What kind of brakes do we have? Confused...

-
Looks like we've lucked out in all sorts of ways on this. Thanks for all the support.

Wife went to bed early tonight so I went and slid back under the car and confirmed the transmission number is 4058383 6997 1390.

Looks like we've lucked out in all sorts of ways on this. Thanks for all the support.

Wife went to bed early tonight so I went and slid back under the car and confirmed the transmission number is 4058383 6997 1390.
Once you get the brakes rebuilt, you'll have a nice foundation to start with. That slant 6 you have is a great engine, and once cleaned up & tuned will last a long time.

Dependability was one of the things we were looking at. It's got a 225ci in it.

I guess if the transmission was swapped as well, that would explain the aftermarket shifter and where it looks like the hard lines going to the cooler were cut and have a section of hose with clamps. I'm presuming they should be hard lines the entire way. These section of hoses are leaking pretty good.

Not a fan of the shifter either. It's weird.

Dependability was one of the things we were looking at. It's got a 225ci in it.

I guess if the transmission was swapped as well, that would explain the aftermarket shifter and where it looks like the hard lines going to the cooler were cut and have a section of hose with clamps. I'm presuming they should be hard lines the entire way. These section of hoses are leaking pretty good.

Not a fan of the shifter either. It's weird.
Yes, should be hardlines all the way. Probably was a manual and they put in an automatic. I did that on one of my Dusters as well. The manual the car was born with was worn out, and I was on a budget, so traded a guy who owned a boneyard some parts for a used 904 transmission, linkages & cooler lines. Went to the local transmission parts house and bought a torque converter and rebuild kit. A few days later I had a running rebuilt transmission that I put a ton of miles on as my family car. Now you can pull the floor shifter that is in there and replace it with one that would look nice. Sounds like a nice project car!

The transmission cooler tubes were cut at the engine interface w/ rubber hoses added in my 1965 Dart, and maybe my 1964 Valiant too (forget). Seems shop monkeys did that routinely when removing an engine, rather than fuss with the tube nuts at the transmission. If those monkeys also muffed around under the dash, they likely also cut the wires to the steering column (rather than release the pins) and added ugly butt-crimps to attach a new turn signal assembly.

The transmission cooler tubes were cut at the engine interface w/ rubber hoses added in my 1965 Dart, and maybe my 1964 Valiant too (forget). Seems shop monkeys did that routinely when removing an engine, rather than fuss with the tube nuts at the transmission. If those monkeys also muffed around under the dash, they likely also cut the wires to the steering column (rather than release the pins) and added ugly butt-crimps to attach a new turn signal assembly.
Monkey's is the correct term. I cannot tell you how frustrating it was to run boneyards looking for parts only to find someone had cut wires and ruined a harness & cut tubing to ruin cooler lines. Some don't care how they get a job done, but want it done as fast as possible and with the least trouble. Problem is, we who care about our cars must deal with the long term aftermath.

-
Back