what is the least expensive welder i can get away with ?

-
Fst73_360 said:
Friend has one from Harbor freight it works well, but not a lot of amps for cages or thick metal. There might be more. Might check craigslist

Stay far far away from the Harbor Freight brand welders. The duty cycle is real low so you can only weld for a minute or two before it over heats and you need to let it cool. Also, there is virtually no parts available.

My wife bought me one and I learned the hard way how frustrating they can be and when the wire feed motor crapped out it went into the trash because you can't get parts.

I do commend my wife for the thought and effort but the Harbor Freight unit was junk.

Some of the cheap welders have poweer to the tip at all times. Once the tip comes close the the material it starts to arc even with out the trigger being pressed...complete crap...spend the bucks you will not regret it.
Al

I weld for a living and we use all miller euiptment. I have my own miller 110 v model 135 (replaced by the 140 now) for home use. I got the welder,cart and small bottle for $900 8 yrs ago and use it weekly and have never had an issue with it. Run the 75/25 gas mix and .025 wire for sheet metal work. Stay away from inexpensive 110v machines with switches for settings,dials offer better heat and feed control. Buy an auto darkening hood also,well worth it .Plus the millers offer the best resale value if you decide not to keep it.

MILLER ALL THE WAY... I went through 2 red box welders (licholn) bought from a welder supply house junk compared to miller... i got no support from them on trying to get them fixed. wanted just as much to buy a new one.

id buy a 180 miller if you are on a buget is the best home welder for the money. Or if you can step up to a 211 thats what i have now and is a great machine.. from sheetmetal to building car trailers its the best.

I have a northern tool 125 (actually on my second as the first wouldn't feed wire, they shipped me another with no problems). I'm getting my money out of it and have done alot of welding in the last week and haven't over temp it. But I too wish I had bought a Miller or Hobart. I only bought the knock off for doing sheet metal as we have a Lincoln 220v at work.

-
Back