What Is A Good Flexplate For A 318??68cuda!

-

leos68cuda

Reaction score
Hello all!,

I'm looking into buying a good outstanding flexplate, the one I have on my car keeps breaking. This would be the 4th time I replace it, just need to know who makes a good one?

Thank you all for all your help.

S/F
Leonardo

Hey Leo. Welcome aboard.

Are you useing stock flexplates? Have you looked into TCI or other brands? And, how much power are you making that your breaking these things?

Hey Leo. Welcome aboard.

Are you useing stock flexplates? Have you looked into TCI or other brands? And, how much power are you making that your breaking these things?

Well, I paid someone 4,700 dollars to work on my 318, he added 340 heads and a new cam and other goodies. He also re did my transmission. I do not know how much power it putting out, but they keep breaking. I'm tired of changing them out. Pain the nalgas.

S/F
Leo

at what HP should you concider a aftemarket flexplate? I just installed a stock one at about 360hp.

Use a TCI it is a much better design and much stronger than a stock flex plate.I had this same issue and went to a TCI flex plate.I will never use a stock one again.
Jim

what you need to find out is what size bolts you have in your converter...there are two thread sizes....5/26 which is stock..and 7/16 which is usually used by performance converters...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

found these...seems to have all the different bolt patterns and bolt sizes...if your ...break one of these you have other problems ...like alignment between the trans and engine...

a factory flex plate should be more then enough for any 318...are you replacing with used or junk yard flex plates? but whiloe your at it get a new one

a factory flex plate should be more then enough for any 318...are you replacing with used or junk yard flex plates? but whiloe your at it get a new one
Yes sir,

It keeps breaking on me, using the regular $20 dollar one at the local parts store. I had several things done to the engine and transmission.

Thank you
Leonardo

Think I would find out why the flexplates are breaking before I changed another one that will probably break. About the only things that will break them is vibration or the transmission is not properly aligned with the crankshaft. You would notice vibration bad enough to cause the breakage (think paint shaker). Was this engine and transmission ever installed as a unit before you had all the work done, or are they a random mating? Sounds to me like you have alignment issues between the trans and engine. This is easily corrected with offset locating dowels once you find someone who knows how to fix the problem. That's the trick. FWIW, I haven't broken a stock flexplate yet and I've been abusing them for almost 40 years now. :toothy10:

Think I would find out why the flexplates are breaking before I changed another one that will probably break. About the only things that will break them is vibration or the transmission is not properly aligned with the crankshaft. You would notice vibration bad enough to cause the breakage (think paint shaker). Was this engine and transmission ever installed as a unit before you had all the work done, or are they a random mating? Sounds to me like you have alignment issues between the trans and engine. This is easily corrected with offset locating dowels once you find someone who knows how to fix the problem. That's the trick. FWIW, I haven't broken a stock flexplate yet and I've been abusing them for almost 40 years now. :toothy10:

Very interesting, but everybody here is always trying to rip me off by paying an arm and a leg. someone the transmission and torque donut think are brand new. Someone had the balls to ask for $1,200 just to fix the flex plate. I wish i knew someone around here. Damm mechanics.

Thank you for the good information.

-
Back