WHAT SIZE DRAG RADIAL SS SPRING '65 DART

-
Eric there are a lot of variables in tire and wheel fitment. On my Dart all of my measurements were taken after I made sure the stock A body 8 3/4 with stock 10" drum brakes was centered side to side then I took all my measurements to center the wheel and tire combo between the leaf spring and fender well ( my car has a dana 60 in it now that was narrowed to the exact width of the 8 3/4). If you add B body drum brakes or disc brakes your going to need more backspacing. When measuring the wheel to center the tire, 1 inch has to be added to the width of the wheel to get the correct backspacing for centering( backspacing is measured off the back rolled edge of the wheel a 7 inch wheel is 8 inches wide from outside rolled edge to outside rolled edge). Eric on your wheel picks, if I put them on my Dart the 7 inch with 4.5 backspacing and 255/60 are centered. If I went to an 8 inch wheel on my Dart I would need 5 inches of backspacing to recenter the 255/60 tires and I have yet to find that backspacing in an 8 inch wheel other than custom made. A 275/60 will fit if you move the springs against the frame rails and pick up that 1/2 to 3/4 inch of space and then remeasure for backspacing to center the tire in the new space.

Thank you for the information and insight.

I think another thing that will help us is the fact that our 8.8 is slightly narrower than a comparable 8.75 a body axle with drum brakes.

Our rear axle is about a 1/2" narrower overall than an a body 8.75.

And we rolled our wheel lips in preparation for this when we were doing body work.

After the engine and trans are installed we are turning our attention to the rear brakes and suspension. Then we will center the axle in the car and set pinion angle.

I think a 15 x 8 with 4.5 back space will get us where we want to be. But we will be sure to post our findings when we get to that point.

Thank you again everybody for the help. Eric.

If you did a proper mini tub job , you are wasting 3 " of room by not moving the springs inboard.
If you do move the springs , a 295-55 X 15 ET Street fits with room to spare.
6 1/2 " back space with a 1/4 " spacer because I couldn't find a 6 " back space rim.
A 5 1/2 " backspace wheel might be about perfect because there is more room from tire to lip than tire to leaf.
But there is a good amount of room regardless.
IMG_3039.JPG

If you did a proper mini tub job , you are wasting 3 " of room by not moving the springs inboard.
6 1/2 " back space with a 1/4 " spacer because I couldn't find a 6 " back space rim.
A 5 1/2 " backspace wheel might be about perfect because there is more room from tire to lip than tire to leaf.
But there is a good amount of room regardless.View attachment 1715274001

This is on a 10" rim?

Keep me in the loop with your results.

Update.

We moved the rear spring mounts up against the frame (5/8” extra room per side). And rolled the fender lips. We also spaced the front spring hangers reward 3/4” to center the tire in the wheel well. It’s tight but all right. Lol.

DD6F7FC9-FEF4-4825-90AF-8F799621EC05.jpeg
F20AAA96-18AF-4295-94D4-6D44568CC68E.jpeg
9B2E9CC2-0BEC-456C-BCE2-CD41ABEE4418.jpeg
9D5DC6BE-7665-4DCF-88E4-D58E53113617.png

prorac1 , that is a great looking car.
What size hides are those ?
Oooops , I see the size up there. lol
I am looking at trying to fit 315's in mine and if I have to , I think rolling the lip will give me plenty of room.
But hopefully with less back space I will be good.

But there is a good amount of room regardless.View attachment 1715274001
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Car is kick a$$ !!

prorac1 , that is a great looking car.
What size hides are those ?
Oooops , I see the size up there. lol
I am looking at trying to fit 315's in mine and if I have to , I think rolling the lip will give me plenty of room.
But hopefully with less back space I will be good.

Not without moving the springs in even further.

We have 3/8” to the spring, and 3/8 to the rolled lip.

It’s very tight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Car is kick a$$ !!
Thanks.
I am going through the rear suspension now.......Cal Tracs and some other stuff.
It got involved , because I had to relocate the upper shock mounts.
The shocks wouldn't clear the brace on the rear end , so in my usual style , I got carried away.
As long as I was in the trunk , I went for a fuel cell too.
20181230_235835_resized(2).jpg

-
Back