What kind of power?

-

lenky1

Reaction score
So I just bought another 71 duster. Motor runs like crazy.I'm wondering what kind of HP u guys think its got. Here the info from the build. 73 340 block. KB pistons borr4.040 stroke is 3.310 valves 2.02 and 1.60 ported and polished. Edelbrock 600cfm carb cam is a summit centerline 292 duration 508 lift. Thanks for any help.

So I just bought another 71 duster. Motor runs like crazy.I'm wondering what kind of HP u guys think its got. Here the info from the build. 73 340 block. KB pistons borr4.040 stroke is 3.310 valves 2.02 and 1.60 ported and polished. Edelbrock 600cfm carb cam is a summit centerline 292 duration 508 lift. Thanks for any help.

You would have better luck in the small block section but I'll guess 360 because of the carb.

That's all I have info wise so far and its actually a 650 carb

was the cam degreed in...and is it advanced...straight up or what?.....

ignition system....like initial timing...total timing....

could be anywhere from 350 to 450 HP depends on few facts missing . If it feels fast to you that's all that counts .

I'm not sure of the gears yet. I know its an 8 3/4 rear end. Ignition is electronic. I will pull the papers tomorrow and see if I can get more info.

Heads are ported and polished.

What heads? X,J, 598's, Edelbrock heads?
Headers? Tube size? Exhaust size?
lol s of missing info, but as a in general guesstimate I'll say 400+.

Congrats on the new car! Enjoy!

Take it to the track with some slicks, post the time slip. that's the only thing that really matters

Somewhat similar to my build. Bigger cam though. I'm around the 400 mark.

Hard to guess power. Especially without more info on heads. If you're in the 10-11 area, you should be in the 400hp area. But yours will come in at higher rpm. Carb sounds a little small for the cam, might choke you at higher RPM. But that's just my opinion.

The biggest thing is the total package. Obviously yours was built and setup with some foresight. There's a lot more to a car than a (insert whatever hp) engine. A 400 horse engine that makes its power at 3500+ is useless without the proper drive train behind it. It's all pieces to a larger puzzle.

Sounds like you'll have fun with the new toy though! Get out and enjoy it!

driving it home wednesday

Attachments

• IMG_20150328_114736_248.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 198
found a little more paper work It says 108degrees centerline after the 292 duration 508 lift. the ignition is accell

Take it to the track with some slicks, post the time slip. that's the only thing that really matters
Slicks for sure , best time I had without slicks was 13.6 , of course was spinning through 1st and most of 2nd gear , was hard to control came close to hitting the wall once . Your lucky as the Duster can fit some decent size tires with no modifications .

Its a 4 speed car with I think the paperwork said hayes clutch,

ANywhere between 360 and 430hp. Depending on the heads more than anything else. Don't worry about the power. Just do what everyone else does and say it's 500hp and smoke the tires a lot in first.

ok so I found some pics of the motor numbers on the heads are 4027596

Casting Engine CI Years Intake Exhaust
4027569 360 1977-86 1.88 1.60

Taken from http://www.mopar1.us/headcastnumber.html. Generally the best head casting resource out there that I've found so far. Obviously running 2.02 valves, there's been some work done. You won't get reliable numbers unless you take em off and flowbench em. Which really, if the thing is running great, doesn't make sense.

If I was you. I would just let people guess at its power and smoke em at the lights. Bunch of numbers don't mean **** to most guys anyways. And no matter what you'll get the "Oh its not (whatever) horse?". Trust me.

And if you really wanted bragging numbers, take it to the strip and see what she does.

-
Back