What is this toggle switch for?

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it an OEM switch and if so what option or option group? Is it for the courtesy lighting I think my car came with but see no evidence of the light near the kick panel on the passenger side. I am in the process of removing a hacked up wiring harness to install a new used one and my current harness has a toggle switch like it but its dangling from under the dash like about 10 other wires that are cut and connected to nothing.
32904922_45553359547900_Orig.jpg

Lettering is blurry, but a Map Light is possible.

What year & model of car & what codes do the fender tag codes show?

That is in fact an oem mail map light switch...with letters that literally read "map light" lol. It should be under the dash unless someone removed it. Mine was near the middle behind the ash tray. 74
$_58.JPG

Last edited:
Rear defog is another possibility depending on model & year.

Lettering is blurry, but a Map Light is possible.

What year & model of car & what codes do the fender tag codes show?
70 Duster
V5X V8X Y05 EN2
G33 M21 N41 N85 N95 R11
EF8 A31 A62 A88 C55 G31
EF8 L6X9 TX9 516
E55 D21 VS29 H0B

That is in fact an oem mail map light switch...with letters that literally read "map light" lol. It should be under the dash unless someone removed it. Mine was near the middle behind the ash tray. 74
I will be removing the rest of the under dash harness soon but so far I have not seen the light, just the toggle switch.

Great color, but no light package.

Does it have a rear defogger?

What color are the wires / tracers?

I have a switch in a similar location on my 73. It is for the rear window heater (defroster).

And I have the same exact thing that says "Map Light" with a black plastic bulb socket on the passenger side under the edge of the dash.
Mine was not messed with and it still works so I know that's what it was on my car originally.

My 70 has the same switch and a under dash light to the right of the ash tray.

I had to check, the map light was available as an extra cost option independent of the Light Package. See the page at;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ershipDataBook/1970/70_Valiant_Duster0006.jpg

It would not show on the fender tag, so do you have a broadcast sheet for it?
I have been trying to track down previous owners of my car with no luck at all. When I got it all of the places a build sheet would've been were out of the car, My car had a bench seat and rear seat to match for a 70 Duster but the fender tag says buckets. There was no build sheet in the wrong seats that were in my car. The glove box liner was shot and no sign of a build sheet. The car had no rug or rear window shelf, headliner and the gas tank was reeplaced before I got the car. I have even searched online for a build sheet but have not found one yet. I will have to go take a look at the wiring to the switch but I think 1 wire is black and one is white. Would this little plate that says map light be a screw on item. I don't think it it slill there but I will take a better look at the dash frame near the e brake for signs of it.

Great color, but no light package.

Does it have a rear defogger?

What color are the wires / tracers?
I wish whoever changed the color would've thought twice and not did it. They did spray the trunk compartment door jams and engine bay which is good when u change the color. I love the F8 Green myself. Some of the Sublime was not applied to the inside of the hood hinge and the green is beautiful. I guarantee they scuffed the car and sprayed right over the original color. I actually asked a question here on FABO about trying to remove the outer paint and see whats underneath. No one answered with any positive info that it could be done. I suppose I could wet sand it for a month and see whats under it..

I see no evidence of a rear defogger. I think all rear package shelves came with the slot opened where the defroster wouldve been located if so equipped. Going by memory I think the wires are one is black and one is white.

It says map light on the bezel, so it's for the map light! The bezel is seperate from the switch, and is held together by the but for the switch! There is a little pin on the back of the bezel that goes into a small hole to keep it from spinning!! The wires should be pink or yellow, which is the color for interior lighting! I can look at my schematic and check for sure!

My '72 Scamp has the map light switch. The map light is located by the pass. kick panel under the glove box. Don't know how you can read a map with that light! That light comes on with the opening of the doors and separately with the switch. It more of a passenger courtesy light.

-
Back