What is this Relay?

-

steptoe

Reaction score
I found a good one here. I have everything electrical finally working on the car but cannot identify this relay. A lot of Mopar people have also looked at it and no one knows. It has 3 yellow and 2 black wires on the 3 way plug and also has 1 black wire on the single plug. I found another version of this relay on another car and it had a little button attached to the metal can. Could this be a California emissions car from that era? I can disconnect all wires and everything on the car still worksl. It is NOT the horn, wipers, starter, or heater blower. Maybe it controls the level air suspension (lol). Has anyone here at FABO seen this? Thanks, David

The pics didn't load.

Attachments

• Dart Relay 1.bmp
    22 KB · Views: 422
  • Dart Relay 2.bmp
    22 KB · Views: 406
Those are terrible pics I posted but I couldn't figure out how to resize. The car doesn't seem to care about the seat belts whether they are buckeled or not. But that sounds like a good theory to me.

Auxiliary relay? I seen them on wiring diagrams only...never in pictures or person. Just a guess.

If you're asking about a 74, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards required the 74s to be equipped with a seat belt starter interlock and reminder system (annoying buzzer). The driver and outer most passenger had to fasten their seat belt in order to start the car. The two outer most seat belts had weight sensitive switches under the seat, and would not crank if not buckled. (A grocery bag had to be seatbelted if heavy enough.)

My 74 Dart Sport had a bench seat, and I used to use the center passenger belt to buckle into the driver's connector. I was then able to start the car without actually wearing my belt. Eventually those of us inconvenienced by having to buckle the belts just unplugged the switch under the seat. No more buzzer, no more necessity to fasten belt to start engine.

The device you show in the pictures (larger pictures would have been better) was a manual by-pass switch located under the hood, on the driver's side of the dash panel, between the ballast resistor and windshield washer bottle. In the unlikely event the engine would not start, even though all front seat occupants were properly wearing belts, this emergency by-pass switch could be used. Procedures were:

1. Ignition Switch must be in the "ON" position to activate the by-pass switch.

2. Depress the center plunger of the by-pass switch with an object such as a pencil. (The pointed end.)

3. Turn ignition switch to "Start" position and start engine. The engine can be started and restarted until the ignition switch has been turned "OFF".

4. Should you turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position, the by-pass switch will release and instructions 1-2-3 must be repeated.

Occasionaly your car might not want to crank. Take a pencil out of the glovebox and follow the above instuctions. I don't believe this by-pass switch was on cars after 74 nor was the seatbelt buckled a must to start the car after 74. However they did have buzzers after 74. Those could also be disconnected under the dash without affecting starting.

By the way Steptoe, I grew up in Pascagoula where I bought my 74 thirty-four years ago. Still have it. PM me if you have any more questions. Did you do Cruising the Coast two weekends ago? Highway 90 is still a mess three years after Katrina.

That sure was some good info 1974DartSport.:thumbrig:
If I did not get around to welcoming you to this great site
Welcome sir and glad to have you here with us..:-D

That was some good info. I have a '75 model but I guess it doesn't matter. I also have bucket seats (it came with a bench) and there are no electrical connectors or wires under the seats. I did find a buzzer under the dash and threw it away. I can unplug the entire relay harness under the hood and the car starts just fine. I have noticed on numerous occasions that parts advertised for "A" bodies are usually listed thru the year 1974. What changed in 1975? Do I have another "generation" car? I am still learning Mopars. Oh, I missed almost all of Cruisin the Coast - I had a terrible cold and fever. There is always next year. Thanks for your help, David

-
Back