what would my 73 dart run??

-

mopar65

Reaction score
I am thinking about me and my son taking my 73 dart to the track this weekend. So i was wondering if you guys would like to guess what the car might run. here is alist of pretty much everything i know about the car.Thanks Mopar65
beer.gif
beer.gif

o 1978 318 stock stroke, bore and pistons?
o stock heads rebuilt with springs to match the cam
o mopar purple shaft 292-509 hydraulic cam
o stock rocker arms
o stock fuel system with a chrome carter mechanical 6-7 psi fuel pump
o headman 1-5/8 ceramic headers and 3 inch flow master exhaust to the rear axle
o cross winds air gap duel plan intake
0 proform 750 hp Double pumper
0 MSD 6A, dist,and wires
o stock cooling system with new radiator, car never gets above 180 dgrees. car fully streetable

o
.Driveline
o TCI built 904 and 2500 stall TCI converter
o prostick shifter with cover etc
o fronted rebuilt with 73 disc brakes
o 15x3-1/2 front and 15x8 rear weld drag star wheels
o M/T front runner tires
o M/T 275/60/15 drag radiles tires
o mopar super stock springs moved in 3 inches
0 stock wheel wells
o 4.10 gear ratio
0 shortend 8-3/4 with 30 spline mosher spool and axles with 5/8 wheel studs
o B-body drum brakes

Thanks Mopar65

I'd give ya $20 if you broke into mid 13's, I'm guessing low 14's though, once you figure out how to drive it and what it likes to launch at.
Have fun, racing at the track is fun :) The $hit stops when the tree drops

14 - high 13's at best because the compresion ratio is low and the heads are unmported and small.
On the cheap, I'd look for 360 heads and pop them on with the valve springs for the cam after a heavy milling. You could really use a set of KB-167 pistons for the 318. There designed to be a zero deck piston and will help alot in upping the compresion ratio.

Go have fun with your son. That can't be beat. Father and son out for the day. (A little envy here) Soon enuff for me and mine. He's a little guy still and doesn't mind helping on the car, but, I can only expect so much from a 6 year old.

Following item have nothing or near nothing to do with speed of car;

o stock cooling system with new radiator, car never gets above 180 dgrees. car fully streetable
o prostick shifter with cover etc
o fronted rebuilt with 73 disc brakes
0 stock wheel wells
0 shortend 8-3/4 with 30 spline mosher spool and axles with 5/8 wheel studs
o B-body drum brakes

(B body drums actually mean nothing. Actual drum size is a spec of 10X2 or 11X3)

i think 14.9 to 15.3 its not aboult the numbers but the fun you have along the way

15,3...??
I drive a 15,7 with a Stock 318 with Performer intake, Headers, 650 Holley and 7,25" Rearend with 2.76 Ratio.. so i think you will drive a good midsection 14.

15,3...??
I drive a 15,7 with a Stock 318 with Performer intake, Headers, 650 Holley and 7,25" Rearend with 2.76 Ratio.. so i think you will drive a good midsection 14.

But you never know on a mismatched combo (I always lean toward the slow side)...The converter, cam, and heads won't "play well together".

But hey, who care's! If you're having fun with your son, it doesn't matter if you run 10's or 18's.

Thanks for all the great info guys.I know this combo is missmatched but it is what i have to work with.I bought the car this way.The 318 is going in my sons 72 dart and i will be putting a 13.1 compression 340 in my 73 dart. also this 318 was soposed to of been rebuilt but i do not know what all was done to it. But i did check the compression on the 318 and came up with 150 psi cranking compression.With a better stall converter i think this 318 would scoot pretty good. But i was mostly just wanting to see what the car might run before i pull it.Here is a couple of picks of my car thanks everyone Mopar658)8)

sorry guys i did not relize i was loged in in my sons name. He is allways working on his dart or loged on here he loves this place.Thanks Mopar65

dart 8.jpg

73 dart 1 (Small).jpg

100_0403 (Small).JPG

had 71 dart with 8.5 318[ rebuilt.040 flat tops] 509 cam ,stripmaster intake holley 750 vs 4.30 sg 8 3/4 3800 conv. j-heads 1.88 1.60 valve headers oh and air shocks[ 4-real ] 727 trans w/shift kit stock springs and full bodied car no lightning just factory setup 8.5x26 slick ran 13.46 @99.89mph and with some tweaking think it may have went 13.20s-13.30s for what it was ran hard , that was when i 1st got back into MOPARS again and didnt have much money and ran what i could find and afford...but man did i have fun with that dart!!!

guessing if all goes well and u hook up carb right and dont 4get to make sure u get enough fuel like bigger line electric pump should run high 13s, its very embarassing to run out of fuel at top of 2nd and pop and crap out and fall on its face[like i did 1st time] really sucks

you could sure use more converter and less carb. 509 cam likes 3000 stall or better and stock heads and pistons dont need that much carb. A little spin out of the hole wouldnt hurt so it doesnt bog and stays in the power. I ran that basic combo to start in my 72 duster but a 450ish cam and ran 9.20 1/8s so im guessing 15.20s. Still enough to kick some mild mustang butt.

I ran that basic combo to start in my 72 duster but a 450ish cam and ran 9.20 1/8s so im guessing 15.20s. Still enough to kick some mild mustang butt.

LOL!

I assume by mild Mustang you mean a V6 with a dead hole.

Good luck with the 318. Let us know how it runs!

Steve

shoot on passtime last night there was a cobra running 14.50 ,were just spoiled.I remember back when 15.20 felt fast

Thanks guys i raced the car acouple of weeks ago and ran a best of 9.09 in the 1/8 mile. I could only get the coverter to stall 2500 rpm. also i could only get a 2.10 60 foot time which is from the low stall converter. I think with a better converter i could run some mid 13 1/4 mile times. The best part is me and my son had a great time and the car did not brake. thanks Mopar658)

put some 360 heads milled .060 and alittle gasket match on int/exh and wake it up, them little 318s will scream there guts out and theyre fun, 13.0s aint that far off and u can do it on 1.88/1.60 valve. As far as convertor goes bigger is better specially in smblk.That 509 will respond better with better head bigger valve, been there done it, and the cool part is u can run the snot out of those 318s and rap the crap out of them and still get up next day drive em to work and cruise around and get 16mpgs or more.

Rats! I wanted to start a pool before you went! (I woulda picked 13.9) 9.09 1/8 = 14.17 1/4 from the conversion I used. Glad you had fun.

-
Back