What kind of transmission do I get?

-
Reaction score
Im looking to get a manual transmission for my sb 318 but i have no clue where to find one, or what kind of transmission it is, any insight will be appreciated.

If it's going to be a floor shift car, get an 833 if you want a 4 speed or a 230 if you want a 3 speed. The transmission will probably be the easy part. Unless you get a complete parts car, the other conversion parts will be a lot tougher.

It is lookin like I will have an A230 3 speed that I am not gonna use if you are interested.

You have good access to several Major swap meets, Puyallup has 1 or 2 each month from now through the fall.
Next up is Feb 11-12 for a general hi-perf meet and then Feb 18-19 for the Early Bird meet. March 17-18 for the Almost Spring meet, and then the big Portland meet 12-15...almost TOO big...

Start collecting pictures and notes so you have some idea what is in front of you.

get a 5 speed trans from a 92-96 dodge dakota 2wd v6 or 318. they are pretty strong and very easy to find. you can also use the flywheel from the v6 magnum truck only mod that you would need to do really would be a shifter relocation

Is there any tunnel modifications nessesary for this conversion in a 71 dart
Im betting that the tunnel for the V6 trans is gonna be WAY bigger than the dinky 71 tunnel. figure a hump fab is in your future with that V6 5 sp, but that is a good trans for the 5th gear and lack of rods.

...county fairgrounds...

...and 360Conquest has a good idea about the AX15 trans, but as noted a tunnel will be needed. The AX15 will be less money than the A-833 if you have time and ability to do the sheet metal work.

-
Back