What's a good 'cleaner' to clean my carb?

-

53ryder

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to rebuild my Model 1920 Holley one-barrel carburetor for my 1965 Dart (slant 6, 225). Is there a good brand of cleaner to soak the carb in to get it clean before I re-assemble it with replacement parts?

Glenn

I dont remember the brand names on the part soaks. Due to epa regulations they may not even be available today. The one gallon isn't large enough for anything other than the smaller parts. The 2 or 2.5 gallon soak will take a 4 barrel carb. 1 gallon comes with a basket. Larger basket is/was sold seperately. None are/were cheap.
Those would make a carb look nearly new. If aresol cleaning is all you need, Advance auto parts had a brake cleaner at buy one get one free = 2 bucks per can. It will clear small passages, etc..

Lacquer thinner does a great job. It will break down anything in the carb but will not hurt the metal parts. Can't say the same for gaskets so you would have to put all new gaskets.

Go find some one with an Ultrasonic parts washer , better than any chemical out there . I have one for my boat repair shop and they really clean stuff up . Hell send me your carb and I will run it through for ya .

havnt used it on diping a carb but its says that what its for berrymans b12 chemtool comes in a 1 gallon paint can ive used the brand on other stuff but not dipping a carb but its cheaper at walmart.

I've been using this stuff and boiling water (it's super-concentrated, you don't need too much). It's only about $10/gallon at Harbor Freight and it kicks ***. The only thing is you need to rinse it off immediately with fresh water really well and blow the carb out good afterwards, otherwise you'll get a little bit of white residue. I dunno, it may not be the absolute best, but it's cheap, and not a toxic nightmare and it works for me! I also rigged up an old electric fuel pump and pumped a mixture of it and boiling water all through the hard fuel lines of an old Plymouth I have, and MAN......you wouldn't believe all the black stinky crap that came out!

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-heavy-duty-degreaser-42998.html

super-heavy-duty-degreaser-300x300.jpg

Berryman B-9 Chem Dip. Old school "non California" formula. This stuff literally stinks the varnish off the carb. No really, if you value your marriage do not open this stuff in or immediately upwind of the house. Works great but absolutely reeks.

havnt used it on diping a carb but its says that what its for berrymans b12 chemtool comes in a 1 gallon paint can ive used the brand on other stuff but not dipping a carb but its cheaper at walmart.

I use this stuff too and also used it to free the 340 in my duster stuff is great for anything.

Super Tech (Walmart Brand) is best I have used
Do you mean "Super Clean"? I have used that to remove the faded coating on my plastic dash pieces (soak a few days). Would probably work on a carb. I would use carb cleaner only to spray down the throat. If you spray outside, I think it can eat up the rubber diaphragm in the choke pull-off.

its 2013 guys , carburetor dip is 1985 technology . hahaha . Ultra sonic parts washer . you can probably take carb to some one and have them run carb through it for less than the price of toxic dip . I already offered to do it for free . just cost of shipping .

-
Back