WHAT SHOCKS TO BUY: KYB VS Monroe VS Bilstein's

-
I don't have a sway bar yet. I am still working on the rear leaf springs. Been a bear to replace the bushings.

Also I have a baby on the way and am trying not to waste money because the wife did not save for her six weeks out but I did in secret. :)

So I went digging to see if I could find some for my 65 Barracuda. Did not find them at Rock Auto or Summit. Do the early A bodies have a Bilstein number or are we left with the monroe/kyb?

I currently have the monroe and straight line driving is good but turning is like a bus ride to hell. I literally have to lean into the door. I can see my sunglasses (hanging from the mirror) tilt a solid 45 degrees from straight.
If you call Bilsein in Poway California they will give you the number you need and ship it to whoever you want.

I checked on the Bilstein US website and they do not list a part number for a 74 Duster. Anyone have the numbers for front and rear?

Thanks Gary

Firm feel has them. Do you have a sway bar?

Had both front and rear but took the rear one off for a better ride. Now I REALLY feel the Bilsteins working. My suggestion to anyone working on a budget to save up and ride out your old shocks. Save up the extra 200 bucks and you'll never regret it.

If you call Bilsein in Poway California they will give you the number you need and ship it to whoever you want.

I just called them and they weren't very helpful. They have no listing for mopar applications. You basically have to give them your extended and compressed measurements and eyelet size and see if they can match one up. They did say they build custom shocks for mopar shops that have rights to them. and to give them a call. How hard can it be to get a pair of bilsteins???

I grabbed 4 near new KYB gas-a-justs off a wrecked 64 Dart at pick-a-part, $20 total. Had to be better than the rusted no names I had before. $200 for all four? Not bad for a top tier shock...

I just called them and they weren't very helpful. They have no listing for mopar applications. You basically have to give them your extended and compressed measurements and eyelet size and see if they can match one up. They did say they build custom shocks for mopar shops that have rights to them. and to give them a call. How hard can it be to get a pair of bilsteins???

I believe summit carries them. www.firmfeel.com carries them. I believe pst carries them. There are mulitiple vendors that supply bilstein shocks for mopars.

So if i do order them, will I get a generic set or a set designed for a 74 Duster. Will not spend $400.00 for shocks unless they are designed for my car!! Still need part numbers. I will check PST and see if they can supply.

Thanks Gary

For anyone wondering what shock rides best on the older cars:
I bought my 74 Dart and it rode like crap. Had stock shocks on the back and KYB's on the front. It was driving me crazy with the lousy ride. I forgot how bad older heavier cars rode. Well, I spent the nearly $400.00 for new Bilstein's hoping it would help.
I was absolutely amazed at the complete difference a set of Bilstein's makes on this car. It was like driving a completely different car. Even cornering was good. DO NOT waste your money on KYB shocks. Bilstein's will cost you about $200.00 more and they are worth every single penny and then some.

Couldn't agree more

I am a fan of Monroe Shocks.
The Monroe Sensatrac is an awesome shock. I never see any issues with those shocks at our shop. Also the plus side to them is that they are life-time warranty.
I will say to stay away from the Monroe Gas-matic. I have had bad experiences with them leaking shortly after having them installed. I dunno if it was just a bad pair but like a month after installing them they started to leak.
I am sure KYB's and Bilsteins are good but I like Monroe's because they can be bought at my local Advance Auto Parts and if you buy the parts from their site you can get them tax free and you can use a coupon code like "retmenot124".
Well hope this helps.

I upgraded from KYB to Firm Feel's Bilsteins. They work great on the street, road course and even let me hook on the drag strip with a 1.73 60 foot time. Definitely worth the $400.

I'm sure Bilstiens are a premium shock, but they
were not in my budjet and KYB's were, so I opted for them.
$34.00 a piece + tax at Advance Auto.
Just bought them 2 months ago.

Apperently they are 2nd choice after Bilstiens,
but I've been sucking hind tit so long 2nd best seems like first
and I want to be on the road again.

I'm sure Bilstiens are a premium shock, but they
were not in my budjet and KYB's were, so I opted for them.
$34.00 a piece + tax at Advance Auto.
Just bought them 2 months ago.

Apperently they are 2nd choice after Bilstiens,
but I've been sucking hind tit so long 2nd best seems like first
and I want to be on the road again.

Get them on the car and let us know how you like them!!!

Anybody running Monroe?

I used them back in the late '70s on b-bodies but I imagine they have improved since then.

I have been using Monroe shocks since the early 80's. Ran them on Camaro's, Dusters, Malibu, etc.

I just replaced a 24yr old pair of Monro-Matics on the front of my 73 Duster. Amazingly one of the shocks still had a slight charge of nitrogen left in it. I installed a brand new pair of monro matic plus (standard gas charged replacements like I had) and the car drives fantastic.

If you are running stock spring rates and want a smooth/controlled ride on a budget these are durable enough. Not saying they will last 25 yrs but mine were still dampening ok, they passed the bounce test which ain't saying much. $30.00/PR you get what you pay for and they work great.

For anyone wondering what shock rides best on the older cars:
I bought my 74 Dart and it rode like crap. Had stock shocks on the back and KYB's on the front. It was driving me crazy with the lousy ride. I forgot how bad older heavier cars rode. Well, I spent the nearly $400.00 for new Bilstein's hoping it would help.
I was absolutely amazed at the complete difference a set of Bilstein's makes on this car. It was like driving a completely different car. Even cornering was good. DO NOT waste your money on KYB shocks. Bilstein's will cost you about $200.00 more and they are worth every single penny and then some.

So you have a 74 Dart,with KYB's on the front,and "stock shocks" on the back,
and your car rode like crap because of the KYB's ?
Doesn't seem like your comparing apples to apples. Put on a set of new KYB'S,all around,and report back. I run KYB's on my 65,70,74 Darts, and consider them the best,all around, bang for the buck shock available,followed by Monroe's.

Unless you have a track car DO NOT waste your money on Bilsteins.

shocks mainly just dampen the bumps in the road. the up and down bouncing.

i've always had the biggest improvements putting a good set of tires on...

unless your previous shocks were damaged, upgrading shocks is generally just a slight improvement. in cornering performance, it has a lot more to do with spring rate and sway bars and type of steering than brand of shock.

just my opinion

Off the shelf shocks for these cars ARE NOT valved correctly for heavy duty suspension. Once you even get close to 1" torsion bars your spring rate far exceeds the shocks ability to dampen the springs.

Ideally, the spring and shock need to be matched so that the suspension is close to "critically damped". This means that after an impulse (say a pothole) the suspension travels its full distance (given the size of the impulse) and then returns to its normal ride height without traveling in the opposite direction and without multiple oscillations.

Typically on cars you want the shock set up so that its a little bit shy of critically damped, as most folks will find that a little on the harsh side. Overdamped means that the shocks will control the travel of the suspension and not let it travel its complete range (think air shocks), which gives you a harsher ride and is bad for the suspension. Underdamped is what most suspensions end up being, with the extreme example that everyone is familiar with of driving a car with wiped out shocks, you hit a bump and the suspension just keeps bouncing as you go down the road.

The Bilsteins are a BIG improvement for car with larger torsion bars. I haven't tried them yet, but Hotchkis also worked with Fox and now has a set of shocks out that are custom valved for the Hotchkis cars (ie, big torsion bars). They're supposedly much better matched to the larger bars than even the Bilsteins, so they should be very advantageous to those of us running much larger torsion bars, 1.04, 1.06, 1.12 etc. They're like $550 for the set from Summit though, so even the Bilsteins are quite a bit cheaper at ~$400 for a set. But if you've spent the money to put big torsion bars, sway bars, frame connectors and everything else on your car to make it handle, you should finish the job with a set of shocks that's matched to everything else you've already done.

So I went digging to see if I could find some for my 65 Barracuda. Did not find them at Rock Auto or Summit. Do the early A bodies have a Bilstein number or are we left with the monroe/kyb?

I currently have the monroe and straight line driving is good but turning is like a bus ride to hell. I literally have to lean into the door. I can see my sunglasses (hanging from the mirror) tilt a solid 45 degrees from straight.

call Bilstein directly. They have them at their Poway location and send them to your nearest dealer.

-
Back