Wheel Bearing Stuck on Spindle

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
72 Demon, 73+ disc brake front end w/single piston calipers...

I was reinstalling the rotor/hub assembly on to the spindle but couldn't seem to get it seated far enough on one side. Went to pull it off and see if anything was obstructing it and when it came back off the inboard bearing/race came out and stayed on the spindle.

I'd like to reuse these as they are in good shape but what is the best way to remove them with out damaging anything?

Also, when reinstalling these into the hub, what is the sequence of order? The bearing seal stayed installed in the hub, Do I need to remove this before putting the bearings back in?

Thanks.

Bearing puller is the best way. After you get it removed from the spindle feel for burrs or grooves in you spindle. If you have some just take a little emery cloth and clean up the surface until the bearing slides with just a little resistance. It is strange that the seal stayed in the hub. Are you sure you have the correct bearings?

If the seal stayed in the hub and the bearing came out, something is wrong. imo

That doesn't make any sense. The bearing can't come out if the seal is still installed.

maybe I'm using the wrong terms?

Heres some pics:

wbearings 001.jpg

wbearings 003.jpg

wbearings 002.jpg

Um... That Seal is toast!
Replace it.

Installation Order
Both Races
Inner: Bearing, Seal
Then put Hub/Rotor/Drum on Spindle
Then Outer: Bearing, Retainer, Nut, Crown, Cotter Key, Cap

Later,
Bruce B.

Used my brake spring pliers that fit around the bearing perfectly and was able to get it off without damaging anything. Repacked and replaced the seal. Thanks.

-
Back