What plugs do you run in your HP 273?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was discussing my 273 yesterday with a sharp young tech, He asked me how my 273 turned out. I told him I really wasn't happy with how it ran from the start. It kinda' blubbers and pops through the exhaust. I have tried 2 different carbs, 3 distributors, a different coil, and many settings and checks. He asked me what plugs I was running. I said Autolites but I couldn't remember the number. He had quite a few hot rod engines that he had built that ran like crap until he changed the original plugs to a heat range or two hotter and they ran great. I checked the manual and it lists N9Y Champions. The Champ website lists RJ14yc plugs which are 5 heat ranges hotter than the originals. If I crossed the n9y's to a Autolite they could be colder than the N9Y's. What are you guys running? tmm

You read my mind Mike. I am planning on running NGK GR4GP, but I would like input too.

Summit and Rockauto both list the 14yc's but I'm sure that is for the 2 barrel engine.

Boy that would be great if I could change plugs and clean up how it runs. It acts like it is too rich or it has weak spark. Too cold makes sense.

It was explained to me when I was building my dune buggy that a hotter plug is used for stop/go type driving or city driving, colder plugs for highway type driving and many times a stock type plug for highly modded engines.

Found this article though and thought it might be helpful.

A common misconception of many people are the terms "Hot" spark plug, and "Cold" spark plug. The temperature rating of the plug refers to the running temperature of the physical spark plug - i.e. a "Hot" plug will retain more of the combustion heat in the plug itself, meaning not transfer the heat to the engine itself. This is why a "Hot" plug is needed for slower city type driving so the carbon deposits will be burned off the plug, and clean firing will still be possible even when combustion temps are low (idling, stop & go etc.). At the same time a "Hot" plug used in a highly modified engine that is driven hard consistently will simply retain too much of the extra combustion temperature and burn itself up (usually cracking the porcelain, and potentially doing major engine damage).

A spark plug that is too "Cold" for the engine/application will start harder, foul much easier, and generally be a pain to work with.

For engines that are not significantly modified for racing, we have had very good luck just running the stock plugs. For street ported engines driven hard on the street, the most we have had to do is move one or two heat ranges colder. This lack of change is because the engine is still driven at normal speeds and loads for 99% of the time.
Spark Plugs

Racing engines, for the most part, are above 7000rpm 100% of the time - these are the ones that require the colder plugs. Quite often a set of "hotter" plugs must be used to get the engine started and warmed-up, because the race plugs will not fire consistently below 4000rpm.

Spark plug choice, for any given engine, can then be stated as "Hot" enough to fire consistently at the lowest RPM and load normally needed (without fouling), and not overheat (and burn-up) at the highest RPM/load for the given application. This translates to : The "Hotter" the engine (turbo, modifications, load, usage, etc.) the "Colder" the spark plug needed.

It was explained to me when I was building my dune buggy that a hotter plug is used for stop/go type driving or city driving, colder plugs for highway type driving and many times a stock type plug for highly modded engines.

Found this article though and thought it might be helpful.

Sounds like I need a hotter plug. I'm thinkin' that 5 heat ranges is way too cold.
Thanks for the info. tmm

I was looking through some original 1966 info I had in a notebook. I have a tune up guide with specs and part numbers. It lists the n9y for the 4 barrel and n14y for the 2 barrel engines. Interesting that they use such a cold plug for the 4 barrel engines. tmm

A hotter plug might improve the firing of todays puppy pee they call gasoline too.
OEM specs are meant for yesterdays fuel.

Puppy pee..........that's a good one Redfish! LOL tmm

Spark gap also matters. The factory 0.035" gap is only if running points. If you move to electronic ignition like HEI, you can go as wide as 0.060" gap. That will help ignite leaner mixtures too. If it misses under wide throttle at low rpm, reduce the gap a bit. Little reason to use points today since electronic ignition is easy and cheap.

What signals the coil doesn't have a bearing on the coil output voltage.
I know a wide spark gap is common with modern high voltage coils.

Chrysler electronic ignition isn't high energy ignition. Our coils are mostly the same as they always were. I really dont know how far that spark will jump efficiently. Since the gap grows wider with usage I think staying with the .035 gap when new is best for the majority of us.

Redfish is correct. If you keep the factory coil, you must keep the ballast resistor and run a 0.035" gap. The old Mopar electronic ignition requires a ballast coil, so minimal bang for that upgrade. Better is a GM HEI ignition. Several posts on that (search). Change to an E-core coil and eliminate the ballast, then you can run up to 0.060" gap. You can use a Magnum, GM external, or after-market coil. The GM 8-pin module and coil is simplest. ~$15 junkyard after you get a Mopar electronic distributor.

I just pulled a plug for a look. I had put in #63 Autolites which convert to RN9YC
Champions. By the looks of the plugs I think I'm going to switch to Champs and go a couple ranges hotter (like a 12YC) and see how it runs. The plug looks somewhat between normal and carbon deposit with the porcelain a grey/brown color. I'm glad it didn't look like most of the rest in the chart. LOL tmm

Attachments

• reading_spark_plugs.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 329
1965 273 dartcharger oem /stock is N9Y .. cold plug for high compression 10.5:1 engine. . 035 gap.

Attachments

• uk charger drv side.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 293
ALL original 1965 273 dartcharger

Attachments

• uk charger engine.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 304
Just for fun I got on the Autolite website. They list #64 for the 4 barrell 273. If I put in 63's I am a heat range colder yet. I'm not going to trust conversion charts. tmm

I'm sure i had the 9yc's in originally. My compression ratio is 9.6/1 which is 1/2 way between the original 2 and 4 barrel compression. I think I'll put in a plug that is in the middle of the heat range. I always warm the engine up but I do a lot of stop and go driving with the ol' Dart so a bit hotter plug should work best.

I stopped down to NAPA earlier this afternoon and picked up some RN12YC's (404's) and gapped them at .040 and put them in. They are 3 heat ranges hotter than the originals and 4 ranges hotter than the Autolites I put in for my rebuild. I could tell they were better from the second I started it cold. It ran clean with no misfire or blubbering. I warmed it up a bit and took it out for a drive. Much better.....a noticeable difference. tmm

I stopped down to NAPA earlier this afternoon and picked up some RN12YC's (404's) and gapped them at .040 and put them in. They are 3 heat ranges hotter than the originals and 4 ranges hotter than the Autolites I put in for my rebuild. I could tell they were better from the second I started it cold. It ran clean with no misfire or blubbering. I warmed it up a bit and took it out for a drive. Much better.....a noticeable difference. tmm

Good to know TMM. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Got a chance to take the Dart out for a hour and a half highway cruise. The more I drove the better it runs. I would imagine there's some carbon that needs to get blasted out from the cold plugs. tmm

I just pulled a plug for a look. I had put in #63 Autolites which convert to RN9YC
Champions. By the looks of the plugs I think I'm going to switch to Champs and go a couple ranges hotter (like a 12YC) and see how it runs. The plug looks somewhat between normal and carbon deposit with the porcelain a grey/brown color. I'm glad it didn't look like most of the rest in the chart. LOL tmm

Them are some crusty looking spark plugs...

-
Back