What? 'Nother 360 magnum on the dyno?

-
That's hellified.

Here ya go Rob, my favorite run from today. After removing the Summit Racing $129.97 headers, we put on the Pace Setter Performance long tube headers part number 70-2213 that he is going to use on his truck.

Lost a little torque on the bottom going from 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 tubes.

Put on an Edelbrock Performer 1407 carb and started leaning 'er down. WOW did we have to lean it down!

RPM................TQ/HP

2600..............365/181
3000..............383/218
3200..............402/245
3500..............409/272
4000..............415/316
4500..............419/359
5000..............408/389
5100..............407/396
5200..............400/396
5300..............395/398 GO BABY.......GO!
5400..............392/402
5500..............386/405
5600..............370/405

We had one run at 413 horsepower and never could back it up, but half-a-dozen runs today went over 400 HP.

How much port work was in the heads ?

I don't know how to quantify it.........other than......

Today, while we we doing the testing, my son said to me, "Four hundred horsepower dad, when I figured 320-370, I could have done so much more to those heads!"

Six or seven years ago he was getting 298 cfm from "J" castings and 277 cfm from the "675" 318 castings.

Damn-I ought to have my brother send his service replacement J heads to you for some port and chamber work for his new 0.060" over 340 project

What is it with the lopey crap? If you don't need the lope, why bother? You think it makes you look tough? Buncha cars lope that can't spin the tires. How cool is that? It's like buying yourself a trophy to put on the mantle.

We're gonna hafta put a raunchy exhaust on it for him. Make it sound like it lopes.

Interesting question, maybe we should also ask

what is it with building a nice sounding exhaust?

What is it with having nice paint and bright chrome work?

What is it with driving old cars when new cars have so many advantages?

what is it with wanting to change cars from their factory configuration?

What is it with liking anything at all?

Sometimes, you just want something to be cool just for the sake of being cool.

Nice numbers on the build, sounds like it'll really get up and go:burnout:

I have to admit I want the lopey idle... was considering a thumpr (oh the shame :angry7:) but tire burnin low end grunt is the first priority.

Nothing to be ashamed of, I run the smallest thumpr in my 318 and really enjoy it. In fact it made almost identical horsepower per cubic inch to this motor, not nearly as impressive torque numbers though.

In it's defense it was only running unported 2.02 J heads and a flat tappet cam.

Man thats a nice build! Makes me curious about the magnum I just built and sold. Similar cam size, stock valves but I ported the heads, LD340. Its going in a 78 Ram 3/4 ton 4x4 with 35" tires. Thinking that it will make him happy. Also thinking it would have been fun inmy 68...

Interesting question, maybe we should also ask

what is it with building a nice sounding exhaust?

What is it with having nice paint and bright chrome work?

What is it with driving old cars when new cars have so many advantages?

what is it with wanting to change cars from their factory configuration?

What is it with liking anything at all?

Sometimes, you just want something to be cool just for the sake of being cool.

frosty_the_punk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
I have to admit I want the lopey idle... was considering a thumpr (oh the shame ) but tire burnin low end grunt is the first priority.
Nothing to be ashamed of, I run the smallest thumpr in my 318 and really enjoy it. In fact it made almost identical horsepower per cubic inch to this motor, not nearly as impressive torque numbers though.

In it's defense it was only running unported 2.02 J heads and a flat tappet cam.

The truth is I think like your quote above. I'll build it my way, and encourage others to do it their way. I'm really just inserting some humor, and giving respect to members who know far more than I and dislike the Thumpr. I do believe the Thumpr cams are a compromise of sorts, but not necessarily a bad one.
Now a may have stepped in it :argue: :eek:ccasion:

That's fine, I'm not out to create conflict with anyone.

I just happen to think that the thumpr cams are well designed and my dyno horsepower and torque curves support this idea,

The chrysler version of the thumpr intake lobes are listed in the master catalog as being a little more aggressive than the xtreme energy series, which themselves are highly regarded for making power.

The exhaust lobes on the other hand have a slower rate of lift, just slightly more aggressive than that of the high energy series.

Put some 2.5" tubes, noisy turbo muffs and no crossover of any kind and it will sound choppier.
40 series Flowmasters are the best for obnoxious sound.it will for make the car sound loud and fast. I had them on a 71 camaro long time ago with a stock 350 and it sounded like an 11 second car but only ran high 15's.

I personally don't think that a loud exhaust is much of a substitute for a big cam if a mean idle is part of the sound you're looking for.

Great timing. I was just starting to research 400-450 HP 5.9 builds.

Not a lot of info to be had.

x2 on tq curve!!

Does that cam use the factory lifters or do you have to use the comp lifters?

What do you think might be the "next step" to get to 425 or 450 without losing too much torque?

x2 on tq curve!!

What do you think might be the "next step" to get to 425 or 450 without losing too much torque?

Factory lifters.

x2 on tq curve!!

I'll say heads.

Tails anyone? :)

YY1 posted: Great timing. I was just starting to research 400-450 HP 5.9 builds.

Mopar Action just started a 2500.00 budget/425 hp bogey article. The original short block looked good. Started this month's issue,finish next month.

YY1 posted: Great timing. I was just starting to research 400-450 HP 5.9 builds.

Mopar Action just started a 2500.00 budget/425 hp bogey article. The original short block looked good. Started this month's issue,finish next month.

Kinda sounds like a repeat of the "junkyard jewel" article which claims 448 hp using eddy heads. TQ was down a little at lower rpm (373 @ 3000, and peaked at 434 @ 5000).

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0804_small_block_mopar_engine/viewall.html

Possibly, Idaho. Richard Erhenberg(tech editor),usually sticks with the smaller Mopar only vendors.He's likes technology,that's for sure. My guess ,Hughes.

How do you think this combo will work with the stock injection?

I have a 97 B2500 van that I pull my Duster with on an open trailer.I would like to get some more torque out of it. The engine is stock with the exception of the M-1 TB intake and a set of rare carb legal MP b-van shorty headers.

-
Back