What to do with bowl vent?

-

jfleming64dart

Reaction score
Hey there. I have a Holley 2280 Carburetor on my 1964 Dodge Dart. Slant 6. I was wondering what I should do with my bowl vent fitting since the car has no charcoal canister or vapor separator or any other emissions equipment, except a PCV valve. It is currently capped which I'm told is bad.

Attachments

• holley2280vacuum1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 403
  • photo (3).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 190
Leave it open. Do not cap it. It is designed NOT to be capped.

^^X2 If you can plumb it into an open protected area such as your air filter bonnet, or even install a small fuel filter on there to keep out "junk"

However, if the carb floods (float sticks) it will probably dump fuel all over the engine, I would think plumbing it into the open side of the breather system is what you really need.

Leave it open. Do not cap it. It is designed NOT to be capped.

Ok will do that for sure.

^^X2 If you can plumb it into an open protected area such as your air filter bonnet, or even install a small fuel filter on there to keep out "junk"

However, if the carb floods (float sticks) it will probably dump fuel all over the engine, I would think plumbing it into the open side of the breather system is what you really need.

I agree with this idea, since I do not want fuel potentially spat onto hot exhaust headers. How do you mean "plumb it into the open side of the breather system?" Wouldn't vacuum be adverse in this application?

If what is meant by plumbing into the breather from the valve covers, I would not do that. Any flooding would dump fuel right down into the crankcase. Maybe he means up into the air cleaner....?

BTW, all sorts of carbs vent the bowl where it can go all over the intake if it floods so it is not an 'out-of the-ordinary' setup..... but then again cars do catch on fire sometimes!

-
Back