What I did for my LEDS

-

6469MOPAR

JACKSON, NJ
Reaction score
First I went to Walmart ,pick up a pair of LEDS ($32.00) pic #1. I used a 5" grinder with a cut wheel .( please use safty gear glasses , gloves ,dust mask)
Becareful grinder bites, Started with red lens,cut slow let cool a little so it doesn't melt and continue all the way around close to gray plastic body.(I forgot to take pic sorry ) Pics # 2,3,4 Now I started to shave down the gray body down to the LED board until it fit in housing, be careful not get to close to board I did and loss 2 lights one on top and bottom Thermal protector fuse blew. (LEDS has 10 lights now I have 8 )still looks good. Also had to cut the black plug down for a better fit in housing.
pics # 1,2 Wiring ,use wire loom to cover up wires and used an old light socket and push wire thru and tape it up. I didn't cut wire harness in car I used squeeze connectors. Done, hope it helps .

Attachments

• LED walmart.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 784
  • wire connector.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 841
  • LED wires 2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 795
  • LED wires 1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 778
  • cut up LED 4.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 796
  • cut up LED 3.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 802
  • cut up LED 2.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 800
  • cut up LED 1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 898
Also cut up lens to fit .

Attachments

• cut up lens 1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 769
  • cut up lens 2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 785
You could use a soldering gun to cut the plastic. I replaced the centers of the tail lights on my 62 valiant that way. They had been knocked out with a hammer!:wack:I bought a couple of cheep marker lights, cut off the lenses,reshaped them to fit and fused them in. They are even water tight.(where I fixed them):blob:

How about one of those LED retrofit bulbs? Weird reflective pattern?
sku_51198_1.jpg

I have no idea if this project is a good idea, but please do yourself a favor and

DO NOT EVER USE SCOTCHLOKS FOR ANY REASON, EVER

attachment.php

By the way, those lamps you bought are known as "Truck-lites" They have been around for a very long time, and are excellent lamps. I use them on my trailer, and used to use 'em in my Landcruiser

attachment.php

Ditto. You state that you didn't cut the stock harness. But you did. Those connectors are garbage. They cut into the wire, making it so it can handle less current, and it also introduces air and water into the connection, and will rust. This will fail eventually, and can also help encourage shorts. Take those things out and solder and seal it correctly. You've got a neat project. Don't cut corners on such a simple part.

Looks cool, but I'm waiting for slantsixdan to drop some knowledge.

I have no idea if this project is a good idea, but please do yourself a favor and

attachment.php

By the way, those lamps you bought are known as "Truck-lites" They have been around for a very long time, and are excellent lamps. I use them on my trailer, and used to use 'em in my Landcruiser

Thanks, going to solder

I like the idea. I thought there must be a way to improve on the single bulb I have now. Thats a good starting point to work with. I can buy those at a most any truck stop for less money. Just a thought.
Thanks

I was thinking of doing something similar on my 65. Thanks for showing me how easy it is. I do have one question. Why was it necessary to put the red lens from the LED assembly under the red lens of the tail light?

I was thinking of doing something similar on my 65. Thanks for showing me how easy it is. I do have one question. Why was it necessary to put the red lens from the LED assembly under the red lens of the tail light?

Ditto on this question looks like you have a very cheap idea that looks awesome once completed.:glasses7:

i did pretty much the same thing using these:
http://www.truckntow.com/pc-22932-147001-sound-off-6-oval-stt-ld-series.aspx

I liked them because they're concave in shape and the led's are mounted in a plastic chrome reflector. They're friggin bright!
I know slantsixdan would disapprove because of the light refraction thing, but my tailight lenses are vertically ribbed, they don't have a centered refractor so I went with it.
Also, since I changed the front parking/turn indicator to LED as well, I now need a PG-3 LED specific flasher unit, otherwise the flashers won't work correctly.
http://hotronicsproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=5

Here's the fronts, I'll take some of the back and with the lights on today and post em later... stay tuned

Attachments

• 002_1_1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 016_1_1.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 365
-
Back