What's up with truck prices-RANT !!!!!

-
I hate to say it, V10's at 6mpg don't count. I wish they did! I get 14-15 mpg with the 360 4x4. The V-10 is a monster that loves to drink like an Irishman on Friday. Sorry to any Irishman reading this! HA HA

I know it sounds nuts, but around here that 5.7 engine will sell all by Itself for 2,500 bucks. then there is the computer and transmission, that is the way it is. Then the 4x4 the chassis, etc. 8700 isn't a bad price. for a 2004 4x4. regardless of miles.

I went through similar, which is the main reason I ended up just buying a brand new truck. For just a few thousand more than what the dealers were asking for polished turds with way over 100k on them.

At the time, I couldn't find anything decent from a private party either, so I bought the new truck, then starting the week after, could find any number of nice used trucks for good prices. Go figure. That's always the way it goes.

I'd skip the crazy dealers and just focus on CraigsList, see what you can find there.

THanks Guy's looks like it's the same everywhere,I guess that's what I get for keeping my head in the sand,Boy at 49 yrs old I'm starting to feel like 80 !!!!--LOL--Steve

Yea I guess it IS the mileage thing that concern's me but I guess the Hemi has been a solid performer but 168,000 miles that's usually when I trade my diesels in not gas trucks--Steve

Yea I guess it IS the mileage thing that concern's me but I guess the Hemi has been a solid performer but 168,000 miles that's usually when I trade my diesels in not gas trucks--Steve

funny but, there are three dodge trucks in my family, none of them have experienced any of these problems. some of the sons friends have dodge trucks, haven`t heard anything abnormal about them either.
the american greed is the real problem w/ high prices. I`ve been pricing new short-wide hemi p/u`s, and have found that the asking price is cheaper in the dallas area than here in tulsa, for the same truck-you would not believe the price that the dealer gives for your $40,000 truck,the old line dealers invoice is thousands higher than dealer:pukerigh: cost!~-----bob

A harsh winter has effected the value of used cars and trucks.
Insurance companies total loss vehicles based on dollar figures. Far too much money is related to crap like restraint systems. So vehicles that could be driven for years to come can't be street legal again per the regulations.
There may be a hidden blessing in your not getting the 04 you looked at. I'll assume you would buy only liability and not collision insurance, It doesn't take a serious accident to put the truck in the total loss category.
Even with collision coverage, the age and millage will make it a lose lose for the consumer. They get us any way we turn. Good luck

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4447356465.html

They have good deals around here just have to dig in the adds. Granted they may not be around long so you have to pull the trigger fast. Lots of trucks in this area though. But I have to agree that it is a sellers market.Good Luck!
Greetings from T-Town

Both the housing construction market and some segments of commercial construction have suddenly rebounded in many, but not all, areas of the country. This has caused a surge in new truck sales to the contractor segment. As a trickle down effect, used truck prices have gotten stupid.

It is called "Cash for Clunkers". That took a bunch of trucks out of the market so now the supply is much thinner than normal so they are bringing premium prices.

Exacly what Bill said! Prices here are way up in value. Try financing a used car also, interest rates are high on used cars. The clunker bill, banks and also the manufacturers, oh and the goverment are all the same bed.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-1500-SLT-Crew-Cab-Pickup-4-Door-2002-Dodge-Ram-1500-SLT-/291134291821?forcerrptr=true&hash=item43c8f4bf6d&item=291134291821&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]2002 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT | eBay[/ame]

Needs a little body work but 5.9L Crew Cab SLT in North Carolina for $5800.

Look at the prices of new trucks and it's easy to see why the price of clean used ones is high.

Well equipped F150s are heading towards $50k. We have a new F350 with an MSRP of $68k.

Well I called and offered them $8,000 for the truck not cause I'm crazy but being a one local owner,The dealership has ALL service records including oil changes every 3,000 miles,Ball joints,tie rod ends were all just done on trade in,Tires are brand new,not a dent/scratch/rust ANYWHERE and when you average the mileage it's 16,000 miles a years,But no call back from them so we'll keep looking,There comes a time when you just have to stand your ground-THanks for all the responses guy's--Steve

Stop going to a dealer and look on the private market. Stop paying for their overhead. Your original offer would have sealed the deal if it was a private seller.

Another point to take, those $4x4 ball Joints are expensive to replace, and the tires another 600+. Sometimes the bigger picture shouldn't be missed. it is likely any privately owned vehicle will be less, but need all those things.

If something is priced higher than I want to pay, I don't argue with the seller and I don't complain that someone is trying to rip me off. I just don't buy it. If you can't find a vehicle that you think is reasonably priced, then maybe you are the one being unreasonable. Would you sell something you own for much less than everyone elses asking price just because a potential buyer thought your price was too high? Obviously the dealership thinks someone will buy the truck for more than you have offered. I wouldn't shop for a used vehicle at a new car dealership anyway. What do I know, I'm 47 yo and have only owned cars from the 60s and 70s. I bought my first car (a 71 RR) for 850 dollars. Can't get em for that anymore.

I think I'd bring the offer back to them on the 30th or 31st. Last selling days of the month if they still have it. They may be more willing to deal then depending how the month went. Then too, you'll have a couple weeks to gather data on other possible vehicles and use them for a bit of leverage.

dealing with the dealership!!????? as they say down south, " gives me a case of the A--!!!
like the man above said, buy from the individual but buyer beware. plenty of honest sellers out there just as are crooks. my method of buying f rom individual seller" : strap on my legal to carry big honkin gun, carry my axe handle that's good for thumping crack heads that cross ya path, and infer if I buy his truck ain't what he said it is,,,, and find out he lied to me, I am coming back and he doesn't want that!! ?? LOL no really....it works....

-
Back