What size engine for the online/Youtube EC?

What size engine should the Online/Youtube Engine Challenge be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
I just consider myself a back yard idiot that has the minor benefit of at least having screwed together more than just a couple of engines and being blessed having been schooled by some smart people, a few racers and a couple of engineers in the field.

Truly my favorite thing is to just have fun and screw around seeing how stuff works. Swap cams just to see how it reacts, then swap intakes to see how they react, then swap carbs and so on.

It was the times before the internet that made it always fun experimenting since there were on 10,000 ways to make 400hp and everyone had a different way. Now you can science out with the calculators. Boring! But if you could only do it once…..

It would be cool to have a prize for the winner even if only a small one. How bout a small ($50 maybe) entry fee and winner take all?
I've been contemplating this actually. Maybe the fee could cover an OEBC logo'd T-shirt & hat and the winner gets an engine themed trophy or something. J.Rob

Just a few small things that may need to be clarified.

Cylinder head porting.
It may be worth while to clarify whether material can be added to the ports/combustion chambers.

If I understand correctly the spirit of this competition would likely prohibit welding/tubing/putty etc to raise the port floor or minimize the pinch. (However if people are willing to do that I personally would be very interested)

Intake manifold.
A single carb flange of 4150 is specified, but It isn't specified whether the intake manifold needs to be based on a mass produced item.
(Once again, It is unlikely that anyone would enter with a fabricated intake manifold, but if someone is willing to do that I am personally interested to see the results)

Oil control
If I'm understanding this correctly, something needs to specify that dry sump systems are prohibited as this is cost prohibitive to the average person and not on the spirit of a budget build.
I don't care about ANY cylinder head mods one might employ. You are right about the dry sump idea but then again--WHAT are the chances of somebody using a dry sump system in this ZERO $$$$ purse challenge? Even if someone does do it-We might see what kind of HP they are worth which I doubt is very much in this RPM range. J.Rob

I just consider myself a back yard idiot that has the minor benefit of at least having screwed together more than just a couple of engines and being blessed having been schooled by some smart people, a few racers and a couple of engineers in the field.

Truly my favorite thing is to just have fun and screw around seeing how stuff works. Swap cams just to see how it reacts, then swap intakes to see how they react, then swap carbs and so on.

It was the times before the internet that made it always fun experimenting since there were on 10,000 ways to make 400hp and everyone had a different way. Now you can science out with the calculators. Boring! But if you could only do it once…..
I am the same way keep an extra carb or three, intakes dual and single plane play around see where the best performance gain is a mix of street strip etc. I want to send a vintage Crane SSH 320 I have laying around out for a regrind, I recall it had a pretty aggressive idle and lift etc. I cant see trashing a vintage cam if it can be saved. If I take someone for a ride and they are grabbing on to the dash pad its an indicator LOL! I had a 318 in my dart and my one friend was like "slow down man.." when I banged through the gears of the 4 speed.

Yea man! I don’t mind changing the parts out for the real world experience instead of the calculators say so stuff.
Even if the calculators predict exactly, there is no way to predict how your going to like it when you actually drive it.

I think I can summarise my long-winded query by saying.
If you got four cylinder heads

Edelbrock
Speedmaster
Factory iron
EQ/RHS

And asked yourself "which of these heads doesn't belong?"
IMO It wouldn't be the EQ/RHS.

It would be the factory iron.
While I agree, I would add that of the "CURRENTLY AVAILABLE" heads the EQ/RHS don't belong. I know it could be argued that OEM iron is not currently available either but I would argue a set of OEM iron is sourceable by just about anyone. J.Rob

If not already on top of there engine, then on there shelf or a buddies shelf collecting dust.

Oh please re write that jumbled up answer some.
I think fat fingers got in there while you were typing Ramm!
I’m not sure how to read that…. More coffee for me perhaps?

LOL

Ok so sorry everyone that's been following along, I've been on the road with work and it's difficult to carve out time for this online fantasy football style stuff. Plus I am by no means a tech savvy web builder/ content creator type.

I'd like to create and or have a formal entry process for those that fully intend on participating. I'd also like to create a timeline for entry deadline, particpants announcement date, progress submission deadlines, of course dyno date, and results realease date. I'm also trying to figure out how to host my website so that anyone that uploads to Youtube I can provide the mirror link to. This way anyone wanting to see all the latest content could find it all in one place and in chronological order. I think that would be pretty cool.

Since we have decided on the type of build, another thread will be created to cover any and all banter related to this topic. J.Rob

is this going to be on YT? I recall entering a contest where I submitted my video and the contest runner then uploaded it to their contest page if that sounds like it may be easy I dunno....or it could be a collection of links to the contest entrants channels featuring their builds I dont know what the goal is but I thought I saw YT somewhere in the discussion.

The only YT discussion I have seen was between myself and fishman67 who asked if I was going to do that or a thread here and I said I’d do both in a “Not exactly an educational” manor.
There’s tons of content covering how to build your engine so, I have no need or surely do not want to cover anything like this in detail. The best I’d do is cover a basic overview and such stuff.

Anybody who has been here for a bit or is new and/or just doing a search can also find step by step builds on here and the best of all, in the racers section, the stickies up top that forum has the
“How to” time zones where members list everything (or should have!) it took to get there car to run the time in the thread marked as such.

In the case RAMM put forth, should this proceed with a few members competitively joining in on the fun…..
Do we have any takers?
I’d do quick video(s) updates. That’s all that’s really needed unless another wants to do detailed stuff for their own channel as well as RAMM’s shared spot.

-
Back