What rpm stall converter should use?

-
Has Anybody used or knows about Dice Torque Converters in Southern California?
Someone had one for sale here a quite a few months ago, can’t remember if it was initially built or refreshed by them. Not sure if it actually sold, but it was by Dice. Might search and reach out to seller or possible buyer for any info:thumbsup:

Send you a PM ….
The engine is a fresh .030 over 2000 360 magnum out of a Dodge truck and has a hydraulic roller cam in it already. Can I use factory stock roller lifters on a good Street/strip cam? I can imagine I will probably will have to change the valve springs too. By the way it has 14.5-15.5 inches of vacuum at idle. Does that give any indication of what size the cam may be?

Last edited:
The engine is a fresh .030 over 2000 360 magnum out of a Dodge truck and has a hydraulic roller cam in it already. Can I use factory stock roller lifters on a good Street/strip cam? I can imagine I will probably will have to change the valve springs too. By the way it has 14.5-15.5 inches of vacuum at idle. Does that give any indication of what size the cam may be?
You can reuse your factory roller lifters on any bud roller cam. (And as I’m told, a solid roller too. Why you would, IDK!)
The amount of vacuum your drawing isn’t much of an indication of anything except it’s a performance cam.
Being it is a fresh .030 rebuild, what pistons are used and what compression ratio is it now?

You can reuse your factory roller lifters on any bud roller cam. (And as I’m told, a solid roller too. Why you would, IDK!)
The amount of vacuum your drawing isn’t much of an indication of anything except it’s a performance cam.
Being it is a fresh .030 rebuild, what pistons are used and what compression ratio is it now?

Stock pistons 9:1 compression ratio.

I wouldn't put hydraulic lifters in anything. Nobody really makes a good one. Go solid. More power and more reliable.

I’m asking so many questions because I’ve been away from Mopar for about 32 years. The Last Mopar I bought before this one was one I bought from GTX John in 1984,it was a Bob Lambeck prepared C/stock road runner 440 6-pack 4 speed car that I used to street race, and Occasionally take to the strip.

Last edited:
You know I do. I had L 60’s on that car too, I bought it from an old lady when I was working at Felix Chevrolet, she was going to trade it in. It was like brand new she hardly drove it.
Wow! That old lady must've been pretty cool to own a 340 duster!

I’m asking so many questions because I’ve been away from Mopar for about 32 years. The Last Mopar I bought before this one was one I bought from GTX John in 1984,it was a Bob Lambeck prepared C/stock road runner 440 6-pack 4 speed car that I used to street race, and Occasionally take to the strip.
No need to justify. You're doin the right thing. Too many people on here just forge ahead and never listen. Not that you certainly cannot build whatever you want your way, but you'll see a pattern on here of people asking for advice, getting good sound advice from a group with over 100 years collective experience and turning around and doing the exact opposite. lol

That’s funny. There is a lot of good information being shared, I’m glad there is a website like this. Thanks you guys.

Last edited:
Some of The Stock and Superstock cars out West run Dice converters.
We do not though!

Last edited:
Some of The stock and Superstock cars out West run Dice converters.
I do not though!
Thank you John, I’m going to contact them on Monday. My trans guy called and let me know my 727 trans is ready. Now I need to get the torque converter.

Last edited:
If it turns out you are not comfortable with them or their pricing =
I have approximate 20 various 727/904 Aftermarket Converters that have only
a few testing run or very little use for about 1/2 price or sometimes less.

If it turns out you are not comfortable with them or their pricing =
I have approximate 20 various 727/904 Aftermarket Converters that have only
a few testing run or very little use for about 1/2 price or sometimes less.
Hay John, Do you know the stall speed of your converters, and if they are loose or tight? And about what price range are we talking about? I need a 727 street strip converter, that’s tight and will flash to 3500-3800, based on what I learned on this thread. Do you have something like that?

Last edited:
You can get all of your cams information in the car with a dial indicator, a pencil, a tdc stop for the sparkplug hole and a stagger tape or 1/4" wide tape measure. It takes some time but if you take careful measurements you can be pretty accurate. You can measure lift, duration @ .006 and.050, lobe separation and intake centerline. You will need to remove the spark plugs, rockers from #1 cylinder and the fan usually gets in the way. Also and understanding of the valve events is important so have someone who knows help you or study up.

Is there a reason why you guys don’t use Dice converters?

We race NHRA Stock and Superstock all over the Western USA.
Sometime there
are as many as a dozen cars in our class all with a tenth or two
of each other.
The Toterhome/Stacker/Cars/Equipment are over $1,000,000.00 and our budget
is he long side of $100,000 a year and so are those we compete against!
We MUST RUN the best of everything = Not something pretty good or we are wasting a LOT of Time!
I won Class in Denver about 10+ year ago by .0001 ( Ten Thousand of a second ) against another 340 Car.=Good enough is NOT good enough
At the MoparSRT Nationals I lost by .003 finish this Weekend.

Sometimes we WILL test a Dozen Different Converters is any give race car.
We find the best one or two and sell the rest of them for !/2 price or whatever
they will bring!

You can get all of your cams information in the car with a dial indicator, a pencil, a tdc stop for the sparkplug hole and a stagger tape or 1/4" wide tape measure. It takes some time but if you take careful measurements you can be pretty accurate. You can measure lift, duration @ .006 and.050, lobe separation and intake centerline. You will need to remove the spark plugs, rockers from #1 cylinder and the fan usually gets in the way. Also and understanding of the valve events is important so have someone who knows help you or study up.
Wow! And thanks.

We race NHRA Stock and Superstock all over the Western USA.
Sometime there
are as many as a dozen cars in our class all with a tenth or two
of each other.
The Toterhome/Stacker/Cars/Equipment are over $1,000,000.00 and our budget
is he long side of $100,000 a year and so are those we compete against!
We MUST RUN the best of everything = Not something pretty good or we are wasting a LOT of Time!
I won Class in Denver about 10+ year ago by .0001 ( Ten Thousand of a second ) against another 340 Car.=Good enough is NOT good enough
At the MoparSRT Nationals I lost by .003 finish this Weekend.

Sometimes we WILL test a Dozen Different Converters is any give race car.
We find the best one or two and sell the rest of them for !/2 price or whatever
they will bring!

GTX John We go back along way and I know you collect a lot of cars and parts( I even bought a Road Runner from you, Are any of those converters suitable for a street/strip car like mine, or are they loose race converters that you have? I’ve been running into expensive and long estimated availability of parts and converters from The manufactures locally and some of the ones listed on this stream because of Covid. My transmission guy have completed building my trans and drive shaft $$$. I now need to look at slightly used converter, My budget is getting low, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I have plenty of both!
I have a 1/2 dozen Street Strip Show

That car held the NHRA National Record in B/S @ 11.12 @ 119
Rules were very strict back then.
It won plenty of money on the street!

I run the Stock Mopar Hydraulic Roller Lifters regularly without issues as
long as lift is not over 550!
If they are used just inspect Roller and Pin Carefully.

Last edited:
-
Back