what rotors fit?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
what rotors would fit on a 73 and up disc brake setup? Can I upsize rotors? (this involves upsizing calipers correct?) If so will any 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern rotors go on?

What are you ultimately trying to accomplish? What is wrong with the rotors you currently have? Are they worn out? You can get new 73-up style rotors from NAPA or rockauto for about 50 bucks each...

What are you ultimately trying to accomplish? What is wrong with the rotors you currently have? Are they worn out? You can get new 73-up style rotors from NAPA or rockauto for about 50 bucks each...

I do not have any at the moment. Just a question of curiosity. Bigger rotors = better braking, just like bigger drums.

The 73 had a 11" rotor. The later b body had a 11 3/4 rotor. You can go to mopar mucle magazine's website, go to tech, and look for Swapping A & B Body Disc-Brake Spindles - Debated Usage. They show the two different caliper brackets for each rotor. I think u use the same caliper.

Yes, you can install the larger rotor as rick4106 said, and you would reuse the calipers. You would just need the correct rotors, the correct caliper adapters, and possibly the correct bearings. I've done it. It's a simple swap.

cant imagine 3/4 inches more is going to have any effect fro all that trouble of locating the caliper brackets,,,

The 11 inch rotors will stop you fine.No need to spend extra when you need many other important parts.

cant imagine 3/4 inches more is going to have any effect fro all that trouble of locating the caliper brackets,,,

I agree. Besides, i feel that my 73' disc brake duster stops really well on the oem rotors.

I've mounted up rotors as large as 15 inch diameter on the '73+ knuckles. Kits are available to do that if you have the money. I usually use a 13 inch rotor on my projects because they will fit under 17 inch rim.

'73-'75 A body Rotors are the same and readily available at any auto parts store.
The '76 A body uses the 11.75 rotor set up if you can find one.
Also, you can not use 14" wheels on the '76 as they will not clear the Calipers.

Later,
Bruce B.

PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST UNTIL DELETED

'73-'75 A body Rotors are the same and readily available at any auto parts store.
Also, you can not use 14" wheels on the '76 as they will not clear the Calipers.

Later,
Bruce B.

Thank you bruce! :cheers:
I remember u saying this to me.
I think when I do find the disk brakes off the '73-'75 or a '76 whichever I find first. Hoping to find a '76 setup but I can always upgrade a '73-'75 setup to accept the '76s bigger rotors later on.
Just wondering if there was some kind of catch but the '76 really isnt gonna improve much as someone else said as its only 3/4" bigger

As mentioned above, the 73 up A-body rotors are all the same, as well as the rotors on just about any 73-85 Mopar almost all of them had the same 11" rotor, Aspen, Valari, Diplomat, 80's New Yorkers etc. These rotors are also used in the street rod market to get the 4 1/2" bolt circle. (they use the Camaro/Firebird rotor for 4 3/4" bolt cir) The difference on some cars is the bearings so be sure to use the correct bearings and races for your spindles.

The 11 3/4" rotors came on the larger cars like the Magnum, Cordoba, Mirada as well as Taxi cabs and cop cars. You can use them on the A-body spindles if you use the correct caliper brackets but you can't use them with a 14" wheel.

As mentioned above, the 73 up A-body rotors are all the same, as well as the rotors on just about any 73-85 Mopar almost all of them had the same 11" rotor, Aspen, Valari, Diplomat, 80's New Yorkers etc. These rotors are also used in the street rod market to get the 4 1/2" bolt circle. (they use the Camaro/Firebird rotor for 4 3/4" bolt cir) The difference on some cars is the bearings so be sure to use the correct bearings and races for your spindles.

The 11 3/4" rotors came on the larger cars like the Magnum, Cordoba, Mirada as well as Taxi cabs and cop cars. You can use them on the A-body spindles if you use the correct caliper brackets but you can't use them with a 14" wheel.

Thank you as well Blownfish, When upgrade to disc, I will have a nice pair of 4.5"BC wheels that will be over 14"

Later,
Bruce B.

Whoever told you that a 1976 A body automobile uses a 11 3/4 inch rotor is blowing a lot of smoke at you.
That statement is totally incorrect, and you are giving out false information to the readers of this posting.
All the 73 to 76 A body cars use the 10 3/4 inch rotor. Nothing else, no exceptions.
None of the A body cars used a "big" rotor.
If you wan't a taller rotor you find them on 1976 up Cordoba, Magnum, St. Regis, Newport, Fury, body style automobiles.

Whoever told you that a 1976 A body automobile uses a 11 3/4 inch rotor is blowing a lot of smoke at you.
That statement is totally incorrect, and you are giving out false information to the readers of this posting.
All the 73 to 76 A body cars use the 10 3/4 inch rotor. Nothing else, no exceptions.
None of the A body cars used a "big" rotor.
If you wan't a taller rotor you find them on 1976 up Cordoba, Magnum, St. Regis, Newport, Fury, body style automobiles.

That's what I was saying, they never used a 15" wheel on an A-body from the factory either.

The smaller rotors are 11" though. I have 3 or 4 sets in the garage some measure 10 7/8" and some measure 11" I guess it depends on the manufacturer but they are all considered 11" rotors.

Ok guys.
The reason I said that is I have had 2 1976 Dart Custom Sedans and they both had the 11.75 Rotors and 15 inch rims And BBP 7-1/4 Rear Ends.
I bought both cars from the original owners and both cars were as bought new down to the body color rims.
I do not post information that I have not verified myself in the 30 years I have been working on mopars.

I am also ok with being corrected if I am wrong on something.

So if this info is incorrect all I can say is thats mopar for you.

Later,
Bruce B.

Ok guys.
The reason I said that is I have had 2 1976 Dart Custom Sedans and they both had the 11.75 Rotors and 15 inch rims And BBP 7-1/4 Rear Ends.
I bought both cars from the original owners and both cars were as bought new down to the body color rims.
I do not post information that I have not verified myself in the 30 years I have been working on mopars.

I am also ok with being corrected if I am wrong on something.

So if this info is incorrect all I can say is thats mopar for you.

Later,
Bruce B.

There is NO way a 76 Dart left the factory with 11 3/4 inch rotors and 15 inch wheels.
You are mistaken. It's like saying you had a 76 Dart that left the factory with a 426 Hemi.
Im not wanting to get into a pissing contest with you here, but this is the first time i have ever heard of someone saying a A body Dart was constructed with the components that you are saying. Just not true.

Please go to this site/page,
http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html
Go to the section titled "Starting Point",
Read the that section;

"The factory finally got their act together in 1976 with the introduction of the 11.75" unicast police rotors with cast-in reinforcing ribs (see fig. 2)". It's these rotors that we're going to install on our subject car, a '71 383 'Cuda. We’ll deal with the actual how-to-do-it part of this swap with a set of detailed captioned photographs, which will walk you through the entire procedure, step-by-step.

Maybe it was because both my Darts were fleet cars?
1 was an A38 Police Dart the other was a factory Taxi.
I dunno.

Later,
Bruce B.

Yes, i'm familiar with that magazine article.
It DOESN'T say a darn thing about 11 3/4 rotors on a A body automobile. It states the 11 3/4 inch rotor STARTED in 1976 on the Cordoba, Magnum, line of cars.
Being a police, or fleet, car has got nothing to do with it either. There NEVER, EVER, was an A body that left any of the factory assembly lines with 15 inch wheels and tires.
Believe what you wan't to believe, but you will be wrong in your thinking.
It's very easy to change the caliper mount, and then install the 11 3/4 inch rotor, and then 15 inch wheels, and that's what probably was done somewhere in the life of the car that you are talking about.
But Mother Mopar didn't do it.

Fine Ok

Moderators: Please delete my posts to this thread.
I do not want anybody to get steered in the wrong direction by any "Incorrect" info that I post.

Later,
Bruce B.

Guys, I've been turnin wrenches since 1974. One thing I've learned through the years is to NEVER say never.....especially with Mopars. This paragraph is straight from the wiki web site.

"A38 Police Package
In 1976, the Dart was offered with a police package, with production code A38. The A38 Dart had the highest-specification components and systems throughout, including a heavy-duty suspension with a rear sway bar,stronger leaf springs and firmer shock absorbers, larger brakes with semi-metallic front disc pads, maximum engine cooling, and high-capacity alternator and battery. The engines were Chrysler's 225 Slant Six, 318 V8, and 360 cu in (5.9 L) LA V8 (220 H.P., with non-catalyst in 49-state models and a true dual exhaust; California models had a single exhaust with the catalytic converter) with an A727 TorqueFlite transmission. Police-specific equipment such as a calibrated speedometer ("Certified" 120 mph), high-intensity dome light, and wiring harness for a rooftop light bar were standard equipment, and an A-pillar spotlight and push bars were optional. Production volume was low, with most A38 Darts going to the Los Angeles and Ventura Police Departments in Southern California. For the most part, police agencies preferred the larger intermediate Dodge Coronet or full-size Dodge Monaco."

Note where it says LARGER BRAKES. this is specifically talking about ONE year, 1976. that means, that the rotors had to be larger then the standard 10.97" (11") ones used prior to 1976. Bruce has been at this even longer than I. before yall accuse someone of misinformation, you should really think about it. If the A38 cars had the 11.75 brakes, which it seems possible now, surely, that same POLICE and FLEET package might have had 15" wheels. Bruce and I were working on these cars when they were still sold NEW. I would keep that in mind. No need to be disrespectful. Lastly, I'll end with this. I had a 76 feather duster years ago with the large rotors AND 15" wheels. I bought that car from the original owner who never changed a thing. believe what you want.

here is the link to the above info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Dart#A38_Police_Package

Ok. If you want to challenge my credability too. Go ahead.
For me i have been professionally wrenching on cars since 1980 when i got out of the Air Force.
Having worked at a shop here in California that had a contract to work on State of California fleet vehicles, and CHP vehicles, on a rotating basis, i have seen, and worked on lots of different vehicles that this state had in their fleet of cars.
In all the time that i saw, or worked on state fleet vehicles that came into the shop, i never saw a Duster or Dart that had 15 inch wheels or tires on it. If you think someone was going to have fleet vehicles like this, wouldn't you think California would?
And i did LOTS of tire rotations, air pressure checks, and brake jobs, on these cars.
I don't know this guy Bruce, and he doesn't know me, and just because somebody's been posting on some internet web board for a bazillion years doesn't make it right to pass along information to some kid, on this board that now believes he's going to find a 76 Dart with 15 inch wheel and tires on it, or anyone else reading the posting.

The 11.75 rotors came on the B and R body cars. They fit perfectly on the A body spindles and Ma Mopar should've put them on there but she didn't. Same thing with the FMJ cars. It would've made sense to put the 11.75 rotors on those cars, especially the police package cars but the engineers just didn't think to do it for some reason. That is kind of a bummer because it really limits the number of 11.75 caliper adapters that a person can find in a wrecking yard.

In a wrecking yard about the only way you'll ever find the larger 11.75 setup is to look for a 1976 or newer Cordoba or similiar car. Late model B body cars or R body cars is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back