc
X/J heads @ 72cc

Edelbrocks, and for what you're doing, they dont need porting. Just the usual check/corect stuff.

Edelbrocks, and for what you're doing, they dont need porting. Just the usual check/corect stuff.

I agree.

The ede's are capable of supporting about 475-500hp OOTB.

The cast iron units will require porting for a like HP output of the Ede's. If you need new valves, valve job, guides, surfacing, hard seats, etc., you'll be in 600-800 in machine work/parts. Not that big a price jump to get the ede's and have something that has much more potential for future builds.

I'd get the ede's and have them checked.

Harold, I may have a new set of Edelbrocks if you are interested. I am not 100% sure if I am going to sell them separately off of the new 360 I have at the machine shop and then sell the shortblock on its own. BTW: There's a brand new Airgap as well but I think you have one all ready.

Ben,
I tried to P.M. you but your inbox is full.
Let me know if you decide to sell those heads? I need to buy a set in the next couple of weeks. The machine shop finished the short block and is waiting for me to make a decision on the heads.

Harold

You might want to give Indy Cylinder Head a call, as they got together with Edelbrock and produced a Performer RPM High Flow cylibder head. This is a different head cast with larger ports and featuring larger valves, not just an agressive porting job.
Saw these this spring at their booth while enjoying Mopars at the Strip.
Might be worth checking into, hope this helps.
alan

The Indybrocks have the intake push rod hole machined over like a T/A head so no intake port push rod pinch. They had a CNC ported version in their tent at Carlisle. I am sure they aren't cheap though.

-
Back