whats a slant 6 worth ?

-

dartman 440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have this slant 6 complete with transmission , can somone give me an idea what it is worth , running and transmission shifts nice seems to be and early 70s ? tia ed

IMG_20230319_163108510 (2).jpg

IMG_20230319_163114760.jpg

Free-$250

Any slant I’ve ever tried to sell sat in my garage until I gave it away. I have only scrapped 1.

You can however break the motor down and sell a few things people are looking for and make some money. I’ve sold the head, exhaust manifold, valve cover, rocker shaft/assembly, the triangle washers and special brass nuts/washers for the manifolds.

Your best bet is pick a price you are comfortable with, and post it for sale. If you don’t have any luck just keep lowering the price.

^^^
agree with the above. if it's a super solid motor that starts right up, doesn't smoke or make a bunch of noise and the trans is smooth? mayyyyy-be $500 to the right person.

but like others have said, a complete is a hard sell and you might sit on it awhile. if you break it, the pieces could move pretty quick and you'd probably get that 5 easy.

Watching, I have a running/6 that I'd like to find a new home for as well. Mines '85, out of my truck.

I bought an early 70s 225 slant with a 904 for 200$ in 1999. When it came around 2010 when I got rid of it, couldn’t give it away. I’d say the free-250$ is a good estimate.

Last edited:
I think I got 375 for one with 25k miles, running, driving, with a original 904 still bolted on the back. Free to $500 is pretty accurate. Right @RustyRatRod Lol ?

I couldn't give away the 44K-mile 225 out of my '69 Valiant when the plan to install a 340 was hatched. I'd just done a full tune-up including setting the lash and installing a brandy-new Ignitor in the distributor. The original choke still worked flawlessly. It started and ran like a watch on the coldest days imaginable. I sold the distributor for $90 to a guy building a Lincoln V12 hot rod and finally found someone to let the rest darken their doorstep--if delivered.

I plan to keep the '68 a Slant, but if that changes I probably won't even bother trying to peddle the 170 in it. I have a baker's dozen of more interesting engines taking up shop space. Nobody around here wants one and I doubt anyone would travel to have it.

I think I got 375 for one with 25k miles, running, driving, with a original 904 still bolted on the back. Free to $500 is pretty accurate. Right @RustyRatRod Lol ?
Probably so. There was a guy asking the same thing recently, but his has all kinda nice bolt ons. 4 barrel carburetor and intake, dutra duals, heck he even had the whole exhaust system. Looked nice. The slant 6 is kinda enjoying a resurgence in popularity, but still like I always tell folks, Mopars are a niche market to begin with. That makes slant 6s a niche of a niche market. lol

Probably so. There was a guy asking the same thing recently, but his has all kinda nice bolt ons. 4 barrel carburetor and intake, dutra duals, heck he even had the whole exhaust system. Looked nice. The slant 6 is kinda enjoying a resurgence in popularity, but still like I always tell folks, Mopars are a niche market to begin with. That makes slant 6s a niche of a niche market. lol
Not only a niche market, but how many of those guys are willing to pay $1500+ for a deal like that when they could swap in a V8 for similar money? Probably less than 10%. Now of that 10% niche of a niche market, how many of them have the cash? Needle in a haystack type deal if you ask me.

Not only a niche market, but how many of those guys are willing to pay $1500+ for a deal like that when they could swap in a V8 for similar money? Probably less than 10%. Now of that 10% niche of a niche market, how many of them have the cash? Needle in a haystack type deal if you ask me.
Plus, when you go to build one, you find out real quick that it costs just the same or sometimes more than a V8. That's a hard pill for customers to swallow. They figure less engine is less money. It's just not true.

Yup. When I built my most recent one over the last couple of years I spent more on this engine than any car/truck engine overhaul I've ever done.
No more rebuild for $800. I remember doing about any small block v8 for around that, around 1/2 machine shop and 1/2 for the rebuild kit. Did more of them back then. Can't hardly do a set of heads for that anymore let alone the short block. I have about that much in this one head on my /6. And that's with me spending many hours making grinding dust on it before it went through the machine shop and buying the assortment of carbide burrs that I had to buy to do what I did to it. Exhaust valve seats, oversized valves, too.
I have that $400 just in machine shop fees in that head besides parts and burrs mentioned.

I love 170's and built a really sweet one when gas octane took a nose dive. All but gave it away when I went back to a 273. That guy had no clue what that 170 was. Equallized chambers, head milled .060, Mopar Performance cam, 340 valve springs, High pressure oil pump spring, windage tray, and electronic ignition.

The other problem is slant sixes run forever, so not much demand.

I love 170's and built a really sweet one when gas octane took a nose dive. All but gave it away when I went back to a 273. That guy had no clue what that 170 was. Equallized chambers, head milled .060, Mopar Performance cam, 340 valve springs, High pressure oil pump spring, windage tray, and electronic ignition.

The other problem is slant sixes run forever, so not much demand.
Me too, underrated motor for a small, light car. When I build a motor for that hyperpack it will be a 170 built to rev.

If you need the room, give it away if you don't ask want you want. To be honest in Michigan I think it's worth 0.

I got $225 for this 1963 225, all the accessories and transmission were included, non running but not locked up.

C982DD52-DEB1-4CD4-ACF8-114D16AA202D.jpeg

DD92557A-5D4D-4671-A779-4C96D69A9440.jpeg

D273571E-38E3-4AC4-8661-CC9CBB950184.jpeg

If you decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the valve cover. Rockers and shaft too if they're the adjustable ones.

-
Back