Whats that noise coming from my 318?

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Its one problem after the next. So i recently fixed a bad exhaust leak with some reflex gaskets which i thought at the time was the source of all this noise. As it turns out there it another loud ticking noise coming from the front end of my engine. What do i check? What do i look for in order to tell where this horrible noise is coming from?

Setup is 318 4bbl carb, stock bottom end

Link to youtube video of my engine running making a bad noise!

[ame]http://youtu.be/2-RrT1nydwk[/ame]

EDIT I posted before you posted video. That sounds to me like a valve problem. Pushrod/ rocker/ valve/ broken spring etc

Start by running the engine when cool or barely warm with all belts removed, for a short time

Use a scrap length of hose, one end to your ear, as a probe. Search all around, exhaust, manifold, flanges, etc. Probe inside valve covers through oil fill

"Up front....." if it gets to that, temporarily pull fuel pump off and run engine briefly

Whats engines story? Miles, last rebuild ,rockers ,cam.Edit ,just listened.Pull the valve covers. Sounds like a bent pushrod or broke rocker.

I was thinking maybe a loose rocker or something...hoping for something small but i fear that it requires a surgery beyond pulling a valve cover.

Bought used in running condition. Didnt make this noise when in the other car. Miles approx 80K no rebuild ever original engine untouched on the bottom end. Thats all she wrote. Engine came out of a dodge 100 van.

So i will pull the valve covers and take another video. But how long can i let it run with them off the engine? Anymore ideas are welcome thanks guys.

So i will pull the valve covers and take another video. But how long can i let it run with them off the engine? Anymore ideas are welcome thanks guys.

As stated above, I would remove the belts first to make sure that it isn't something in that area. Sometimes noise travels and it is best to start by using the KISS program.

KISS= keep it simple stupid... after making myself a lot of needless work and wasting money, I finally learned that it really works.

follow what the guys are saying.. sure doesn't sound so good.

on a side note. you have way too much rubber fuel line on that engine. its a fire waiting to happen.

So i took off the belts and started the engine up....i am now hearing the noise underneath the car not on top like i was originally hearing....maybe transmission related or flex plate rubbing?

That happened to me on my 318. Turned out to be my flex plate bolts were coming loose and hitting against the inspection cover. I'd definite check that they are still torqued.

Okay using the rubber hose listening to all the parts of the engine, i hear a ticking coming from the 4&6 piston area right around the exhaust manifold at the level of the head. It doesn't sound like exhaust though.

Do you guys thing if i drive this thing over to a mechanics shop ill do more damage? In other words, should i have the thing towed?

Tough to tell from video but sounds a lot like my 318 when it had a stuck lifter. Happens a lot on 318's. Mine started at 50000 miles.

Sounds like a lifter to me.

If you watch the video it takes awhile for the rocker arms to start getting oil.

I personally would run a bottle of marvel mystery oil thru the engine oil and let it run for at least 15 minutes.

Then change the oil and filter

Personally I would use 15w50 mobil-1 as it is designed for flat tappet cams and that's what I've used in my 340 for over 10 years

While you're sitting there running the engine with a valve cover off push down on each individual lifter with a broom or plunger handle to see if the sound changes.

Seriously, check the flex plate bolts before you panic. It could save you a lot of money.

You move the camera so much I can't tell anything. On a side note it almost looks like? there's water in the oil? Did you look at each rocker? Are they all moving "about the same?"

Bump the engine over until each rocker is relaxed on the valve and see if any of the pushrods seem more loose than the rest

Sounds like lifters not pumping up to me. Marvel mystery oil helps but it might not work, Just recently changed out all my roller lifters in my 318 because a few lifters were starting to go that had that type of noise. my roller lifters had over 100k miles on them tho but engines been rebuilt. Do what 67dart273 said and go from there. Another thing, unless something got sucked into the cylinder that's rattling you can take out the spark plug in that cylinder.

what is the purpose of using "marvel mystery oil"? if it turns out to be a stuck lifter, how would i get it unstuck? machine shop necessary in that case?

-
Back