-
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynbyu2

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm a brand new FABO forum member and have a question for all you MOPAR experts out there.

I was gifted my mother's 1972 Duster 318 (2bbl) and need to sell it to pay for her long term care. I'm headed to a MOPAR Car Corral at an "All Mopar" show this Saturday and need to know where I should start as an asking price on the car.

Mom bought the car brand new in 1972. There are about 6 scratches in the paint and two dings the size of a penny. The car has always been stored inside and the seats and package tray were covered from day one.

The car has 72,000 miles on it.

The only parts ever changed were the master cylinder and heater core. Obviously all the belts, hoses and filters have been changed. It's only on it's second set of tires and has the original hub caps.

The car is a baby blue color with a white vinyl top.

I've been told to start the price anywhere from $12500 to $17000.
If it would help, I'll post some pictures of the car, but trust me, this thing is in outstanding condition.

Thanks in advance for your help.

being a 72, and only a 318 car, i highly doubt you will see more than 7k for the car!. and even though it is low-mileage, that really does not play a huge factor in these cars, as alot of them have low mileage, as most were turned into race cars early in their lives.

grandma specials are usually the 318 and slant 6 cars, which do not bring bucks like the 340 counterparts

somewhere around 5 thousand, better forget the 12K someone told you it will just drive you nuts!! would you pay 15K for this duster when you could get a nice driver 69 383 road runner for that.

Ask $6995.

Abody value is not very high, unless it was a factory 340.
;) Too bad she didn't buy a 1972 Cuda.

pics will help, even if linked. :)

Best of luck. Look on ebay for Sold vehicles,
lots of listing, few sales; the prices are all over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...4593861?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a110b8445

I'm a brand new FABO forum member and have a question for all you MOPAR experts out there.

I was gifted my mother's 1972 Duster 318 (2bbl) and need to sell it to pay for her long term care. I'm headed to a MOPAR Car Corral at an "All Mopar" show this Saturday and need to know where I should start as an asking price on the car.

Mom bought the car brand new in 1972. There are about 6 scratches in the paint and two dings the size of a penny. The car has always been stored inside and the seats and package tray were covered from day one.

The only parts ever changed were the master cylinder and heater core. Obviously all the belts, hoses and filters have been changed. It's only on it's second set of tires and has the original hub caps.

If it would help, I'll post some pictures of the car, but trust me, this thing is in outstanding condition.

The economic conditions coupled with the resultant changes to the market means that you will be very fortunate to find a buyer that will pay more than $5K.

There are more desirable Abodies and Bbodies that were born as high performance cars from the factory - that are not bringing $$$, even at the bigger auctions like Mecum, etc.

Check Mecum's website if you want proof.

Can't even give you a ballpark guess without pics.

It's like me asking "Is this chick hot or not?"........... Without posting a pic.

sounds like about a $3000 car to me, people need to get their heads out of the clouds, largely cuz we all know its only worth what someones willing to pay for it. the guys who have the real money for cars arent interested in stuff like this and typically the guys who tell you its a $6k-$8k car dont have $1k for it so it doesnt matter too much anyway.

I'll say no way on the 12500 and up. Like mentioned, offer it to those people for $9000 and you'll still have it for years to come!

If it's really clean and in good survivor condition, I could see it going for 6-8K. Just depends. Something not requiring body and paint is worth quite a bit, even on the west coast.

If the car is B3 blue, that would be better than B1 baby blue.

sounds like about a $3000 car to me, people need to get their heads out of the clouds, largely cuz we all know its only worth what someones willing to pay for it. the guys who have the real money for cars arent interested in stuff like this and typically the guys who tell you its a $6k-$8k car dont have $1k for it so it doesnt matter too much anyway.

How can you value this car at $3000 without anything but the short description provided?

How can you value this car at $3000 without anything but the short description provided?

because no matter the condition its still a 318 2 barrel car and I stated my reasons in my original post. besides, how can anyone value the car without anything other than the short description above? my opinion is no different than anyone elses in the sense that its just a random shot in the dark without pics.

I'll have to agree that $5k is about tops. And, that buyer is not very common. A-bodies are sought out by a couple of types of people, those that want CHEAP transportation and those that want to go fast with a light(er) car. Anything over $5k is NOT cheap and anybody who wants to go fast needs to have some extra funds for the go-fast parts.

For me, I happen to like the looks of a-bodies and was buying them even when b-bodies were cheap. Then again, I've never even contemplated buying a 70s a-body because I like the looks of the 67-69s better and they can had with the optional roof......

There are lots of clean original Dusters and Darts floating around right now on ebay, craigslist ect. and they can be had for the 5-6K range and they are not selling.

In general, it would be worth more to me since it is a one family/owner car. Cars like this are usually taken better care of since they bought it new. So it depends on the person and how they value it.

In this economy, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If you have time, maybe bring it to a few local car shows and post a higher price then put "make offer" and write up a little history of the car.

Also, check your local craigslist (just watch our for scammers on there) and collectorcartrader to see what similar ones are going for.

Anyways, hope you get a fair price for it. Sounds like a good original car. Definitely post some pics!

I agree with most here $5,000.00 asking price. Anything more is probably going to scare away potential buyers. This is assuming the car is in pretty nice shape. If its like new perfect paint, interior, motor, and no problems at all. It may be worth more, but 40 year old cars generally do not meet the perfect as sold new condition description. You will probably get $2500.00 to $3,500 offers all day. It will take someone special to offer you more than that. I follow the market pretty close on the abodies and have bought and sold a few in the last 5 years. Thats my opinion on the price without seeing pictures. Over $7,000 would be a dream come true for the car you describ. May be a good opportunity to sell at a great price to the person that thinks it's worth $11,000+. But I bet theres no money behind that figure or even half that figure.

Good luck with your sale.

FYI, I sold a 24,00 original mile 1970 Duster with a small scratch on the Right front fender, perfect interior, 6 cyl, 3 speed on the floor for 8K and I wish I had it back....... ZERO rust. I'm stupid.

Ok, as promised, here are some picutres taken about 2 hours ago.

Sorry I only got the passenger side but it's pulled in the garage pretty tight on the driver's side. The driver's side is equally nice.

This should give you a better idea. Oh, and in full disclosure, I did see that the shocks (Monroe) and muffler (Walker) have also been changed.

P6200548.jpg

P6200550.jpg

P6200551.jpg

P6200555.jpg

P6200553.jpg

P6200554.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back