what is the least expensive welder i can get away with ?

-

73 Shwinger

Reaction score
hey gang,
I am looking to do a mini tub set up on my 73 dart and need to do a little welding of course.....this will be the only time i will really use it then it will be used now and then for little jobs don't want to spend an arm and a leg as you can see....thanks for your help and advise!

Bruce

I'll let you in on a little secret, once you start welding you'll keep doing it and improving the car. Be it replace a quarter or floor or trunk or make your own brackets. So I'm saying buy a good one, if you do go to sell it, the good brand name one will bring you more money where you might even break even (if your lucky).

Look for a used Miller or Lincoln on Craigslist. If you cannot afford much, get a 120V AC mig, but get one "with gas."

I have a Hobart Handler. The few times I have used it I liked it. It is a name brand that didn't bust the bank. I have yet to get a bottle for it but I will eventually. I think Eastwoods brand are just rebranded Hobarts from looking at them. IMO I would stay away from the Harbor Freight types. As stated check CL, E-bag and your local pawn shops for a good used one. Just do a good going over before purchase of a used one.

thanks for your help guys! sr71mopar...right now just the one time to weld purches, tubs, and brackets..... i dont know what to really look for? what is the min amps and that kind of stuff....and I am sure you are right 1970Duster once i figure it out the sky is the limit lol

Very happy with my used CL Hobart 140.

I have a Lincoln Weld PAC 135, paid about $400. I have had it for about 8 years and have never had an issue with it. I believe it has been replaced by the 140.

Whether you buy new, used check your local welding supply store and get what they sell. Makes life easier when you need parts or supplies. My neighbor has a Clark and no one has parts in stock and he is always borrowing mine.

My vote is for the 110v miller. Go to the local welding supply store. Most have stores in several cities so do your homework. Not always the best price but you have a door to walk through if you should need help. Try to find wire made in the US. Restoration guy at Carlisle last year said china wire pops and blurbs when asked about ugly welds. Wait if you have to but get the gas.

Friend has one from Harbor freight it works well, but not a lot of amps for cages or thick metal. There might be more. Might check craigslist

I agree with lowbudget and stay away from off brands. Lincoln, Hobart (Made and owned by Lincoln), and Miller is the way to go. Another thing to watch for is if you buy lets say a lincoln at big box store H@me D&pot there is a difference between those welders compared to ones that you would buy at local welding supply place. It is minimal difference, but big box is a step down. Also try and return welder to big box for repair if needed and you probably get the clueless face or hear sorry can't help you. You are better off just dealing with welding supply cuz you bought it there they will make more of an effort to help you out.

you get what you pay for i have a welding shop and build steel rigging for commercial fishing boats and own 5 welders . cheap welders suck and are not fun to use imho get one with adjustable wire and heat settings not the click settings you cant fine tune these and go 220v or rent a good one . dont waste any money on china junk a god welder is fun and easy and will make your welds look like your a ro

I would look at everlast line of welders you will be impressed with the price and function and tech support.

I think Hobart is owned by Miller.

Also I think the Hobarts at Tractor supply are the same as any others (positioned after the acqisition as the consumer model), while the Lincolns at HD and Lowes are more of a "consumer" model, if you will.

Get a 220v. Although some 110v welder will claim that they can weld up to 1/4" material, I am not convinced. For welding in cages and subframe connectors a 220v welder will insure that you get the penetration necessary for a sound weld.

Lincoln, Hobart, or Miller are all excellent welders and will serve you well for years. I'd get their 180 unit. Hobart calls there 180 unit 187, but they are all basically the same.

As for HF, I own one of their 220 units. It welds nice. I'd buy it again. Is it as nice as a Miller et. al.? No, but it was 1/3 the price. Personally I think the HF is as good as the ones sold by Eastwood and others. HF has just updated their welders. I'd get this one if I were buying again.

http://www.harborfreight.com/180-amp-migflux-wire-feed-welder-68886.html

As others have said, get a bottle of 75% Argon and 25% CO2, the difference in quality is night and day. Though the benefit of Flux core is that you can weld outside, you can't weld outside with inert gas, as the wind blows it away leading to weld porosity.

Final note, the NHRA will not certify a cage welded with flux core. As someone with some understanding of welding processess I KNOW that flux core welding can create sound welds, and is used extensively in structural welding, so their refusal to certify cages flux core welded is dumb.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

i would toss around Lincoln and Miller. Hobart would be next in line.

Most welding shops carry Lincoln and Miller for a reason. Because professional welders can stand behind them .. or around or depending how they are welding :)

Also the capability to switch to Stainless wire ... for those stainless jobs :)

75% Argon and 25% CO2 is what i mainly use in my mig welder... but i have played a bit with the flux core wire but if that is the case i use the Arc (stick) because penetration is much better.

if you have 220v in your garage ... go that route and you will smile for many years. (hydro bill too)

Stay clear of the big box store models. Cheapened down internal parts that cannot be fixed, just replaced.

I mainly run with an arc welder on most occasions, but when i get to delicate sheet metal i step down to the MIG

Everything in my shop is Lincoln and never have any issues other then when the hydro goes out. Because i cant weld :)

Once you start welding you will be building things just because you can and have access of joining two pieces of metal together.

Can you borrow a friends?

These recommendations have been covered but I'll second or third or whatever them...

Get one set up for 75/25 shielding gas and make sure it has both continuously variable wire and heat settings and not the just the click stops.

If you can't afford a Lincoln or Miller rent or borrow one for the job at hand. Spending money on an inferior welder is like flushing it down the toilet.

Mine is a Clarke 140en same as the 130en now. Nice little machine can be had on ebay for around $250. Its dont my floors, mini tub, quarters and other patch work.

Just get a soldering gun. They're cheap.

i use a Hobart/Miller Handler 140. Does a good job on sheet metal and stock up to 1/8". Paid about $375. If you're not going to use the welder often, then just rent one. Most weld shops will have just what you need.

-
Back