What is this shim for- 66 Door

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
okay- I went to move my door shells for edge painting and while doing the final blow down of dust- this starts all the sudden bouncing around. I’ve seen these before. But not sure what it’s for.
Any ideas?
Thanks- Joe

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Joe, as a guess I’m thinking either upper door hinge shim or doubler. But that’s just a guess on my part.

Still not sure. I’m relooking at the doors and it lines up with the two holes on the latch side of the door but below the latch. It’s a shim or reinforcement of some sort.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Nice work. It almost looks like ZZ1 paint code. Barracuda or Dart? I wish I had an answer. I haven't had to get inside my 66 doors except to install a companion mirror. By the looks of the hole spacing I would think lower latch bolts.

Nice work. It almost looks like ZZ1 paint code. Barracuda or Dart? I wish I had an answer. I haven't had to get inside my 66 doors except to install a companion mirror. By the looks of the hole spacing I would think lower latch bolts.

Tool Man Mike-

AA1 Silver Poly- 66 Barracuda.

I think it has to do with the window regulators, part of the adjusting bolts, screws....But my memory is fuzzy on that, was a while ago that I did a '66 A body..
Edit, see below

I have it, I am almost sure it is the part that supports the wing window, where it bolts on the door, it slides in a pocket from the top, I think that is correct.

Okay- number crunching car buff friends.
Just cut the inside of the doors for the 66’
What color is this and “yes” it’s factory silver and.....

DFCEA335-E0ED-4813-B3BA-17A3E3AB63D5.jpeg

F07418D2-A47B-42A2-AB18-1541DCF62901.jpeg

060BC8E5-8CFB-4E0E-B041-039635FC6F49.jpeg

okay- I went to move my door shells for edge painting and while doing the final blow down of dust- this starts all the sudden bouncing around. I’ve seen these before. But not sure what it’s for.
Any ideas?
Thanks- Joe

View attachment 1715205028

View attachment 1715205029
Please let me know when you find out for sure where that piece goes. Putting my doors back together and I have one of those that came off during bead blasting.

Bright Red or Dark Red metallic?
Bright red- non metallic.
It was interesting how the stripe was the same color as the interior. Back in 66” the cars came with the fender tag marked for the stripe like my car but it was painted at the dealership. I wonder how many cars left dealer without the stripe? After working at a few dealerships in my day... dealers typically added the sport stuff like a stripe because the same car could appeal to multiple buyers not just the person wanting a racing stripe.

Bright Red or Dark Red metallic?
Bright red but no metallic.

Now I’m really excited to shoot the car. First time in over 30 years the red and silver have been together on my car.
I bought it in 89’ and never drove her but I painted it black back then. Not sure how long the original owner had it in bare metal covered in wd40. That’s how I bought it.

Please let me know when you find out for sure where that piece goes. Putting my doors back together and I have one of those that came off during bead blasting.
I’ll do my best to keep post going so look out for it. I have a few sets of doors I plan on dissecting to reassemble mine. I also have another formula s 66” I plan on taking apart to see about rear side window assembly.
I may do a post for the help section on all the rollup door and window stuff. I’ll know then.

Don’t hate me because I choose to do projects safe and the best way I can. For $2k you can have one also.

Hey, are you implying other people are not safe that don't have one.:poke:
It's not the money that prevents me from obtaining one.
It's the principle of the thing.
Where, pray tell, would I put it if I bought one?
(Don't answer that).

I have the windows out of my 65 valiant doors and I have that same piece attached to the vent window where it attaches to the front edge of the door. I took the car apart 3 years ago and I would have attached it there so I would know this is where it belongs. I will find out soon when I reassemble the windows.

Your project looks great. My buildsheet is not marked off for the sport stripe and never had one

I have the windows out of my 65 valiant doors and I have that same piece attached to the vent window where it attaches to the front edge of the door. I took the car apart 3 years ago and I would have attached it there so I would know this is where it belongs. I will find out soon when I reassemble the windows.
My memory is not completely shot...

Any ideas?
Thanks- Joe

View attachment 1715205028

View attachment 1715205029
The part Mopar Tim and JimMac are referring to is Support 23-64-273 on this page. I have these and it's not the same piece as you have pictured. Note the slots are angled 45*. I'm still trying to figure out where the part you have pictured goes. It was stuck to the inside of the door because I removed all the parts pictured on this page. The guy who beadblasted my doors handed that bracket to me with the doors and had no idea where it was attached.
65 Dart Door parts.jpg

The part Mopar Tim and JimMac are referring to is Support 23-64-273 on this page. I have these and it's not the same piece as you have pictured. Note the slots are angled 45*. I'm still trying to figure out where the part you have pictured goes. It was stuck to the inside of the door because I removed all the parts pictured on this page. The guy who beadblasted my doors handed that bracket to me with the doors and had no idea where it was attached. View attachment 1715206696
You may need to look at the door shell part diagram. It may be there.

You may need to look at the door shell part diagram. It may be there.[/QUO
The part I have for my 65 convertible is identical to the picture and there is a bracket on the inside of the door near the top front edge where the vent window frame bolts on and this piece is required to attach it to the bracket. there are big square holes in the door edge and this piece allows the bolts to attach and enable some adjusting. I also have the ones with the slanted holes and I think they will be on the other bracket holding the back of the vent windows with the door window channel which also has to adjust to fit. I have not installed these yet but I can see where they will go.

The part Mopar Tim and JimMac are referring to is Support 23-64-273 on this page. I have these and it's not the same piece as you have pictured. Note the slots are angled 45*. I'm still trying to figure out where the part you have pictured goes. It was stuck to the inside of the door because I removed all the parts pictured on this page. The guy who beadblasted my doors handed that bracket to me with the doors and had no idea where it was attached. View attachment 1715206696
Thank you for that picture and info!
I’ll figure it out as it has to align with a 2 bolt mount and there are only so many on that door.

-
Back