whats the deal with the new tranny mts.

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It never stops. I bought a new tranny mount for the Duster and it will not fit. The part I ordered was Anchor brand part # 2512. I have tried every way I can think of and it will not work. Has anybody pressed the replacement inserts in instead, The part # on that is 2525. I tried the old one back in there and it goes right in. I can get the bolts in the tail shaft in ok but the hole for the long bolt will not line up. any suggestions. sitting side by side it doesn't look like much difference other than the holes in the new one is slotted and the old one isn't.

I have used the Energy Suspension inserts for every Mopar I've ever worked on. It does make a squeak now and then but, I know that the trans can move enough to keep it from breaking the case.

Lay both of them on table and stare and compare. If old one goes right in and new one won't there has to be a difference.

there is a small difference in the two mounts but according to the parts houses, they pretty much use the same mount through the years and I would expect them to fit better. I had no problem buying the same x member for the Dart Sport a couple of months ago. I am wondering if the cross member is the correct one. Both cars call for the same mount. So I am going down in the morning and try and get the insert for this mount changed and use the same housing.

ok guys, what am I doing wrong here. The mount on the left side is what everybody is giving me for my Duster. The one on the right is the one that came out of the Duster. The one on the right bolts up perfect but due to the bolt pattern on the new one, it will not work. is there a difference in mounts for an a body with a 727. any ideas as to what is wrong. I got the driveshaft back and I am ready to go when this is done. I ordered a new insert for the old one here but the shop told me he didn't think he could get it pressed out and the new one in so I don't know what to do here. I may just fabricate a new plate on the bottom and drill it to fit the old one but as a last resort. what do you think the old one is for.

Attachments

• DSC07108.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC07109.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 210
The one on the right looks like a truck mount.

is there multiple applications for an a body car with a 727 tranny. I know for a fact that the trans. x member is the one that came in the car. I cannot figure out why the old mount is so different from what is called for. could the tailshaft be from a different body car that would cause it to be shorter therefore taking a longer mount.

does the threw bolt fit in the new mount when the cross member is out of the car?
not sure how you are installing it but, I usually bolt it to the trans ( leaving it loose because of the slotted holes ), installing the threw bolt ( also left loose ), then jacking the cross member into place. finishing with tightening all the bolts.

I just looked up the application for a 1976 Dodge W100 truck and it also showed the 2512 mount for that application.

would a 1/16 " in height make a difference in mounting on these mounts. would it affect anything.

vitamindart, I tried that. When I bolted the 2 bolts into the tailshaft loosely and let the tranny down, the threw bolt would not go in the hole. I tightened the 2 bolts and let the tranny down and it did not come close to going in. But my big question is what does the one on the right fit. It fits perfectly and it has to fit something so what is the application for it.

Trudy, that is part of the reason I install the threw bolt before jacking the cross meber into place. it almost looks like the slots for the mount to trans are off ( could just be the picture )

they are off, the one on the left is too short .that's my problem. I need a mount like the one on the right. cannot find what application it is for but it fits in my Duster and the one on the left that the Duster calls for will not fit it.

that's the one the Duster and my 73 Dart Sport calls for but the one on the right is the one I pulled from the Duster. I have checked a lot of applications and most Mopars call for the one on the left. so I am lost here.

All of the 2512 mounts on Ebay look just like the mount you have on the right. I think you got one boxed wrong.

I have been there with this, recently. I don't what the deal is either. I ran the bolt through the mount, to the crossmember. I then bolted the mount to the trans, then I put the jack under the crossmember and forced it up in there as a unit. it was a *****, I didn't like it. I then took everything back apart, mind you, I was using the mount on the LEFT. I took my cut off wheel and cut into the slot all the way out the back. I put it all back together with some BF washers. it fits like a glove now. I could have taken my welder and filled the slot up the where it the bolt goes, but I didn't. I needed my **** together, and I am not worried about it because the rubber in the mount takes all the twisting any way

I bought two different trans mounts for my duster and I noticed that they were made in two different parts of the world china and India. The one (I believe) form India was different, it looked closer to my original mount. the other one did not look right. Find a better company

You hit the nail on the head Lance in your post #17.......... You could take a die grinder in those slots, and elongate them till the bolts screw into place. For more support, I would weld some of the existing bottom of the slots up, and grind them off smooth, for more support. Just my opinion. Good luck with it. Dodge33

well, I bought 2 of the # 2525 inserts that is supposed to go in there. I am going to go to a friends shop in the morning and try and press the old insert out and a new one in. If that works, I will be a happy camper. If it doesn't, I am going to take a strip of 1 1/4 " flat steel strip and weld under both sides of the new mount, fill the holes with weld and then redrill the holes to match the old mount and that will give me the same as the old mount but a new insert. so it just depends on how it goes in the morning. BUT, I would still like to know what application the mount I pulled from my Duster actually goes to.

Rusty, I don't think I had one boxed wrong. I went to 3 different parts houses today and checked them and all 3 of them were like the one on the left and they were all 3 different. I called Chrysler and they gave me 2 part #'s for a mount for my Duster and there is only 2 in the whole U.S.A. and they are not the same one either. I been on this all day. I have a show Sat. and this car will be there one way or another.

I just checked ebay and the 2512 mounts they show look exactly like the one I need but they are the ones like pictured on the left when they come in. I had the part store manager pull up the 2512 on the screen and compare it to the one in his box and they are different. He couldn't tell me what the deal was either. I have no idea what is going on with the mounts.

I ordered 2 of the bushing inserts for these mounts in case there was a goof up tomorrow. Tyler just got back picking them up. Part # 2525. anchor. They look right just hope they will push out and back in. couple of dollars will be the way to go. here is a pic of them. maybe I can get lucky and use the old mount bracket and not have a big problem. will update you tomorrow how it goes.

Attachments

• DSC07110.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 139
Unfortunately my guess is the manufacturers have made design changes to reduce manufacturing cost or to make them fit more than one application.

-
Back