what would be more cost effective / practical

-

eviper21

Reaction score
i have a 73 duster with a blown 225 (shot a rod out the side of the motor)

now i can get a 225 short block for $50 but it needs bearings and bolts and a gasket set. and maybe im not looking hard enough but that stuff is hard to come by, and when i do find it its not cheap. The head, cam, timing components, etc. would come off the blown 225

orrrr

i have a 5.2 magnum sitting in my garage. I can convert it to a carb set up and try to drop it in the duster. But its gonna need conversion mounts and a new manifold and the tranny etc.

i dont know what to do. I dont want to keep the 225 in there forever i just need to get the car running as quick as possible and as cheap as possible.

any suggestions?

The quickest, simplest way would be to put a rebuilt hood running slant in there. Even if you trade the magnum engine and some cash for it. Slant 6 engines that dont have the #6 rod sticking out the side of the block are becomming fewer. The late model magnum engines are a dime a dozen.

Find another slant. Only "quick" way to do it. I have done plenty of swaps over the years, and I can tell you that the first few cost about 3x what you thought they would - and take a lot longer than you planned.

I have noticed at my local Pic-a-Part that there are still more or less complete slant sixes. I cringe thinking about them going to the smelter, knowing that they are limited supply. Go take a look - in the truck section. That's right, the truck side. Nobody takes much from them, usually an alternator.

B.

You will probably find a few slants sitting in peoples garages. pulled from whatever vehicle that they put a v8 in.

But I suggest you build what you want and not just something you will live with.

I agree stay with a Slant you can do one up reasonable if you look around here and Slant6.org

-
Back