What year is this Valiant?

-

Garethw

Mopar. Because rocket science is too easy.
Reaction score
Hey guys, love this forum! The guy I bought this from said it was a 64 but from what I've seen, it looks like a 65? I thought 65 had the circular reverse lights in the back where 64 had more rectangle shape. Can you tell the year from the fender tag too? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,264
I agree, 65 due to the split grill.

PS> my 65 had the identical gas spill paint damage when I bought it.

The third digit in your serial number (VIN) should confirm that it's a 65. The grille and tail lights are identifiers and you will find the dash noticeably different between 64 and 65 too.

The front fenders and grille, rear deck and tail lights are all '65. Your wheels and little front lights are not native to a '65 or '64. If it has a window washer, the 65 will have a bottle, the '64 will have a suspended bag. If it is an automatic, the '65 will have a shift lever, the '64 will have round pushbuttons. The '64 radio also has round pushbuttons, not rectangular like the '65. There are many more differences. How can the previous owner not know that this is a '65? Check to see if the title matches the plate on the door, and decode if the plate indicates a '64. If so, and your fender plate says '65, then at some point a '64 was scrapped and this 65 is appropriating the '64's identity.

Thanks guys, so many helpful people here! I'm not sure the guy we got it from was all there. My dad's got the title which I'll be getting next weekend so I'll let you know what it says. It is an auto with the shifter on the column. I don't think the washer fluid container is in there. Those wheels are actually cheap plastic hubcaps which will be trashed. I like the look of the painted wheels with the chrome center covers. The car was born with a V8 (has the V35 on the fender tag) but someone put a slanty in at some point. I'm looking for a 318 to transplant back in.

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,155
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,159
65. Column shift instead of pushbutton. Grill and tail lights too. 65.

If it had a V-8 originally, a swap back will be easier. The hardest part is finding the steering cross-link since the V-8 one drops slightly more to clear the oil pan. Unlikely they changed that. If you use a push-button tranny w/ a 318, you will need a spacer ring for the torque converter snout. A few here sell them for ~$20 (Charlie_S, TorqueFlite_Patty, sp?). If a later lever-shift tranny, seach Lokar for solutions.

Hey guys, love this forum! The guy I bought this from said it was a 64 but from what I've seen, it looks like a 65? I thought 65 had the circular reverse lights in the back where 64 had more rectangle shape. Can you tell the year from the fender tag too? Thanks for the help.

yes the 64 had square reverse lights..

also look at the deck lit. its more rounded on the 64.

1964-Plymouth-Valiant-Convertible-For-Sale-Rear.jpg
attachment.php

grille is different on the 64 and so is the body line on the fenders.

0710cr_01_z_+1964_plymouth_valiant+disc_brake_install.jpg

and like stated the 64 would have push buttons if it were an automatic..

64inside.gif

According to your tag, you have a 1965 V100 Convertible. The slant 6 is indicated by the "20" under "AB" on the second line. You can check for the correct tag by matching the "00649" on the last line of your tag (under "NUMBER") to the last five numbers stamped on your core support (right in front of your radiator). On convertibles the number is also stamped on the top of the support bar behind the back seat (I found that one while restoring my own 65 Valiant Signet Convertible). If the tag matches, then you have a 225 ci slant 6, or the V100. Grill & trunk emblem would also be correct for this too. Your tag also indicates it had bucket seats...very rare for the V100. This is a good find...much easyer to make custom, that to restore. I just had to let my build sheets and tags tell me how to restore mine. They are very fun to drive either way!
Good Luck!

I live in the same town as that 65 valiant convertible is in. I saw it was for sale on craigslist last week.The seller is quite interesting. I was working at a junkyard when olly and his wife showed up looking for valiant parts. He had a hard time finding a valve body for the transmission and I helped him find one( the junkyard didn't have one). He also bought those goofy front seats and the radio for it. Over all I though the car was in pretty good shape. I would see his wife driving him around in it every ounce and a while. Sounds like it is going to a better home.
Good luck with the build.

I saw it for sale in the Tampa area and was considering buying it, but the price was too high. I have another 65 Valiant convertible that is red with the black top, but it came factory with the bucket seats, and floor shifter and signet trim, but it is not a signet, either according to the title. Mine also had the V-8 from the factory. By the way, the slant 6 trans won't bolt up to the V-8 engine. You will need a V-8 trans and the 65 cable shift one is a one year only and thus hard to find. You may need to use a later trans and an aftermarket floor mounted cable shifter.
Good luck with your new project.

According to your tag, you have a 1965 V100 Convertible.

Your tag also indicates it had bucket seats...very rare for the V100.

No such thing as a V100 rag in '65, it's a V200; also confirmed by VIN: V1=V100, V3=V200, V4=Signet. Also no buckets available except on Signet & Barracuda, it would have a code under the Z on data plate if it did.

No such thing as a V100 rag in '65, it's a V200; also confirmed by VIN: V1=V100, V3=V200, V4=Signet. Also no buckets available except on Signet & Barracuda, it would have a code under the Z on data plate if it did.

Ok, I didn't see a vin number. When I looked up the data plate codes, I red a code that said bucket seats, so hat had me confused on the V200 too. I just know it's not a 65 Signet, I've studied that closely over a four year build. The V200 with the slant six is a very rare in a rag top. I would like to see more people restore them, but custom is so tempting. This car is a true red on red, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 977
The title says '65 so no more confusion there. I think the bucket seats were not original, I've got the original bench also. It's got V200 badges, no Signet. I thought I might leave the buckets though. I got the car for $2500 which sounded fair to me. It seems pretty solid (rockers, floors, trunk, well). There is a bit of scary rust around the upper cowl to sides under the hood where you can see to the inside. The rest of the rust I think is minor, though I haven't stripped any of the paint yet. I need to build another garage before I can start taking it apart. I'm out of room!

Will do Gary! Once I get started, I'm sure I'll need a little help along the way!

The engine has definately been out if it too. Should be Chrysler Red not orange. Either way, wicked cool purchase. I often wish my '64 Dart 2dr post was a ragtop!

-
Back