What's my 71 340 Demon Worth?

-

hux340

Reaction score
Ok got a genuine 71 340 Plum Crazy Demon. Wondering what it's worth? It was restored in USA in 2009 before coming to Australia in 2012. I purchased it in 2015. I've gauged that it has done very little miles since restored in 2009 as it looks extremely fresh. As mentioned Dodge was fully restored. Down side not the original NOM motor. Has a 72 NOS block. Originally a 3 speed car but converted to 4 speed when restored. Demon is still an original 340 FC7 plum crazy car from going off the fender tags. 340 pulls like a freight train & throws me back in my seat whenever I jump on it. I've heard these A bodies are starting to gain momentum $ wise. Just wondering what my demon would be worth? US $ of course. I know it's hard to gauge these sort of things just from photos. It's in pretty bloody good nick though.

1unspecified.jpg

2unspecified.jpg

7unspecified.jpg

18unspecified.jpg

23unspecified.jpg

10unspecified.jpg

Upfront my fee is $100 US cash not Australian stuff. Here it is: anything over the price of scrape is , salesmanship. How good are you???? LOL
Real world $12000-18000 is my guess, unless you live in NY, RI, NH , or Los Vegas.

That’s a nice Demon you’ve got there; I’d be proud of it too!

The range (USD) seems to be anywhere from $18k to potentially $25k depending on the day and buyer. Granted there might be a disconnect since you bought it already imported to Australia and there’s likely a smaller buyers pool meaning a straight conversion to $USD may not jive. How does that $18 to $25kUSD compare to what you paid for it in $AUS?

If your side stripes were in the correct place I would give the car a 10. But like most Demons that are redone they were put on two low. A little more research before placement would have been a plus. This mistake only makes some of us think. What else was done wrong.

The 340's added to the scoops are a preference and OK. I say the car is worth $25- $30 K as it sits. A slant six 71 Demon with a 440 installed just sold at Mecum for $49 K. It wasn't near as nice as your car.

The Demons are climbing faster than any a-body out there. Titles and numbers are worth more than some complete cars. I always get calls for them but I won't sell performance car tags. Only base models for guys to put their race cars back on the street.

Last edited:
was it a 3 speed manual? if so easy 35k if it was auto 20 to 25k

Very nice car.
I would say it's worth $25,000 to $30,000 U.S. to the right buyer.

Other than modifications stated, the other obvious incorrect things about the car are as follows.
340 emblem on scoops. (it should have no emblem.)
Wheels and tires.
Battery.
''Dodge'' emblem on front of hood is for '70 and older.
Jack slots in the front bumper.
''Peaked'' trunk lid and jack slots in rear bumper unless it's a very late in the model year build car. (Last 2 months or so)
Shifter ball.
Exhaust tips.
Side stripe too low. (Roughly 1/2'' or so)

DON'T GET ME WRONG!
I love the car as is, and would drive the car and enjoy it.
I was just stating what potential buyers might say to you to drive the price down...............

Prices are coming down a bit. I remember seeing a very nice 340 Demon go for $40k+ a few years ago.

Maybe there's a glut of restored older cars, from people selling to buy new muscle?

If your side stripes were in the correct place I would give the car a 10. But like most Demons that are redone they were put on two low. A little more research before placement would have been a plus. This mistake only makes some of us think. What else was done wrong.

While this maybe true I'm still calling it BS. I had a good friend buy a 1970 Dart Swinger brand new and I remember the first time I saw it the tail strip was backwards on the deck lid. He took it back to the dealer twice and they said that was how it was. I remember seeing other cars that looked like **** back in the day too. Shoddy body work where the top and quarters meet. Doors that didn't align. ECT. They was just pushing cars out the door. And if you wanna tear his car down the drivetrain is incorrect so it could never be a 10. My brothers rear stripe was crooked on his Duster when and he bought it new as well. Must have been a Friday car?

Ok got a genuine 71 340 Plum Crazy Demon. Wondering what it's worth? It was restored in USA in 2009 before coming to Australia in 2012. I purchased it in 2015. I've gauged that it has done very little miles since restored in 2009 as it looks extremely fresh. As mentioned Dodge was fully restored. Down side not the original NOM motor. Has a 72 NOS block. Originally a 3 speed car but converted to 4 speed when restored. Demon is still an original 340 FC7 plum crazy car from going off the fender tags. 340 pulls like a freight train & throws me back in my seat whenever I jump on it. I've heard these A bodies are starting to gain momentum $ wise. Just wondering what my demon would be worth? US $ of course. I know it's hard to gauge these sort of things just from photos. It's in pretty bloody good nick though.

View attachment 1715186978

View attachment 1715186979

View attachment 1715186980

View attachment 1715186981

View attachment 1715186984

View attachment 1715186985
What is wrong with the strip location? It follows the body line, looks good to me.

It isn’t supposed to come down on the rear where the mounding would be, I see it now, depends who made the stripes

I'll give you five hundred cash for if
That is twenty five crisp twenty dollar bills
BUT you have to deliver it stateside for that money

(And considering this is the ONLY offer that has been made, that is the TRUE value of the car)

Oh, and I don't mind the strips being wrong, because I would have it repainted EL5 anyway

But that color does seem off a bit, is it a proper repaint,or did they mess with the color a bit?

What is wrong with the strip location? It follows the body line, looks good to me.

The gas cap handle is suppose to be strip color. Which would move the stripe up. The stripe does not go under the gas cap opening. There is also a left and right stripe. The stripes behind the door are different widths. the upper stripe is narrower and has more of an arc than the lower

These are original paint cars and stripes. Mr Norm wasn't photo shopped on the black and white

i11969.jpg

18301964_1022974281169213_8041961905723350069_n.jpg

Picture 389.jpg

Picture 379.jpg

Picture 380.jpg

Picture 377.jpg

I am not a purple car guy I like Orange. The Plum crazy paint on these cars really sets off the belt line stripes if white. and with a white interior. There is a Hemi Challenger that goes to the Numidia race way. it is plum with white belt line stripe and white interior. The car really stands out in a group.

I am thinking of white stripes on my Demon. I like the contrast against the black and orange.

2950.jpg

Yes I didn’t look close at the black/white pic. I had 3 Demon’s so I know what you are saying.

Thanks for the stripe education! If anybody would know, it would be you! Great info as usual.

The gas cap handle is suppose to be strip color. Which would move the stripe up. The stripe does not go under the gas cap opening. There is also a left and right stripe. The stripes behind the door are different widths. the upper stripe is narrower and has more of an arc than the lower

These are original paint cars and stripes. Mr Norm wasn't photo shopped on the black and white

View attachment 1715187192

View attachment 1715187193

View attachment 1715187194

View attachment 1715187195

View attachment 1715187196

View attachment 1715187197

I don't know what it's worth. But, I'll trade you my dart swinger, Yamaha banshee, and $500. That demon is beautiful.

Absolutely gorgeous car. I would agree with the 18-22k, stripe right or wrong I would drive that thing daily. Well, maybe not year round daily as I live in rainy Oregon. But summers daily for sure. Nice purchase. Best way to get a true value I think is to call Hagerty insurance as they specialize in classic cars and can tell you it's worth in the current market.

-
Back