Whats the deal with 340s?

-
340's were one of the few motors produced strictly for performance. They didn't produce them in any other version. '67-8-9 Z28 302's also come to mind.
The 350 horse 327's were impressive although they were just a juiced up version of a anemic 2 barrel engine unlike the 340 and their own 302.

The 350 horse 327's were impressive although they were just a juiced up version of a anemic 2 barrel engine unlike the 340 and their own 302.

The 327 was arguably the best SBC made.

If you wanted to have fun, you used th 400 block with the 327 crank. The problem with that was the blocks had crap ring seal and Chevy didn't have enough head then to feed that bore much past 7000. That's why a machinist I know tried to adapt my W2 heads to the SBC block. He went so far as to fill all the bolt holes and surface the decks. IIRC 2 bolts went into the water jacket and he never found a solution for that.

This would all be correct, if you were running ONE gear. That's why we have transmissions in front of the differential. You can use a MUCH narrower torque curve, which is easier to make more power across a narrower RPM range (we can ALL agree on that can't we??? Maybe not) and use multiple gears (which is why 5 speeds are faster than 4, even in Pro Stock...and you can ask Wayne County about this...they were the LAST PS car of the era to go to a 5 speed...I actually asked them about why they had not gone to the 5 speed in front of a pretty good crowd and was told they use a longer stroke and a flatter torque curve to make up the difference...as they were barely qualified at that time and had been stinking it up for a while

Wayne County..pleaseeeeeeeeeee,all they know about is how to hide nitrous:lol::lol:

No one mentioned the bore and strokesummm, there not around anymore are they? Wayne county

I thought I heard my name?
My 360 is bored to 4.04. I have a stroked 340;cuz it has a the extra .267 stroke. It's not that fast tho, cuz it spins 295s all the way to 93 mph, which is how slow it goes in the 1/8th. I painted it Orange like my old 340.All Orange. Orange from top to bottom. I stopped calling it a 360. Now I call it my stroker 340. People used to talk down to my 360, now the rave about my stroker 340.
My stroker 340 breaks those 295s loose at 30 mph. and at 40. and at 50. But I don't think it has enough torque to do it at 60, cuz its fast running outta rpm. If I have to shift, I think it will not have enough torque multiplication. I know in third at 50 she can't break 'em loose anymore.(I should probably get a teener. I bet they have what I need). I love to hammer down my 367, hit 7200 and keep it there til the tires start catching up, then split-shift into 1 O/D and just try and stay in my lane. Then as the tires start to catch up I hit second gear. After a bit, the tires are catching up so I hit 2 O/D and concentrate on keeping it in my lane. After a bit the tires are again catching up,so I put her in third.And then I open the secondaries.
Can you imagine how much faster I could be with a teener. I bet that teener wouldn't waste so much time spinning, and I could open the 4 barrels much sooner. Yup, I needs me a H-O teener. Course she might not like my 3.55s

Last edited:
I thought I heard my name?
My 360 is bored to 4.04. I have a stroked 340;cuz it has a the extra .267 stroke. It's not that fast tho, cuz it spins 295s all the way to 93 mph, which is how slow it goes in the 1/8th. I painted it Orange like my old 340.All Orange. Orange from top to bottom. I stopped calling it a 360. Now I call it my stroker 340. People used to talk down to my 360, now the rave about my stroker 340.
My stroker 340 breaks those 295s loose at 30 mph. and at 40. and at 50. But I don't think it has enough torque to do it at 60, cuz its fast running outta rpm. If I have to shift, I think it will not have enough torque multiplication. I know in third at 50 she can't break 'em loose anymore.I should probably get a teener. I bet they have what I need. I love to hammer down, hit 7200 and keep it there til the tires start catching up, then split into 1 O/D and just try and stay in my lane. Then as the tires start to catch up I hit second gear. After a bit the tires are catching up so I hit 2 O/D and concentrate on keeping it in my lane. After a bit the tires are again catching up so I put her in third, and open the secondaries.Can you imagine how much faster I could be with a teener. I bet that teener wouldn't waste so much time spinning, and I could open the 4 barrels much sooner. Yup, I needs me a H-O teener. Course she might not like my 3.55s

You are the KING!!

All that and didn't really say much.

Must be the Canadian beer. Or water.

No one mentioned the bore and strokesummm, there not around anymore are they? Wayne county

I'd have to go back and look at see what the max bore they were using then. I know WC was a longer stroke with a smaller bore. IIRC at that time max bore was 4.600-4.605 and I think WC said they were at 4.550 so you are taking fly poop and pepper numbers. They were losing more with th 4 speed.

I was at Woodburn when there was some 5 speed testing going on. Even with the engine/chassis/clutch they were using for the Nationals, they were quicker with the 5 speed. They just unhooked the 5th gear lever in Seattle. Everyone and their mother said the 5 speed wouldn't be any faster.

Thank you AJ !!
I will no longer tell people that I have a 360,
it's now a stroked 340 - COOL !!!
There's no difference ?

I'm selling a stroked 340 please don't mind that it says 360 on the side that must be some kind of typo.

I've got both a 416 and 360..11.0's 1.40's 60' with the 416..11.70's 1.60's 60' with the 360..i make it a point to let everyone know its a "stock stroke"..

This discussion is pointless. The reputation of the 340 comes from its performance in Stock form over all other small block mopars. Up until the magnum nothing Chrysler made could touch it.
360s were pigs in stock form. 318s were faster. I will also go out on a limb and mention my opinion of the 360 magnum vs 318 magnum. I worked at a Dodge dealership from 96 to 2010 and have driven thousands of 5.2 and 5.9 magnum powered vehicles. 5.2s always felt faster to me. No numbers to back it up just my seat of the pants dyno. I know there are other factors and it is far from a scientific test.
I like the shorter stroke motors.

There's only one bench racer here in this conversation take a guess which one it is?
This discussion is pointless. The reputation of the 340 comes from its performance in Stock form over all other small block mopars. Up until the magnum nothing Chrysler made could touch it.
360s were pigs in stock form. 318s were faster. I will also go out on a limb and mention my opinion of the 360 magnum vs 318 magnum. I worked at a Dodge dealership from 96 to 2010 and have driven thousands of 5.2 and 5.9 magnum powered vehicles. 5.2s always felt faster to me. No numbers to back it up just my seat of the pants dyno. I know there are other factors and it is far from a scientific test.
Yep you are correct- might as well be talking Motorsport.

Be careful, your real world experience goes against current dogma.

The haters will be along soon, with their math and formulas. They will PM you threats. They will have all kinds of arguments as to why stroking is best, which they don't even understand.

It's ok though. Their relatives thought the earth was flat. It's a monkey see, monkey do world. God help you if you think for yourself, test with reasonable protocols and produce differing results.

Remember, the majority is NEVERTHELESS wrong.

340's were one of the few motors produced strictly for performance. They didn't produce them in any other version. '67-8-9 Z28 302's also come to mind.

A Chevy 302 is basically a parts bin engine. It's a 327 block with a 283 crank with an old 327 fuelie cam. They weren't all that special, just a good mix of parts and some redesigned pistons.

340's are a different story. It doesn't share many 273 parts, it was a major redesign. The 340 TA 6-pack motors were the pinnacle.

Be careful, your real world experience goes against current dogma.

The haters will be along soon, with their math and formulas. They will PM you threats. They will have all kinds of arguments as to why stroking is best, which they don't even understand.

It's ok though. Their relatives thought the earth was flat. It's a monkey see, monkey do world. God help you if you think for yourself, test with reasonable protocols and produce differing results.

Remember, the majority is NEVERTHELESS wrong.
Now there is something I agree with 100%!
Your posts are improving as well.

Did I hear my name again?
There's no way to prove it's a ball. And there's no way to prove it's not flat.
So there!

I had a 7-speed for a while.
The ratios were;3.09-2.41-1.67-1.30-1.00-.78-.55. Scooted pretty good with 4.30s. So there! The truth is 7 was too many. I have a 5er now; 3.09-1.92-1.40-1.00-.78. Juuuust right!

I had a 74DartSport 360 4-spd.I wouldna called it a pig.
I had a 71 Monaco 3602bbl. It did ok.I wouldna called it a pig.
I had a 77 Dodge van,3602bbl. It did ok. I woulda maybe called it a pig on gas.No worse than my old Swinger 340 tho.
I have had 4 of stock 69/70/71,low mileage, 340 cars with 4spds and 3.55s in As. All needed to be wound up some to get moving. I would say that 3.55s was the minimum for 4-speeders.
Stock Teeners pull any old gear; just put 'er in D and stomp it. 'Course zero to sixty can be measured by sundial

Last edited:
-
Back