What's the best method to "Roll" a wheel well?

-

RJK3

8 3/4 Hoarder
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've got a 73' Duster and need about another 1/4" to 3/8" on the rear wheel wells. What is the best method?
I've never tried this so any input would be appreciated.
Do I cut and weld? Or hammer and dolly?

I usually cut slots in the lip about every 3" and use a small hammer. Cutting the slots makes it easier since it breaks the lip up into individual sections.

Get a FENDER ROLLER. There is a very convinient tool for such a thing. If you don't want to buy one to keep, you can rent them. My friend has one and I've used it a few times. Just keep a heat gun on the paint and get it hot. Really, really hot so the paint is flexible and less likely to crack. Also make sure the inner lip is clean of undercoating and has a nice coat of paint just incase water does get into the folded lip and can't escape it won't rust.

http://www.nlmotoring.com/Fender-Roller-Rental-p/fender-roller-rental.htm

^^ that's pretty cool, never seen one before.
Thanks for the input, any more tips?
Would you recommend re-welding the cuts? Ther'd probably be a fairly large gap left behind, no?

You can roll the lips with a baseball bat or a rubber hammer. Videos on You tube. Kinda crude though. If you have a nice car with nice paint I would buy a roller. You could always re-sell it here for a few bucks less. If being perfect isn't a priority, you could use the other methods. tmm

^^ that's pretty cool, never seen one before.
Thanks for the input, any more tips?
Would you recommend re-welding the cuts? Ther'd probably be a fairly large gap left behind, no?

I never have. I do always go back over it with a thick coat of primer and black paint so there's no rust.

The rear quarter lip will be a PITA to roll. The wheel tub comes down and is spot welded to the quarter lip, so the whole thing is double thickness with spot welds intermixed. Not saying you can't roll it, but you're going to want a good roller to try it.

I was able to trim a good 1/2" off the quarter lip without cutting through all the spot welds. Another thing to consider is that even if you roll the quarter lip flat, the wheel tub has a "bump" just above the lip where it tapers in significantly. So, rolling the lip only buys you horizontal clearance on the lip, if you plan on using more than an inch or so of vertical travel up from there it will still hit the wheel tub.

You can see how I trimmed the lip back on my '74 Duster to clear my 295's.

tireB-A_zps4efb0119.jpg

Check out Eastwood for a sale on their fender roller. I bought one from them right before X-mas for $99.99. They normally sell for $229.!!!!!!! Another way to roll the fender is tocut a 2x4 to the right curve you need then use a porta-power to push it out. be sure to place another 2x4 behind the porta-power or you will push the back end of it right thru your frame. DO NOT ask me how I know that!! :) I rolled my fenders on a 64 PLY drag car years ago for more clearance. Even bowed to fender out a tad for clearance. Good luck and don't be scared just go slow.

Jim

Check out Eastwood for a sale on their fender roller. I bought one from them right before X-mas for $99.99. They normally sell for $229.!!!!!!!

Jim

Hey thanks for the heads up! Eastwood still has their fender roller for sale. I bought one, should work great on the front fenders. And I may still give it a try on the quarters just to finish it out a little better...

It will roll the quarters just fine. Takes time, patience, and lots of pressure from the roller. My BMW 's rear wheel wells are spot welded to the quarter. I didn't strip any undercoating off, so it didn't roll perfectly flat. But it's close though. It gained TONS of room. And if your tires do happen to hit, the lip won't slice Into the tire. I'll try and get some shots of my car tonight if it isn't dark when I get home.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips guys! Lots of good info here. I'll probably go for the Eastwood roller and just file it with the rest of the rarely used/nice to have tool section. Lol

-
Back