What MUFFLERS for a 273 ???

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I'm gettin' ready to have the new Manifold-Back duals installed on the 67 Cuda with a 273.......I'm planning 2-1/4" all the way back, and want to know from your experience, WHAT MUFFLERS you guys would recommend for a mellow muscle-tone...not too loud...Gonna use a-Body tips out the back (full tailpipes).............

MELLOW guys.......I want a nice semi-quiet tone inside the car, with a nice "rrrrrrrrip" out the back when I punch the gas.............

What say ye ?? :dontknow:

With manifolds even glasspacks arent that loud IMHO. turbo mufflers are going to be really quiet with manifolds probably too quiet for your tastes. Chambered style mufflers would probably give you the right noise level if you dont mind the tinny noise. A H pipe or X pipe takes alot of tinny noise out of the chambered mufflers, so you may consider doing that. You should probaly go on you tube and type in 273 exhaust and check out what people are running and how they sound.

Well, I definitely don't want that stinking "vacuum cleaner" sound I hear on some cars...........

I want the sound deep and mellow.......I had considered old school glasspacks, BUT thought maybe they'd be too loud..........?? I know Cherry Bomb is out there again, as well as Thrush...........

On the 3 chambered you guys mentioned, what about the tinny or "suckin' sound.........??

I see Thrush has a new fully welded Turbo Muffler aluminized..... (same as Dynomax, I presume.....).............

Any opinions on the sound?

Thrush turbo's don't sound bad, they are pretty mellow cruising and they do have a strong note when you're on the gas.

But my personal favorites are the Dynomax super turbo's. I've used them many times on my own cars. Quiet enough to hear the tunes in your car and loud enough to let bystanders know there's something more than just two hamsters in a cage under the hood. :D

My vote would be Thrush welded turbos. TomMoparMan has them on his dual exhaust Dart sport and that slant 6 sounds like a v8. MIke

I just ordered a set up from Summit........Fully welded, nicely logo'd, aluminized, and ready to go.

I'll let ya' know how they sound.

Our Muffler City here is gonna do a custom installation (including all the pipes, bending, flanges, donuts, welding, etc) for between $225. and $250. using my mufflers, complete with correct tail pipes ready for my new tips.

I don't think that price is bad at ALL..........Drop it off at 9 and pick it up at 4.

Can't wait to hear 'em. It's had a stock single exhaust on it all this time.....talk about Granny goin' fer' the groceries..........8)

We have been pushing the magnaflow muffler here at the shop. It has a nice deep tone and not loud or raspy at all. We have also been using the pypes performance mufflers but they are a little loud in my opinion and a bit tinny sounding kinda like flowmasters. IMO flowmasters are used way to often, and every car sounds the same, they also drone pretty bad. I would go with the magnaflow's for sure.

I have some old Spintechs, are they even around anymore? Big aluminum boxes with spiral sheetmetal dams inside. I heard they didnt resonate at all compared to flowmasters which seem to e falling out of favor, as they sound like a big slow loud VW motor: tink-tink-tink-tink...almost an echo at idle.

I have some old Spintechs, are they even around anymore? Big aluminum boxes with spiral sheetmetal dams inside. I heard they didnt resonate at all compared to flowmasters which seem to e falling out of favor, as they sound like a big slow loud VW motor: tink-tink-tink-tink...almost an echo at idle.

I run the hipo 273 single exhaust into a Flowmaster and then into the hipo resonator. Real nice sound.

I like flowmaster.. But, these Thrush were the best sounding mufflers ever in my openion, wish I could find a pair of these...

67thrushmuffler.jpg

I like flowmaster.. But, these Thrush were the best sounding mufflers ever in my openion, wish I could find a pair of these...

67thrushmuffler.jpg

I had some of those on my Duster when I got it in 1998. They finally rusted away. They sounded KILLER!!

I really like the Dynomax bullet drag mufflers because they sound similar and do not have that drone that Flowmasters have.

If I had my choice today it would be Cherry Bomb.

Those Thrush canisters got me a few tickets back in the day..........

.....'course I never did install any tailpipes..........just dumped 'em in front of the axle housing, OR wired 'em TO the housing.

(yeah right........Like you NEVER wired anything on your old car.......That's where most of Mom's good coat hangers ended up..........) :toothy10:

Those Thrush canisters got me a few tickets back in the day..........

.....'course I never did install any tailpipes..........just dumped 'em in front of the axle housing, OR wired 'em TO the housing.

(yeah right........Like you NEVER wired anything on your old car.......That's where most of Mom's good coat hangers ended up..........) :toothy10:

Thay got me a few tickets also, but it was worth it, those end lips were the only thing I didn't like about them, seemed like thay hung on everything... You used coat hangers---------- Haaa--- don't ya hate it when it's just about twisted tight then it brakes???? I figured out the trick, twist it slow so it doesn't heat up

The Thrush "Welded" series mufflers just arrived by UPS (I STILL don't know how Summit gets stuff here so fast........Boy, it's nice though).....

I figured a picture here is a lot better than a factory "illustration" for some of the guys considering these things for their cars. The seams look great, they're HEAVY (not a single wall, for sure) and they're 2 chambered.....I HOPE they're not too loud for the Cuda.......a 3 chamber would have been great, BUT I couldn't resist trying these out.

116_1699.jpg

The Thrush "Welded" series mufflers just arrived by UPS (I STILL don't know how Summit gets stuff here so fast........Boy, it's nice though).....

Nice muffler, looks like a Flowmaster... Is it just baffles on the inside or does it have packing?

I just ordered a complete summit dual exhaust system that came with turbo mufflers.....but I am going to eventually swap them out for either a set of flowmaster super 40 series mufflers or some hooker super comp mufflers.

two of the best sounding mufflers in my opinion.

very deep melodic tone that you can hear rumbling down the street.

cherry bombs are ok but I just cant stand the "cackle"

those thrush mufflers don't look bad though, they look like a chambered flowmaster.

I bet you get some good sound out of them!.

I also have good luck with summit shipping stuff to me.... I just ordered some stuff last night and it was at my door today.

and my exhaust kit only took 4 days to arrive and thats only because I ordered on friday and had to wait because of the weekend.

Nice muffler, looks like a Flowmaster... Is it just baffles on the inside or does it have packing?

I don't see any 'packing' on the cutaway illustrations......Just baffles......

Well, it was on the lift about a half hour when I got the call to "come down".............

They went over and over how the car would be nearly impossible to fit with duals due to the downpipes and such........I talked with them for a bit, and they decided it wouldn't be that difficult after all.......(??).........

Sometimes I have to wonder why I didn't just buy my own lift and do all this stuff myself. After careful consideration and my advice as well, they decided to cut and refit the existing flanges and downpipes, and do a full dual set-up like I initially asked for........Of course, they can't find any tailpipes, and though I was assured they could get them (???) they can't find them anywhere.

SOooooooooo, I told them to dump the mufflers with small turndowns until I find the correct tails.

Classic car life has very few dull moments.

It didn't take long when laying in the new "downpipes" to realize that I wouldn't be able to change my oil filter with the duals installed...........

So,,,,,,,,had to order a filter relocation kit from "Bullfrog Speedshop" in Zephyrhills, and he had it to me OVERNIGHT with no shipping!!! These guys are great.

Dropped it off, and they're installing it now. So far, the duals are fittin' up nicely.......The Thrush Welded series mufflers look GREAT under there.......and let me tell you that my guy at "Muffler City" in Zephyrhills can WELD...beautiful beads..........

They've had the car on the lift now for 5 days (waitin' for me to get some tailpipes, which ended up bein' "patterns" only...but it got me through....and then the relocation kit), tweakin' and gettin' the layout just right........Can't say enough about our locals here so far........

When they finish it up, I'll post a photo spread and try to get a good sound bite of the Thrush mufflers posted.

-
Back