WHAT SHOCKS TO BUY: KYB VS Monroe VS Bilstein's

-
Here are mine that just came off my Dart tonight, 55-r081 fronts and 55-r092 rears are the part #s you guys can google.

Attachments

• 407137_4706135771828_1316235670_n.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 891
Bilstein support has no record of either part number. They said their part numbers changed several times,and he had no cross rreference, nor did he list any shocks for a 71 Dart, Duster, or Demon. The rep did say they could build a shock for me, but I said no thanks. Looks like KYB is the best choice right now.

Tom

hello
I am looking for new rear shocks, I checked out the Bilstein site and they don't cover
the 74. What model number are you using?

Go to PST or FirmFeel's website. They're the only people I know of that may still sell them.

I'm running my old air shock's yet from high school in the 80's they ride great LOL! Just kidding, I am running KYB gas adjust up front, and Lakewood drag shock's out back rides like ****, but handles awesome! I only drive mine maybe 500 miles a year so performace and handling is way more inportant to me!

hello
I am looking for new rear shocks, I checked out the Bilstein site and they don't cover
the 74. What model number are you using?

55R082 for the front, 55R092 for the rear, or 7056053 for a set of 4.

PST

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6374/.f?sc=12

FirmFeel

http://www.firmfeel.com/a_body_mopar_shocks.html

I'm running my old air shock's yet from high school in the 80's they ride great LOL! Just kidding, I am running KYB gas adjust up front, and Lakewood drag shock's out back rides like ****, but handles awesome! I only drive mine maybe 500 miles a year so performace and handling is way more inportant to me!

If it rides like sh*t, it doesn't handle awesome. Physics. #-o An improperly dampened suspension is not handling as well as it could be.

KYB's suck. When I finally replaced the KYB's on my Challenger with Bilstein's it practically became a whole new car. One of those upgrades where you go "why didn't I do that sooner!?" afterward. Shocks matter.

And not that the Bilstein's aren't great, but when I switched my Duster over to Hotchkis Fox shocks from Bilsteins it was a noticeable improvement. I think the Bilsteins work a little better with torsion bars in the 1" to 1.06" range, the 1.12" bars on my Duster are definitely better controlled with the Hotchkis Fox shocks. And I just have the non-adjustble Hotchkis shocks.

Shocks have to be matched to the wheel rate and suspension travel. If you've upgraded your torsion bars, you need to upgrade your shocks.

I grabbed 4 near new KYB gas-a-justs off a wrecked 64 Dart at pick-a-part, $20 total. Had to be better than the rusted no names I had before. $200 for all four? Not bad for a top tier shock...

i believe its $400 for the set. $200 more then say a kyb.

Bilstein support has no record of either part number. They said their part numbers changed several times,and he had no cross rreference, nor did he list any shocks for a 71 Dart, Duster, or Demon. The rep did say they could build a shock for me, but I said no thanks. Looks like KYB is the best choice right now.

Tom

http://www.firmfeel.com/a_body_mopar_shocks.html

as stated numerous times in this thread...

CALL FIRMFEEL !!!!!!!!!!

Orders 1-800-FIRM-426 ( 347-6426 ) | Technical Help 1-360-546-3633 | Fax 1-360-574-6426

What gets me is the secrecy of the part numbers on the A body Bilsteins.
None of the listed part numbers from the members seem to jive.
Sure would be nice to take the middle man ( pst, firm feel) out of the equation, and
get them at a fair price.

I just went to the Bilstein website. They do not make shocks for 69 A Bodies. I was going to buy KYBs, but I have heard some bad press in this thread. I do need shocks (69 360 Barracuda), but now I wonder what to get.

If it rides like sh*t, it doesn't handle awesome. Physics. #-o An improperly dampened suspension is not handling as well as it could be.

True, I should clarify, what I meant was it is stiff, and I prefer that for cornering and taking off, if I want it to ride like a caddy, I'll get in my Durango.

I just went to the Bilstein website. They do not make shocks for 69 A Bodies. I was going to buy KYBs, but I have heard some bad press in this thread. I do need shocks (69 360 Barracuda), but now I wonder what to get.

KYBs on all 3 of my Darts. For the price, they are a great shock.

What gets me is the secrecy of the part numbers on the A body Bilsteins.
None of the listed part numbers from the members seem to jive.
Sure would be nice to take the middle man ( pst, firm feel) out of the equation, and
get them at a fair price.

not always true. i know a if you call lokar they will tell you can get it cheaper from somewhere else then getting the stuff directly from them..

Shocks are a big deal when it come to drivability taking of an old worn out shock and replacing it with almost anything will be a big improvement. I found years ago that when Monrow started to market that shocks in every store that had a automotive dept. that the quality went straight down hill, almost as bad as getting shocks from Sears. The KYBs are good, but for many people are just too stiff. (for some of us that is not an issue) I have never tried Bilsteins, but after this thread they sound like it might be worth the plunge My A body has QA1 double adjust coil/overs

The KYB's have a higher initial movement treshold, which makes them feel hard.
But once the shock is moving, it's internal friction is actually fairly soft and therefore it can't handle the suspension movements as well as a better brand shock.

The KYB's have a higher initial movement treshold, which makes them feel hard.
But once the shock is moving, it's internal friction is actually fairly soft and therefore it can't handle the suspension movements as well as a better brand shock.

Exactly. Worst of both worlds. Harsh ride and poor spring control.

KYB's work fine for me. I run SS springs on the rear with 28" nitto DR's so not sure how any shock will be engineered for that combo short of a adjustable. Front is stock with sway bar and some poly ride is firm but pretty good to me.

KYB's seemed OK for me too for a while, but I found that if you've never experienced anything better, you'll won't know the difference.
Bilstein, Hotchkis, QA1 and such are simply in different leagues compared to the cheaper shocks.
They provide a smoother and way better control of the suspension movements.

I've rallied on KYB's and on Bilsteins; the Bilsteins are much better, and also on the street. The OP will not regret buying Bilsteins.

KYB's seemed OK for me too for a while, but I found that if you've never experienced anything better, you'll won't know the difference.
Bilstein, Hotchkis, QA1 and such are simply in different leagues compared to the cheaper shocks.
They provide a smoother and way better control of the suspension movements.

I've rallied on KYB's and on Bilsteins; the Bilsteins are much better, and also on the street. The OP will not regret buying Bilsteins.

Exactly. The KYB's were fine as a upgraded shock vs. a stock one.
If your looking to do real niceand have the coin.... skip the KYB's.

I just switched from KYB's up front, and crappy one's in back, to the Hotchkiss Fox shocks all around. Waaaay better ride.

I just went with the KYB gas adjust shocks. Made a big, big difference in the ride and the
ride height of the car. You know I just got to the point of taking the car for granted.
I did a full ball joint replacement a few years ago, along with rotors and pads, of course
I have always maintained the brakes on the car. I've replaced the power steering unit more
then once as they leaked, replaced the brake booster a few times, bad units.
Just did a complete bushing replacement.. except for the front struts which need to be done
and new rear bushing.
If I could only figure out the damn electrical gremlin effecting the interior lights...

PST, a member vendor here, gives 10% off(40.90)... and Free Shipping......(set of 4$409.00- 10%)

I have kyb's on my car. They are leaps and bounds better than the Monroe gas and Gabriel air shocks that were on it before

Did Bilstien ever make a shock to fit the A-body line?
If they did, anybody know the old stock part #s.

I saw a members car on here that was in one of the
rod magazines, it was about handling and had Bils shocks
on it.
The article was from the early 2000's era.

-
Back