What's the best intake/carb for my build

-

6twister

Reaction score
Hey guys, im building a 72/340 stock bottom end, installed a comp 268 cam with .477/.480 hydra cam. I ported the stock heads, exhaust and intake runners as well as some bowl and combustion cleaning. I have the 188 valves J heads. Nothing to wild,,just want to make the motor run it best for what I have. What do you recommend for intake manifold and a carb setup? I have a set of the HP manifolds I will be using, trying to stay away for headers. Cams power is between 1500 and 5500 rpms. Its an automatic car, with 3:23's. Some feedback would be appreciated..

Performer RPM Air gap intake and a 650 Holley HP carb.

1 of these 2;

Edelbrocks RPM Air Gap or not.

Wieands Action Plus

Using the stock Carb? Or in need of one?

Best throttle response and street manored carb wold be a 650 CFM carb and a 750 for street strip. The manufacturer of carb is your choice. Holley or Edelbrock, it's up to you.
I would use a vacuum secondary Holley carb. Or the AVS Edelbrock carb.

I would not use a Holley double pumper or an AFB.

And I agree, the stock intake and carb are fine parts and good for this application. Just not maximized. Inexpensive though!

I agree with the two rumblefish said......BUT, even with the stock 1.88 valves, IMO it could use a little more than a 650 carb since the heads are ported. Maybe the Action Plus and a nice Thermoquad.

If you have the stock "72" 340 intake and TQ, they would be hard to beat in front of an automatic.

Thanks for the replys,,i just may stick with the stock intake with the TQ. Does anyone know where I can get a TQ already done ready to install. I was at the car show in Mobile, Mopars at the Battleship, and they had a guy there that rebuilt them, he gave me his card, but I lost it. I have about 3 TQ's that need rebuilding, might be able to make one out of the 3 I have.

Look up demonsizzler if he's still in the game. Thought his operation was up for sale a few years ago.

Might shoot a message RustyRatRod above. He's rebuilt carbs for other members & they rave about the work.

x3 on the Weiand

I run the Action+Plus Manifold and Edelbrock 750 on my Street/Strip setup that's driven daily. No complaints so far.

if you can read, you can rebuild a carb, most kits come with instructions.
no pun intended, just say'n

if you can read, you can rebuild a carb, most kits come with instructions.
no pun intended, just say'n

True. It may seem like it's complicated/difficult, but it's not that bad.

Same thing applies to rebuilding a transmission. I rebuilt my first transmission with a book next to me. Now, people tell me I need to open a transmission shop.

-
Back