What the heck is going on here?!

-
You can gusset that area in a couple different ways very easily in less than 10 minutes. Only thing is you need to have a welder or know someone who does.

Brother Ive seen your Gold Dart run.....I dont think theres enough steel to gusset that thing down. :cool:

So, what are the advantages of these again ?

dude, you guys are making a big huge deal out of absolutely nothing....trim a small triangular piece off the edge of the bracket. done...nothing strength wise was compromised....i did it to my dart with Alterkation suspension, and my barracuda with firm feel tubular uppers....NO BIG DEAL! So trim that up, put it together and drive that car!

dude, you guys are making a big huge deal out of absolutely nothing....trim a small triangular piece off the edge of the bracket. done...nothing strength wise was compromised....i did it to my dart with Alterkation suspension, and my barracuda with firm feel tubular uppers....NO BIG DEAL! So trim that up, put it together and drive that car!

You tell it like it is James! haaaaa

Brother Ive seen your Gold Dart run.....I dont think theres enough steel to gusset that thing down. :cool:

So, what are the advantages of these again ?
I also trimmed for the RMS tubular UCA,s.Was pretty simple.

Johnny,the advantages are more adj. with camber,lighter,more free movement with hymed joints.I was surprised at how much more free movement there is in my frontend at launch.Mind you I put these in my race car.JMO.

Even though everybody here was saying that it doesn't matter that you trim away that piece, I felt better knowing it was reinforced on my car. My friend helped me last weekend. Here's what the end result looks like. Please no comments about the rust. That will be taken care of this weekend. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0164 (Large).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 222
Lee, that actually looks pretty good. How many miles have you put on it? I seem to recall it having close to 140,000 in 1985.....

Lee, that actually looks pretty good. How many miles have you put on it? I seem to recall it having close to 140,000 in 1985.....

Are you referring to the amount of rust or my reinforcement? The car has about 180,000 on it. I dunno how accurate the odometer is.

I'm waiting for the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to arrive so I can start painting.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread.

So I got them installed and went to the shop to do an allignment. When i turn the adjusting cams to where the machine tells me to put them the passenger side control arm still contacts the side of the bracket/slot. I called PST and talked to someone in customer service. The guy said i installed them backwards. I held them both up before installed them and it seemed obvious which one was right and which was wrong. Here is a picture does it look wrong to any of you?

View attachment paint.jpg

it hits there at ride height?? that seems weird. can ya put a jack under that control arm and get pics of the suspension compressed so we can see what the problem is a little better?

i'm thinking if the arms were on backwards then the ball joint wouldn't anywhere near close to fitting.

I did alignment and suspension work almost thirty years. While I understand all the folks trimming that area and having good results, you also cannot argue what you are trimming away. That's a 90* turn there. The reason that is bent in that manor is for one purpose and one only. Strength. Whether it fails or not after trimming, it cannot be a bad idea to reinforce it.

So I got them installed and went to the shop to do an allignment. When i turn the adjusting cams to where the machine tells me to put them the passenger side control arm still contacts the side of the bracket/slot. I called PST and talked to someone in customer service. The guy said i installed them backwards. I held them both up before installed them and it seemed obvious which one was right and which was wrong. Here is a picture does it look wrong to any of you?

View attachment 252676

It looks backwards to me. I just took a quick glance at my Firm Feel arms and held them up to the passenger side of the car. The centerline of the ball joint should be straight up and down, more or less. Yours looks like it is pointing toward the front of the car. I'm pretty sure you have them swapped side-to-side.

If I had more time, I would snap some photos today and post them, but I gotta run. Maybe tomorrow.

BTW, Firm Feel writes on the ball joint which side of the car the arm goes on.

So i disassembled the control arms and switched sides today. As soon as i put the first one into place i thought... "This does NOT look right!" Correct me if im wrong but this looks backwards now. Check out the pic

View attachment 253161

Yeah, that's definitely NOT right. Hmmm. Not sure why you're having trouble with interference after you trimmed the bracket. Did you adjust the cam bolts back and forth to see where it was closest?

My arms were closest with the front cam adjusted all the way out, so we marked the brackets with the arms in that position.

Yes I did. They are VERY close no matter where the cams are at. I've got a couple pictures to post here. The first one is the picture of it touching when it is jacked up with the wheel hanging down. The second picture is showing how close it is at ride height after i let the jack down-you can see it is not touching but almost.

View attachment IMG00451-20110806-1325.jpg
View attachment IMG00453-20110806-1333.jpg

Could my torsion bar adjustment or strut rods have anything do with it? I honestly dont know what to do here. I'm wiating for a call back from PST tomorrow. But these things should fit my car! Its a 1975 dart sport hang ten. That is an A body. The arms are supposed to fit 74-76 a bodys. WTF MAN!!!

Send them back. You shouldn't have to mess with them like that. They should bolt in and take it to get aligned and done. They were possibly built on a Friday afternoon after a few coctails!

I agree with Mad Dart. Send them back. Take a look at this picture of the FF uppers. The tubes come straight out from the bushing for a bit, then they curve in toward the balljoint. It will give you more clearance.

Attachments

• tubeuca1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 99
-
Back