What's it Worth? 70 Dart Swinger 318

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought this car and trailered it home. I won't say right now what he paid for it, until after I hear a few comments back. I'd like to know your guys' input on what you think its worth.
It's a 70 Dart Swinger, still holding its original 318 auto. 4 wheel manual drums, manual steering. Green bench interior, column shifted.
The bad : quarters are shot, front valence is smashed up, front seat is torn bad, headliner is falling down, dash pad is cracked, and the car sat for at least 3 years in a field. The engine doesn't run, and the brakes need a total rebuild, not to mention possibly anything else.
The owner claimed it has 33,000 original miles, but who knows. That seat seems pretty ripped for 33,000 original miles.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

k5.jpg

k4.jpg

k3.jpg

k2.jpg

k1.jpg

k13.jpg

k12.jpg

k6.jpg

k7.jpg

k8.jpg

k9.jpg

k10.jpg

k11.jpg

Yeah she does look pretty rough for 33k. Are the drivers side fender and door different colors? Looks like she has seen a rough life. I would have to guess 133k miles atleast. As far as value goes, I personally would pay $1000 to $1500 max. Alot of metal work needed on those quarters, and I would bet there are other places that need attention.

Obviously it has had a yellow hood and what I think is an upper core support put on it. Looks like a base coat clear coat job done on the drives side rear quarter so who knows what is under that besides all the rust. 33K miles isn't realistic with what I can see.

A bodies are higher in Canada but here in Oklahoma a $1000 would kill it deader than a door nail. I would guess $750 and that wouldn't be a quick sale based off the information. The fact that is isn't a vinyl top is the only reason it would bring that.

For Sale: 1969 Dodge Dart 2 dr hardtop sport coupe, 318 V8 automatic, Good original unrestored car for street or drag project. Very original, does need new replacement floor pans, no rust in the frame rails, torque boxes, fenders, inner fenders or other body members. Does have all the glass, with exception of the left rear. Has NICE GRILLE, bezels, interior trim mouldings, rear seat, full set of seat belts and shoulder harness, tail light bezels, No rear bumper or front seat. Rolls and steers. Not currently running. Has current title and tag. $1275.00 405-520-6600 Oklahoma City

pictures220127.jpg

71 Dodge Dart Swinger - $3000 (Frisco,Little Elm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-11-11, 3:54PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

71 Dodge Dart Swinger. Has been parked in garage for 4 years. Rebuilt transmission, new brakes, rotors, drums, calipers and window seals. Body work is nearly done. Needs interior. Motor 144000 +
Asking $3000 or best offer. For more information or if interested email or Call Larry at 972/838-3453

5Z45P35R43kd3of3pabbb7dec1c75684710c1.jpg

5Z45P35R43kd3of3pabbb7dec1c75684710c1.jpg

5O35T25S13n23kd3p2bbbc6e0bf1aa4d513eb.jpg

5O25Z05R43ma3p73lfbbb5bca872562241aba.jpg

that 70 looks to be a parts car to me.. maybe worth $500

I might would pay $500 for it, but thats because I know I could get about $250 for scrap metal after I pulled parts off of it. Its pretty ruff

The sad part of this is, it's probably worth more in parts than whole.
It's got a lot of rust on it, and i bet a bunch more that is hidden.
I bet it has 133,000 miles on it.
My best guess is $1000 max and $1300 if it has an 8 3/4'' in it. That's what they are going for here in Alberta anyway.
I personally wouldn't pay more than $500 for it......

Alright guys, thanks for your responses. He paid $1800 for it, and towed it (himself) from Salmon Arm BC to Errington on Vancouver Island BC. That's a good 8 hour drive each way I believe.
He wants to put money into it and restore it.

You haven't shown the floors and trunk, but a good guess they are shot. If the frame rails and torsion bar anchors are rusted thru, it seems unfeasible to repair. If the cowl is rusted thru, that would be a mess to repair. People in Canada and Europe post some amazing sheet metal repairs (that I couldn't do). Nobody in CA, AZ, or NV would touch that car. Just for parts, and many of those are probably rusted or pitted. I would guess $300 in CA, but probably worth a bit more in B.C.

Advise your friend next time to drive down to SoCal and find a car that looks terrible from faded paint, etc but the sheet metal is pristine and all the trim is there. A hanging headliner looks terrible, but is no worse than one that looks kind of OK but the fabric is old and friable. Both need replacing, but the former scares away many buyers and drops the price $200.

Well anything is restorable with enough time and money, if he does it for the love of the car, then it dosent matter what its worth!

Here in NC, that car is less than $1k. Probably more in the $600 range. But if he paid $1800, then it was worth that to him.

Alright guys, thanks for your responses. He paid $1800 for it, and towed it (himself) from Salmon Arm BC to Errington on Vancouver Island BC. That's a good 8 hour drive each way I believe.
He wants to put money into it and restore it.[/QUOTE

Go over to your friend with a pair of pliers and remove the hook from his mouth,they were waiting for a fish and he was it:eek:ops:

I have tried to explain that he can find a better one for that kind of money, but he just seems set on getting one going. Mind you, I paid $2500 for a 67 Barracuda notch with no front fenders and horrible quarters, but that's not really a run of the mill car either.
According to the owner, if he didn't have the cash available, that was fine with her because she had '3 other people ready to buy the car without even seeing it' .. but I've heard that story before too. "If you don't buy it now, someone else is going to!"

Well, I just hope the floors, trunk, and everything else aren't shot. I'll check it out closer this weekend.

I think he might be in for some ugly suprises on this one... I see a TON of rust... sounds like he may have bought it with emotion.. we have prob all done that before

I'm not sure on it, but I think he is also under the impression that the rust he can see is the ONLY rust, and that there is nothing hiding under the paint. I know on my 70 Dart, what looked like a 1" x 1" area turned out to be replacing the entire bottom 6" of my quarter panel, and some of my wheel lip.

But again, his car, his money, his time.

Heres a pic of my 70 318-904-8 3/4 rust free Dart, the day I drove it home.
$2200.00 Sooooo......

Attachments

• Picture 144.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 250
  • faucet pics 755.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 927
Heres a pic of my 70 318-904-8 3/4 rust free Dart, the day I drove it home.
$2200.00 Sooooo......

True, but you also have to compare where we live. They salt the roads like crazy here, and you live in California. The prices of Mopars up here is always always higher than the ones down there. I'm not saying it's impossible, I bought my driving /6 70 Dart in the same condition as yours for $2000 about 7 years ago, but these days it's tough to do.

I have the best donor car ever almost zero sheet metal work on this car and id take $1500 for it listed in for sale adds

-
Back