WHAT SHOCKS TO BUY: KYB VS Monroe VS Bilstein's

-
I have kyb's on my car. They are leaps and bounds better than the Monroe gas and Gabriel air shocks that were on it before

And light years behind the Bilstein's. Saying that KYB's are better than worn out Monroe's and Gabriel's isn't setting the bar very high.

Did Bilstien ever make a shock to fit the A-body line?
If they did, anybody know the old stock part #s.

I saw a members car on here that was in one of the
rod magazines, it was about handling and had Bils shocks
on it.
The article was from the early 2000's era.

I think everything for the A-body's is through RCD. The RCD Bilstein part #'s are 55R082 for the front, 55R092 for the rear, or 7056053 for a set of 4.

What gets me is the secrecy of the part numbers on the A body Bilsteins.
None of the listed part numbers from the members seem to jive.
Sure would be nice to take the middle man ( pst, firm feel) out of the equation, and
get them at a fair price.

The company that we use for our Bilsteins is authorized by Bilstein to apply the proper ends to fit these shocks to classic muscle cars. This line is known as their classic line as there are painted black. There is no secrecy here. The company's logo is on the shocks. They do not offer retail but sell through authorized dealers as we are one. If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them. All you have to do is ask. We price them fairly and include free shipping and on top of that we offer 10% off to the members of this forum. They are a quality shock at a good price and should be the last set of shocks you should have to buy for your muscle car.

Thanks
James

Did Bilstien ever make a shock to fit the A-body line?
If they did, anybody know the old stock part #s.

I saw a members car on here that was in one of the
rod magazines, it was about handling and had Bils shocks
on it.
The article was from the early 2000's era.

Here is the link to what we off:

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6374/.f?sc=12

Thanks
James

And light years behind the Bilstein's. Saying that KYB's are better than worn out Monroe's and Gabriel's isn't setting the bar very high.

I think everything for the A-body's is through RCD. The RCD Bilstein part #'s are 55R082 for the front, 55R092 for the rear, or 7056053 for a set of 4.

The Monroes and Gabriel's were a few months old... And the Bilsteins should be better. They are more expensive after all lol

The company that we use for our Bilsteins is authorized by Bilstein to apply the proper ends to fit these shocks to classic muscle cars. This line is known as their classic line as there are painted black. There is no secrecy here. The company's logo is on the shocks. They do not offer retail but sell through authorized dealers as we are one. If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them. All you have to do is ask. We price them fairly and include free shipping and on top of that we offer 10% off to the members of this forum. They are a quality shock at a good price and should be the last set of shocks you should have to buy for your muscle car.

Thanks
James

Interesting. So what you are saying is these shocks cant be bought off the shelf somewhere else ?

Interesting. So what you are saying is these shocks cant be bought off the shelf somewhere else ?

They can be if they're an authorized dealer.

Other than PST, FirmFeel also sells the RCD Bilsteins. Hotchkis used to sell them, but they seem to have dropped them and moved over to their own tune on Fox shocks.

So what was the hot ticket to use before the RCD Bilsteins
arrived on the scene?
KYB?

There was an Edelbrock shock around for awhile that everyone seemed to like. I had KYB's on my Challenger for awhile before I went to bilsteins on my Duster and realized how crappy the KYB's ride when paired with a large torsion bar. The hot ticket would have been something adjustable.

Keep in mind too that even just a few years ago there weren't nearly as many folks running 1"+ torsion bars. Upping the wheel rate with larger torsion bars significantly changes what you need from your shocks as far as performance goes. Even the bilsteins aren't as good as the Hotchkis Fox shocks for the really big torsion bars, the improvement was noticeable on my Duster with its 1.12" bars. On the flip side, if you're going to run /6 bars you might as well run Monroe's, cause it really doesn't matter much at that point. Shocks need to be matched to the spring rate of the suspension. You wouldn't throw a dual quad tunnel ram on a 7.5:1 318 with a stock cam, same goes for using KYB's with 1.12" torsion bars, just not a good match.

"That's what I'm trying to get at, one size fits all for the
RCD shocks regardless of vehicle model, weight, torsion bars or
handling improvements."

That's what I'm trying to get at, one size fits all for the
RCD shocks regardless of vehicle model, weight, torsion bars or
handling improvements.

No, they don't. RCD Bilsteins have different part numbers for cars at standard ride height vs lowered. The part #'s are different for the rear shocks on A bodies vs E bodies. It's not a single set of shocks across all models. Not only that, but I've already mentioned several times that the Hotchkis Fox shocks work better for the 1.12" bars I have on my Duster. I think the Bilsteins are better suited for bars that are 1" up to about 1.06" than they are for bars larger than that. Not that they don't work well for 1.12" bars, but the Hotchkis fox's work better.

And, the argument doesn't hold up anyway. The reason they're more expensive is because of improved valving in the shocks compared to cheaper units. Better valving means the shock can produce the correct dampening over a larger range of inputs. Now, that doesn't mean they're the best for every situation, but I would take a set of Bilsteins over a set of KYB's on any of my mopars regardless of model, weight, torsion bars or other improvements. And I have A, B, and E body's, with small blocks and big blocks. And I've run Bilsteins on my Duster and my Challenger, they work great in both applications even though the weight and wheel rates are different.

I mean, you can run Bilsteins with /6 bars if you want. I bet they'd be better than a set of KYBs even then. But if you're going to run /6 bars a set of Bilsteins is overkill and a waste of money, 'cause the handling is going to suck regardless of how good the shocks are.

Thanks
James

Yes, there is secrecy. The shock should have a part number ( not just yours) so we as consumers could do some price comparisons. Thats what im saying.
$100 a shock seems kind of steep, when you can get a full size pickup bilstein for $75.

On that note, I do believe bilstein is a great shock. Ive had them on other vehicles, and they work well.
Something that hasnt been mentioned is what these shocks are designed for.
I imagine they are designed for the twistys. Setting up a car for the street/strip would be a totally different animal, where a loose front end, and longer shocks out back are the norm. A strip car setup would yank the front sway bar, slant 6 torsion bars, clapped out monroes up front, super stocks springs, and a set of C body shocks out back, with a pinion snubber. For anybody to say this is the best shock you can put on your A body would be a very general, uninformed statement.

Yes, there is secrecy. The shock should have a part number ( not just yours) so we as consumers could do some price comparisons. Thats what im saying.
$100 a shock seems kind of steep, when you can get a full size pickup bilstein for $75.

On that note, I do believe bilstein is a great shock. Ive had them on other vehicles, and they work well.
I imagine they are designed for the twistys. Setting up a car for the street/strip would be a totally different animal, where a loose front end, and longer shocks out back are the norm. A strip car setup would yank the front sway bar, slant 6 torsion bars, clapped out monroes up front, super stocks springs, and a set of C body shocks out back, with a pinion snubber. For anybody to say this is the best shock you can put on your A body would be a very general, uninformed statement.

Again where is the secrecy? The part # and the manufacturers logo is on the shock and their logo is displayed on our website just like the other shock brands we carry Viking and KYB. There is no conspiracy here. All you have to do is ask me and I will answer your questions. I am very confused on the animosity here towards us and the other vendor that carries them. Let stop theorizing. We try to offer quality parts and services. Just ask.

Using the members discount your cost on a set of shocks ( Front and Rear) are $368 and include free shipping within the US 48

Thanks
James

Again where is the secrecy? The part # and the manufacturers logo is on the shock and their logo is displayed on our website just like the other shock brands we carry Viking and KYB. There is no conspiracy here. All you have to do is ask me and I will answer your questions. I am very confused on the animosity here towards us and the other vendor that carries them. Let stop theorizing. We try to offer quality parts and services. Just ask.

Using the members discount your cost on a set of shocks ( Front and Rear) are $368 and include free shipping within the US 48

Thanks
James

Animosity ? No animosity here, just discussion. Are you really that sensitive ? Come on dude.
And I did ask you an ealier question, and you didn't want to answer it, sooo. I googled your part number, and came up with nothing. Is this a PST part # or a Bilstein part # ?
Who knows,when I'm done researching, maybe PST does has the best deal on these. Can't fault a guy for fiinding the best deal,can you ?

I am all for a good deal, but your previous posts insinuate the we are being secretive as if we are holding out, but we are not. I am car guy too and spend my weekends wrenching and save every last penny for my project while try to spend it as wisely as possible. So I do understand your position, but its all good no hard feelings.

Thanks
James

Animosity ? No animosity here, just discussion. Are you really that sensitive ? Come on dude.
And I did ask you an ealier question, and you didn't want to answer it, sooo. I googled your part number, and came up with nothing. Is this a PST part # or a Bilstein part # ?
Who knows,when I'm done researching, maybe PST does has the best deal on these. Can't fault a guy for fiinding the best deal,can you ?

I didn't care for that bullshit either and ended up buying an alternative product. If I can't just google a part # and compare pricing from different vendors, I move on to another product.

Guys, I've posted the part #'s for the bilsteins 3x in this thread alone. There's nothing secret.

The shocks are only sold by authorized retailers, of which I know of 2, PST and FirmFeel. It's not PST's or FFI's fault the shocks aren't sold other places. And PST actually lists the part #'s, FFI doesn't as you have to call them to order anyway. And if you think the bilsteins are expensive, try looking up the Hotchkis Fox shocks.

And yes, they're for street cars that are meant to handle well. If you run worn out /6 bars and clapped out Gabriel's with the *** end of your car 3ft in the air they're not for you. Neither are public roads. Of course, the original post in this thread was by someone that actually wants a good handling street car, hence the discussion on the RCD Bilsteins. Drag racing is a whole different story, and you'll notice this thread isn't in the racers section.

Guys, I've posted the part #'s for the bilsteins 3x in this thread alone. There's nothing secret.

I've seen the part #'s plenty of times. I don't think there are any secrets. I just think the fact that there are only a couple "authorized vendors" for that particular part is hurting their business. Do me a favor, google those part #'s and see what pops up. Not much... Plenty of vendors sell Bilstien shocks. For some reason they are unable to get those particular part numbers. Don't you think that's a bit strange? I sure do. If I can't at least check with a few vendors to compare part prices, on to the next manufacturer for me...

holy **** dude. if you want to buy the stupid shocks you've been told numerous times where to get the damn things. if thats not enough for you then don't buy the damn things.. can not believe how stupid this t head has gotten..

I've seen the part #'s plenty of times. I don't think there are any secrets. I just think the fact that there are only a couple "authorized vendors" for that particular part is hurting their business. Do me a favor, google those part #'s and see what pops up. Not much... Plenty of vendors sell Bilstien shocks. For some reason they are unable to get those particular part numbers. Don't you think that's a bit strange? I sure do. If I can't at least check with a few vendors to compare part prices, on to the next manufacturer for me...

I don't need to google anything. I know exactly where to get them, and they have always cost just under $100 per shock. Summit Racing used to carry them when Hotchkis was selling them. PST's price for members is better then Summit's used to be. It's what they cost, it's what they have always cost, and they're worth it. Move on if you want, it's your loss.

holy **** dude. if you want to buy the stupid shocks you've been told numerous times where to get the damn things. if thats not enough for you then don't buy the damn things.. can not believe how stupid this t head has gotten..

Exactly.

I don't need to google anything. I know exactly where to get them, and they have always cost just under $100 per shock. Summit Racing used to carry them when Hotchkis was selling them. PST's price for members is better then Summit's used to be. It's what they cost, it's what they have always cost, and they're worth it. Move on if you want, it's your loss.

Exactly.

I didn't lose anything. I ended up buying better shocks anyway in my opinion for not much more $.

Quick question- Why aren't those part #'s carried by vendors that sell other Bilstien products? That's the part that I don't get.

Quick question- Why aren't those part #'s carried by vendors that sell other Bilstien products? That's the part that I don't get.

#-o

This has also been posted before. They are RCD Bilsteins. Meaning, they are bilstein shocks that are tuned by RCD. So they aren't distributed by Bilstein, they are distributed by RCD.

Holy **** dude, just having a discussion related to the shocks. If you cant handle that, you should move on.

?

#-o

This has also been posted before. They are RCD Bilsteins. Meaning, they are bilstein shocks that are tuned by RCD. So they aren't distributed by Bilstein, they are distributed by RCD.

That's the first time I'd read that. I figured they were just distributing the product directly from Bilstein. Thanks for the info.

Holy **** dude, just having a discussion related to the shocks. If you cant handle that, you should move on.

It's far from a discussion. More like you crying because you can't go to the local store and buy these shocks for a $1.99 each.
Either buy them from an authorized dealer or don't. I don't really care. But please stop tge crying already.

-
Back