What size engine for the online/Youtube EC?

What size engine should the Online/Youtube Engine Challenge be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Because they are no longer available and I want the rules to reflect that ANYBODY could have access to the parts to build a solid 360. J.Rob

But mushroom lifters are no longer available either and are had by only a handful of guys.

Irrespective of actual displacement, I think the larger bore will flow better with less shrouding around the valves.

I think the bore stroke ratio stuff is very secondary to that.

What was the thinking behind allowing mushroom lifters? Who's doing that these days?
I've always wanted to see a build with mushroom lifters--no other reason, they are always outlawed and I see no reason to outlaw something that probably doesn't exist anymore. J.Rob

But mushroom lifters are no longer available either and are had by only a handful of guys.
Yes you kind of got me there but I seriously doubt anyone out there is going A. Have them in the first place. B. Have the capability to spotface the underside of the lifter bores in the cam tunnel. C. Utilize a camshaft that will take advantage of the larger diameter foot. Like I said I just wanted to provoke thoughts and get people talking. J.Rob

Yes you kind of got me there but I seriously doubt anyone out there is going A. Have them in the first place. B. Have the capability to spotface the underside of the lifter bores in the cam tunnel. C. Utilize a camshaft that will take advantage of the larger diameter foot. Like I said I just wanted to provoke thoughts and get people talking. J.Rob

On my big block I spot faced the block with a die grinder and carbide burr back in the 1980’s. I formed an aluminum 1/2 tube so I could slide the lifters in and raised them up with my fingers. Then I used clothes pins to hold them up so I could slide the cam in. I got pretty good at this and could even do it in the car. Man I miss the way I used to work and get things accomplished.

Last edited:
You definitely got people talking...

I'd equate using mushrooms as an unfair advantage, since they're not generally available. Imo that's something that should be removed. Either that or just remove flat tappet restriction.

Because they are no longer available and I want the rules to reflect that ANYBODY could have access to the parts to build a solid 360. J.Rob
Are X heads allowed? Probably a lot easier to come by a set of original EQ's than X heads these days.

Are X heads allowed? Probably a lot easier to come by a set of original EQ's than X heads these days.
But will there be much difference between fully modded X and 360 heads when done ?

@RAMM

It’s been a few days on this thread without replies. Are you still up for the host job and sorting through all the entries numbers?

Anybody up for this challenge?

I had previously mentioned I'd be in, but I'm in NC as you know

Since many are in the states that could participate, J. Robb opened it up to mail in results and the honor system. Since there’s no monies or prizes involved, I figured I’d throw my hat in the ring and wonder who else is in on this run.

So, I guess I’ll start ordering the few parts I need to do this for an engine I’ll use later. Though I’ll re-cam it for a street car later.

It would be cool to have a prize for the winner even if only a small one. How bout a small ($50 maybe) entry fee and winner take all?

Last edited:
It would be cool to have a price for the winner even if only a small one. How bout a small ($50 maybe) entry fee and winner take all?
That’s the problem right there. The second money hits the table or any type of prize, you’re going to have people crying and calling foul.

There are a few posters already here that questioned who is going to make sure that the other guy follows the rules when it’s impossible unless you deliver your engine to RAMM across the boarder in Canada for proof and it’s dyno test.

Is that worth $50 to you? That doesn’t even cover food from So Cal right?

The only prize available is those that give you congrats but don’t worry, there are those that will pick your **** apart like a Demon feasting on a new soul in Hell. But not have the balls to enter.

The thing here is that this is a
“FOR FUN ONLY COMPETITION ONLY”
that no one seems to read in this thread and understand.

So, are you in? Or out?

I wouldn't limit it to just Canada, most people in the eastern states live closer to me then the people in my own province nevermind the rest of Canada, most people live on the east side of the Mississippi could start there, could find a few dyno operations to participate evenly spaced from great lakes to Florida and coast to Mississippi.

I wonder if someone will just pull one from under a bench and refreshing it.
Every builder has at least one hidden somewhere.
But then again, some are camera shy. lol

That’s the problem right there. The second money hits the table or any type of prize, you’re going to have people crying and calling foul.

There are a few posters already here that questioned who is going to make sure that the other guy follows the rules when it’s impossible unless you deliver your engine to RAMM across the boarder in Canada for proof and it’s dyno test.

Is that worth $50 to you? That doesn’t even cover food from So Cal right?

The only prize available is those that give you congrats but don’t worry, there are those that will pick your **** apart like a Demon feasting on a new soul in Hell. But not have the balls to enter.

The thing here is that this is a
“FOR FUN ONLY COMPETITION ONLY”
that no one seems to read in this thread and understand.

So, are you in? Or out?
I dont think you’re wrong at all it’s wishful thinking on my part at best. Unfortunately I’m out. The only LA small block stuff I have is W2 and I do not see myself going out to try to impress this community with stock type heads. There are way smarter people here than me that will make much more power. I have a few magnums I could throw in the mix but same as above, a cylinder head guy can do way more than I ever could. I pay THEM for that kind of stuff. Now if we want to allow turbos I could probably hold my own. But that won’t happen.

I wonder if someone will just pull one from under a bench and refreshing it.
Every builder has at least one hidden somewhere.
But then again, some are camera shy. lol
Stock head?
I dont think you’re wrong at all it’s wishful thinking on my part at best. Unfortunately I’m out. The only LA small block stuff I have is W2 and I do not see myself going out to try to impress this community with stock type heads. There are way smarter people here than me that will make much more power. I have a few magnums I could throw in the mix but same as above, a cylinder head guy can do way more than I ever could. I pay THEM for that kind of stuff. Now if we want to allow turbos I could probably hold my own. But that won’t happen.
Well, I’m not going to impress anybody on this or any build I do.
True, there are people on here smarter and better at this for sure. But! This should be something that;

1: Not trying to impress anybody on.
2: Show what ya got and never be embarrassed by.
3: Perhaps learn something from
4: Enjoy the camaraderie of the board in some fun.

If you were going to an engine for yourself, because you’re in need of one and you’re going to do it anyway, why not just throw it in the mix? Stock headed or not. Perhaps showing how to do something heap as dirt isn’t really such a bad idea?

I think, IMO, that someone out there would and very well could benefit and even perhaps copy your build.

Here’s an example for anyone:

5.9 core then add in a
Spring swap that matches the new cam
Headers, intake and carb
Distributor and a curve kit

Power divided by CID is the formula
Then there is price to consider
Power divided by dollar spent.

I grew up and married early and children came quick. This leaves little to spend on anything else never mind a hot rod and its parts. Most of my youth until my late 30’s early 40’s was trying to the best I could with stock J heads. You can only go so fast with stock J heads in a 3700 lbs car and with limited funds and knowledge, you do the best you can with what ya got.

Perhaps someone is willing to take on the challenge with that in mind? IDK!
Will help someone out? IDK!
But it is another interesting take and route.

I wouldn’t build an engine just to compete.

Stock head?

True, there are people on here smarter and better at this for sure. But! This should be something that;

If you were going to an engine for yourself, because you’re in need of one and you’re going to do it anyway, why not just throw it in the mix? Stock headed or not. Perhaps showing how to do something heap as dirt isn’t really such a bad idea?

I think, IMO, that someone out there would and very well could benefit and even perhaps copy your build.

5.9 core then add in a
Headers, intake and carb

I grew up and married early and children came quick. This leaves little to spend on anything else never mind a hot rod and its parts. Most of my youth until my late 30’s early 40’s was trying to the best I could with stock J heads. You can only go so fast with stock J heads in a 3700 lbs car and with limited funds and knowledge, you do the best you can with what ya got.

You have some nice parts hidden amongst your stash. lol
You've shown the eye candy over the years.
It's time to put all those parts you worked so hard and long to gather to use.
What better thing do you have to do now that your retired, put your knowledge and parts to use. :thumbsup:

I may be in depending upon when the deadline to have the build and dyno done is.

I am building a 340 soon anyways. I have no expectation of being a contender against the pros on the board, but would like to dyno the engine anyways.

Maybe do a back to back test between edelbrock magnum heads v/s EQ heads with the rest of the build remaining the same. I am assuming the edelbrock magnum style heads would be allowed since they are still currently available new.

Stock head?

5.9 core then add in a
Headers, intake and carb

I like your approach to the whole thing. And if I were building an engine for myself currently that fit the bill of the challenge I would absofreqkinlutely enter. If for no other reason then the camaraderie and maybe, even if ever so slightly help someone else learn. My biggest hurdle is not having parts that fit the rules and not currently needing an engine built for myself that would follow the rules. I can’t feasibly throw 2-4K at an engine just to enter. Even though I’d like to. I have a completely machined 72 360 and complete bottom end I could put together but I’d have to source a set of heads that would serve me no other purpose than this challenge.

Or couldn't we do something like 318willrun's drag contest he did a few years back,
And everyone is on the honor system you have to the end of the year or every 6 months to post your results on whatever you have or doing maybe a few classes and a overall ranking, could have a chassis dyno class for ones with engines in their cars etc...

-
Back