Whats the deal with 340s?

-
340 vs. 360 threads always go down hill fast. So.... What else is new?

Really? Yellow roses is mad scientist? I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out LOL!
Brezo, you just can't help yourself, can you... LOL

Kicked off as Mad Scientist and on your way as yellow rose. Keep at it.

Really you're the only one who hasn't didn't figure that out months ago? here's a clue for you take a look at an old thread called " to stroke or not to stroke "and tell me that's not the easiest bit of detective work you ever did.
Now it all makes sense.

Really you're the only one who hasn't didn't figure that out months ago? here's a clue for you take a look at an old thread called " to stroke or not to stroke "and tell me that's not the easiest bit of detective work you ever did.

Well, see, here's the thing. It MIGHT mean something to me that I didn't figure it out until now if I actually gave a **** to begin with.

It was becoming obvious before this thread. Argument style, stead fast opinion, lack of reading replies how he did things back in the day, how we suck for doing less with more, speak down at you and just the pure rant over and over.

But like rusty said.....

I'm just gunna throw this out there for all this arguing of "horsepower vs torque".

Horsepower is a function of torque x rpm. Period. Chicken and the egg fellas. Without torque, there is no horsepower.

360 Magnum, Lots better than 360 LA.
This.. less oil leaks,no cam wear problems.. I LOVE 340's,if you are willing to spend ,the coin. Wedge B/RB 's,pretty much make you a straight line drag car,unless you build the car,from the grounded up..(aftermarket. K members,suspension..,another world...
Looking at your information???... What do you want to build,(what do you like?,you have to live with it,once done...) ,what are your expectations,out of it?,& what's your budget & long term plans?...?

I'm just gunna throw this out there for all this arguing of "horsepower vs torque".

Horsepower is a function of torque x rpm. Period. Chicken and the egg fellas. Without torque, there is no horsepower.

It is all the same torque and rpm are equal to horsepower. The problem is when people think they do two different things. But torque alone doesn't give a full picture of an engines capability that's why the concept of hp was invented. Cause for eg. if engine A makes 500 lbs-ft and engine B makes 350 lbs-ft that really don't tell us anything. But if you said engine A makes 200 hp and B makes 700 hp then the picture becomes clearer.

Another eg. take two engine with identical powerbands but are 1000 rpms apart so let say one goes from 1000-6000 and the other goes from 2000-7000 obviously we the first one has more torque but really that don't mean anything if both are geared proper (proper in this case is fastest et). The second car would be just as fast cause he's hit the same hp along with the first car at the same time.

I know that 340s were a strong running little small block but really is the difference? I am curious because I am looking at buying a 73 dart parts car with a 340. I currently have a 99 360 magnum and want to know the real performance advantage to a 340 than a 318, 360, or even a big block. Thanks and sorry for my ignorance.

... Give a core to a good builder and the top 3 (318,340, and 360) can be made to whatever power level one needs.

Pretty much correct for the short answer. 340's deservedly made their reputation by beating almost all comers, in a $3,000 car, new. They had all the right parts and were optimized from the factory. You can do the same with any of the 3 and even the 273, if you know what you are doing. It just comes down to what you have available. Then meeting your goals, if you are smart enough and honest enough. I personally don't like 360's, but I have 340's and 273's, nothing really wrong with a 360 just my preference. I don't like bench racing either. My 2 cents.

The 340 is just a perfect combination and especially the early ones with the good cams and big valve heads. I have some avid Chevy racers as customers. They love to build "6 rod motors". I laugh and let them know that All Mopar small blocks are 6" rod motors. (in fact ours are 6 1/8" rods, copied by GM for their LS engines) How about forged cranks, shaft rockers, factory dual point distributors and the like. Mopar engineers designed the 340 to be a performer and it was a force to be reckoned with! No converted 2 barrel small blocks here!

Just for you, stroked340 what ya say, 7 car lengths[/MEDIA]
The 340 is just a perfect combination and especially the early ones with the good cams and big valve heads. I have some avid Chevy racers as customers. They love to build "6 rod motors". I laugh and let them know that All Mopar small blocks are 6" rod motors. (in fact ours are 6 1/8" rods, copied by GM for their LS engines) How about forged cranks, shaft rockers, factory dual point distributors and the like. Mopar engineers designed the 340 to be a performer and it was a force to be reckoned with! No converted 2 barrel small blocks here!

True..and forged pistons and rods..love my 340's..

Wow you must have one wicked 318. The comparisons I have one is a 68s 4 speed,super coupe E58 and lil red express E58 and the 340 gets the nod everytime
Honestly would need about 220ish HP or so to be better than a 240Hp 340 with less stall and gear.

I will also offer this point of view. If your going dollar for dollar and on a lower budget, the 318 may actually beat the 340. Say a guy bought a duster with no motor. If his budget limits him to under 2k, he may go faster with a 318. Why? He can buy a good running 318 magnum for 300.00 bucks. Put a cam, EQ heads and air gap intake and should have money left over of the 2k. He will pay 1k just for a complete, non-running 340 that turns by hand. Just sayn'
Pick and pull charges 275 for a 318, they are in most of the trucks and Jeeps. For under 2k, shouldn't be any issue to get just at/over 300hp- prolly even more and still have a DDable ride.

Not picking on you, either. But I'll state some facts. Not everyone wants a 5200 stall converter and 4.88 gears in their street car. Most don't want to turn 4000 rpm's to do 55 mph. I wouldn't take a car like that on a 10 mile cruise. Had a street car once with 4.30 gears and 3200 stall. I HATED IT! So guess what???? Torque plays a factor in this type of car. Period. That is why they make stroker kits and add length to the crank. If your theory was right, everyone would be DE-STROKING their 340's to make them 300's and REALLY go fast.... that's it! De-stroke the 340 to a 300, run 5.13 gears and a 5500 stall with a 320 duration cam and you'd have the perfect highway cruis'n street car...... :D
Torque doesn't not typically go hand-in-hand with lack of power.

yeah, nobody trailering their car for 20 hours to prove a point..... I'd take a 340 or a 360 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But I'll also take a 318 :)
Same, same. I have an $80 340, I'd take a $400 360 Mag, but for drivers- hard to beat a 318 Magnum's price point.

It is all the same torque and rpm are equal to horsepower. The problem is when people think they do two different things. But torque alone doesn't give a full picture of an engines capability that's why the concept of hp was invented. Cause for eg. if engine A makes 500 lbs-ft and engine B makes 350 lbs-ft that really don't tell us anything. But if you said engine A makes 200 hp and B makes 700 hp then the picture becomes clearer.

Another eg. take two engine with identical powerbands but are 1000 rpms apart so let say one goes from 1000-6000 and the other goes from 2000-7000 obviously we the first one has more torque but really that don't mean anything if both are geared proper (proper in this case is fastest et). The second car would be just as fast cause he's hit the same hp along with the first car at the same time.
Pretty much. When you see much larger, lower torque and power curves- that will be a stronger motor throughout the range. But it takes the whole picture to get a full idea.

This.. less oil leaks,no cam wear problems.. I LOVE 340's,if you are willing to spend ,the coin. Wedge B/RB 's,pretty much make you a straight line drag car,unless you build the car,from the grounded up..(aftermarket. K members,suspension..,another world...
Looking at your information???... What do you want to build,(what do you like?,you have to live with it,once done...) ,what are your expectations,out of it?,& what's your budget & long term plans?...?
Oil leaks ?

It was becoming obvious before this thread. Argument style, stead fast opinion, lack of reading replies how he did things back in the day, how we suck for doing less with more, speak down at you and just the pure rant over and over.

But like rusty said.....

I read all the replies. You can't just make it up as you go.

BTW, is YR the ONLY one who ever read Alstons book? Maybe, because most guys wouldn't make the simple mistakes, had they read a book written at a very simple level.

So you are barking up the wrong tree for sure.

Well no, they are NOT 6 1/4 inch rods in a small block MoPar.

They are 6.123, which is a skosh under six and an eighth.

What's and 1/8 of an inch among friends?

Well no, they are NOT 6 1/4 inch rods in a small block MoPar.

They are 6.123, which is a skosh under six and an eighth.

What's and 1/8 of an inch among friends?
Thanks for the correction. I looked at that earlier and didn't think it looked right. I corrected my post. tmm

Honestly would need about 220ish HP or so to be better than a 240Hp 340 with less stall and gear.

Pick and pull charges 275 for a 318, they are in most of the trucks and Jeeps. For under 2k, shouldn't be any issue to get just at/over 300hp- prolly even more and still have a DDable ride.

Torque doesn't not typically go hand-in-hand with lack of power.

Same, same. I have an $80 340, I'd take a $400 360 Mag, but for drivers- hard to beat a 318 Magnum's price point.

Pretty much. When you see much larger, lower torque and power curves- that will be a stronger motor throughout the range. But it takes the whole picture to get a full idea.

This would all be correct, if you were running ONE gear. That's why we have transmissions in front of the differential. You can use a MUCH narrower torque curve, which is easier to make more power across a narrower RPM range (we can ALL agree on that can't we??? Maybe not) and use multiple gears (which is why 5 speeds are faster than 4, even in Pro Stock...and you can ask Wayne County about this...they were the LAST PS car of the era to go to a 5 speed...I actually asked them about why they had not gone to the 5 speed in front of a pretty good crowd and was told they use a longer stroke and a flatter torque curve to make up the difference...as they were barely qualified at that time and had been stinking it up for a while, I followed up with the simple question "how's that working out for you?" and they asked me to leave the rope.

Not wanting to dethrone AJ for the long winded post title, I'll keep it short and say, torque has its place. But when you use torque instead of gear, and even REASONABLE RPM, you will go slower.

For those of us who like to drive around, smoke the tires at will with your arm hanging out the window, with your drive through idle, then stroke is your friend.

Or, if you are an engine builder and educating your customer is no longer worth your time, the stroke is a money maker.

340's were one of the few motors produced strictly for performance. They didn't produce them in any other version. '67-8-9 Z28 302's also come to mind.

-
Back