What is inside a column shift steering column?

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hello, I have a couple of questions re A body steering columns that I hope you can help with. My car is a 68 Plymouth Valiant. It has a column shift auto. Can anyone tell me what, if anything runs through the housing surrounding the top of the column in the engine bay as per the attached picture? I have been told floor shifts have nothing so I am wondering if it is the same with a column shift. Secondly would the steering column be a solid piece or are they hollow? Appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks.

notched 2.jpg

The shaft itself is solid. the shifter is hollow and fits over the steering shaft. A manual shift column does not have the shifter tube in it. What are your planes?

I don't quite understand the question or what it is you expect to find inside the column tube. There's a steering shaft, with or without a shift tube. There isn't any insulation or anything else between upper and lower bearings.

I don't quite understand the question or what it is you expect to find inside the column tube. There's a steering shaft, with or without a shift tube. There isn't any insulation or anything else between upper and lower bearings.
Hi RedFish, I want to retain the original look of the car ie column auto, however for driveability I need more clearance between the engine and the steering column so would like to strip it down to nothing but the column. Because what I have been told has been done before is to relocate any shift mechanism off the column and relocate it under the dash and then set it up like a floor shift. I know it sounds complicated and crazy but it should be possible with some engineering and probably a few headaches along the way.

The shaft itself is solid. the shifter is hollow and fits over the steering shaft. A manual shift column does not have the shifter tube in it. What are your planes?
Thanks Steven, my plans are as per what I just described below to RedFish.

It is straight forward, You can take apart the column and remove the shifter parts. They are reproducing the floor shifter steering column top, if you don't want the shifter handle knob.

Well, sawing the tube off short and installing a bearing is pretty simple when its a floor shift column. Relocting the column shift mechanism to under the dash? I don't know anything about that.
I know I wouldn't want anything like the OEM mechanical linkages under there with my wiring. A shift cable could work I suppose but having the original column shifter actuate that cable still means having a similar arm with same throw/travel under the dash. Good luck with it.

RedFish is correct in that you can shorten the column easily after removing the shifter mechanism. Adding a aftermarket floor shifter is an easy add on, there are many on the market to choose from.
Let us know your thoughts

RedFish is correct in that you can shorten the column easily after removing the shifter mechanism. Adding a aftermarket floor shifter is an easy add on, there are many on the market to choose from.
Let us know your thoughts
As best I can decipher, he wants to keep the column shift operational and gain engine clearance at the same time. This probably has been done. I haven't seen it.

The best way, from his picture, would be to remove the shifter mechanism and shorten the column, to move the lower bearing up, to the firewall flange. Then add a floor shifter.

I don't even see why you NEED a bearing at the botton of the column. Seems to me if you had the bearing at the top near the wheel, you could just as well have NO bearing from there on down, and rely on the coupler to keep things aligned.

I don't even see why you NEED a bearing at the botton of the column. Seems to me if you had the bearing at the top near the wheel, you could just as well have NO bearing from there on down, and rely on the coupler to keep things aligned.
I can't agree with that. A "rag joint' type coupling will absorb movement in multiple directions. Chryslers box coupling... not so much. It is designed to absorb lengthwise travel but a good bit of off center travel would eat the top off it. I doubt the pissy little upper bearing would survive a lot of off center shaft movement. The more it wears the move movement far below.
10 year, 100K mile engineering versus day after tomorrow, 100 mile engineering I suppose.

It is designed to absorb lengthwise travel but a good bit of off center travel would eat the top off it.

?? Only ones I've taken apart kept "centered" just fine. The "shoes" in there all fit together in the cavity and there is not much movement unless worn bad. Of course nowadays there are other joints aftermarket, too.

Hello, I have a couple of questions re A body steering columns that I hope you can help with. My car is a 68 Plymouth Valiant. It has a column shift auto. Can anyone tell me what, if anything runs through the housing surrounding the top of the column in the engine bay as per the attached picture? I have been told floor shifts have nothing so I am wondering if it is the same with a column shift. Secondly would the steering column be a solid piece or are they hollow? Appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks.

View attachment 1715147682
So I don't know if anyone looks at these old threads but this is the end result. I had the local engineering shop remove the outer column and replace it with a new column as close as possible to the inner column. Has worked out fairly well. At the end of the day as long as I can keep the originality of the column shift I am happy.

coupler 3.jpg

I see, column tube diameter reduced to just clearing shift tube diameter in the section. Shift tube and linkage remains unchanged? Congrats on a fine solution.

-
Back