What shifter to use?!

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
there are so many shifters to decide from. and so many forums about which ones the best, that i'm overwhelmed.

alot of people are saying that the turbo action cheetah shifter. but that would be over 400 bucks including the boot any everything. don't want to spend that much.

what do u guys think about TCI 616443 - TCI StreetFighter Shifter http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-616443/

or the Hurst Shifters 3838520 - Hurst V-Matic 2 Shifter
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3838520/

or can anyone recommend anything else? looking at around 200 bucks or so to spend.

everything that i've read say that B&M shifters are shitty, so i've gotta decide what i should replace it with..

I have a 67 dart with a built 318 and a brand new TCI torqueflight 727 streetfighter tranny. currently i have a B&M shifter, not to sure of the model of it. but the cable comes in from the front side of the tranny. this runs into a ton of problems with melting from heat from the headers. and I want something that comes in from the rear of the tranny. any help in choosing a shifter would be great. thanks. i'm going to be driving it daily, so i believe i want a gate style shift mechanism. i do plan on drag racing sometimes though, so i'm not sure if i want a gate/rachet shifter.

thanks FABO members!

alot of people are saying that the turbo action cheetah shifter. but that would be over 400 bucks including the boot any everything. don't want to spend that much

i know you say its too much money but seriously man save up and get it if you can. i have that shifter in my car and it is honestly the easiest to hook up, smoothest working shifter i have had . plus the way the cable runs around the rear of the trans is great because it keeps the cable away from most of the hot spots and out of your way under there for the most part.

i never liked the b&m stuff. just seems cheap to me. i have used the hurst quarter stick and that was a decent shifter but no where near as nice as the turbo action. and the stinking bracket they use on the trans side just always seems to be in the way of something under there.

The best shifter on the market today is from Precision Performance,

You can get one direct from $189.00 US.

The Cheetah Shifter is OK but $$$$$.

My 2 cents

I agree with sscuda...The PPP shifter is the best on the market today. I had the Cheetah for 15 years and then I switched to the PPP. You can easily miss a gear with the Cheetah, but with the PPP there is no chance of that.

you listed some great shifters... I like the Cheetah... however I run a B&M Mega shifter due to lack of funds, and while I have never had any problems whatsoever with it... I do hate the cable needing to go to the front.

With what you listed... go Cheetah

-RPM

i know you say its too much money but seriously man save up and get it if you can. i have that shifter in my car and it is honestly the easiest to hook up, smoothest working shifter i have had . plus the way the cable runs around the rear of the trans is great because it keeps the cable away from most of the hot spots and out of your way under there for the most part.

i never liked the b&m stuff. just seems cheap to me. i have used the hurst quarter stick and that was a decent shifter but no where near as nice as the turbo action. and the stinking bracket they use on the trans side just always seems to be in the way of something under there.

how does it hook up to the transmission from the rear? does it come with special brackets? i just don't inderstand how it hooks up to the tranny. any chance you could post some pics of how yours looks? like on the transmission side(how the cable mounts onto the tranny), and also from inside of the car how it looks mounted on the floor. thanks alot abodyjoe
The best shifter on the market today is from Precision Performance,

You can get one direct from $189.00 US.

The Cheetah Shifter is OK but $$$$$.

My 2 cents

I agree with sscuda...The PPP shifter is the best on the market today. I had the Cheetah for 15 years and then I switched to the PPP. You can easily miss a gear with the Cheetah, but with the PPP there is no chance of that.
how does this precision performance shifter hook up to the tranny? from the front or rear? thanks badfish and sscuda. also is there any chance you could take a pic of the cable at the tranny.? just so i can see how it looks there?

how does it hook up to the transmission from the rear? does it come with special brackets? i just don't inderstand how it hooks up to the tranny. any chance you could post some pics of how yours looks? like on the transmission side(how the cable mounts onto the tranny), and also from inside of the car how it looks mounted on the floor. thanks alot abodyjoe

real simple hook up on the trans. don't have any pics of it on my car but this should help. tried to get pics under my car in the past and its just too hard to get the damn camera under there and behind the exhaust and then take a clear picture..lol.

as far as to how it mounts to the floor. just 4 bolts. i spaced mine because i wanted it a little higher because i was running a bench seat at the time.

cable leaves the shifter from the front, goes through the floor then loops back and around the rear of the trans. the cable really is away from everything going that way. i was really surprised as to how smooth the shifter worked. had people over the years recommend the shifter to me but never wanted to spend the money. man was i missing out.

shifterinstall166.jpg

shifterinstall165.jpg

real simple hook up on the trans. don't have any pics of it on my car but this should help. tried to get pics under my car in the past and its just too hard to get the damn camera under there and behind the exhaust and then take a clear picture..lol.

as far as to how it mounts to the floor. just 4 bolts. i spaced mine because i wanted it a little higher because i was running a bench seat at the time.

cable leaves the shifter from the front, goes through the floor then loops back and around the rear of the trans. the cable really is away from everything going that way. i was really surprised as to how smooth the shifter worked. had people over the years recommend the shifter to me but never wanted to spend the money. man was i missing out.

shifterinstall166.jpg

shifterinstall165.jpg
thanks. helps alot. so you didn't need any heat shield or anything for the cable?
and also, did your shifter come with all necessary harware to get it working with a 727?

and another question that you might know. i bought a brand new TCI streetfighter tranny from summit, it doesn't have any brackets or anything on it for the linkage or cable. will this shifter include everything i need?

thanks

shifter should have everything you need to make it work on a 904 or 727. except the bolts to hold it to the floor. it will have the shift leaver that will bolt on. but will not have a kick down leaver. that you will have to get for what ever kick down set up you decide to ues.

nope no heat shield needed. it never gets that close to anything really hot like the headers.

as long as your trans has the hole that i have a yellow arrow pointing to then it will bolt on with no problem. i don't remember ever seeing a 904 or 727 that didn't have that hole.

727_rp_reman_drside.JPG

shifter should have everything you need to make it work on a 904 or 727. except the bolts to hold it to the floor. it will have the shift leaver that will bolt on. but will not have a kick down leaver. that you will have to get for what ever kick down set up you decide to ues.

nope no heat shield needed. it never gets that close to anything really hot like the headers.

as long as your trans has the hole that i have a yellow arrow pointing to then it will bolt on with no problem. i don't remember ever seeing a 904 or 727 that didn't have that hole.

thanks. i do have that hole. so sounds good. i'll probably end up getting the cheetah shifter and selling off my old B&M for 100 bucks or so.

how does this precision performance shifter hook up to the tranny? from the front or rear? thanks badfish and sscuda. also is there any chance you could take a pic of the cable at the tranny.? just so i can see how it looks there?
On the PPP the cable enters from the rear. Also with the PPP shifter, you can have a front or rear cable exit (from the shifter). We typically like the rear cable exit so the cable comes out of the shifter through floor, and then goes forward to the transmission lever. On the front cable exit shifters (Cheetah, etc), the cable goes forward, back, and then forward again.

We are a dealer for PPP, btw. Just installed one in the duster we built, and it works flawless (reverse manual valve body equipped 904).

Hope this helps, good luck, Freds! 8)

I have a Hurst V-Matic II shifter in my Duster. It was easy to install and works great. The ratchet mode works great when you want to shift the gears yourself. You just push the stick forward and it upshifts one gear at a time.

80605007.jpg

the cable comes in from the front side of the tranny though right? this is what i'm trying to avoid. because i have a B&M that comes from the front and i dont want to deal with heat issues from the headers..
I have a Hurst V-Matic II shifter in my Duster. It was easy to install and works great. The ratchet mode works great when you want to shift the gears yourself. You just push the stick forward and it upshifts one gear at a time.

80605007.jpg

i also love my hurst slap stick either put it in drive or shift yourself or ratchet over to slap stick and just slam in forward and it shifts up one gear and comes back so you can shift up again or down same way its makes driving fun

i also love my hurst slap stick either put it in drive or shift yourself or ratchet over to slap stick and just slam in forward and it shifts up one gear and comes back so you can shift up again or down same way its makes driving fun

do u have a part number on the hurst slap stick that u use? thanks

I use a B&M Star shifter which looks the same as the TCI streetfighter,it has a little T handle to get in reverse and can also be shifted manually by slapping it into each gear.It comes in at the front,but installed correctly I,ve had no burning from my headers issues.Price I think was $250 with cable and hardware.It works great for racing too or can just be left in drive.

had the turbo action shifter in my old off road truck, if my dart ends up with an automatic in it that is what it will have in it....

-
Back