Wheel hop

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Hey guys
I was wondering what's the cure for wheel hop??

74 duster
410 4 speed 8 3/4 rear sg 3.23 gear

Thanks
Stephon

Stiffer springs (SS or HD) and definitely stiffer shocks, like Rancho or Cal-Trac 9-way. A pinion snubber may help as well. You may still spin, but hop should be reduced or eliminated. The harder the suspension is "hit", the stiffer everything needs to be. It will still be difficult to make your combo hook well.

Stiffer springs (SS or HD) and definitely stiffer shocks, like Rancho or Cal-Trac 9-way. A pinion snubber may help as well. You may still spin, but hop should be reduced or eliminated. The harder the suspension is "hit", the stiffer everything needs to be. It will still be difficult to make your combo hook well.

With 500 lbs.ft. and a stick, i'm not surprised your having a few issues, especially if your still on the 40 yr. old springs. I agree with "Loco" as far as springs and shocks and while i'm not a big fan of relying on a snubber, with a 4spd, it can help with the initial hit. The main goal is to stiffen the front half of the spring and get control over shock valving. If what your talking about is more of a bounce then a violent hop, and big upgrades aren't in your budget right now, you may get by for a time with clamping the front spring segments and a good pair of shocks. If/when you decide to use sticky tires or slicks, you may need to move up to a full system, including Caltracs or Slide-a-links to really calm it down......Your driveshaft and u-joints will thank you :mrgreen:.

Mine did the same with shackles lifting the rear, I took them off put 340 springs on and it took care of everything. Im guessing the guy ahead of me used the shackles because the 6cyl springs were shot.

Take out the pinion snubber and buy some Caltracs. I had SS Springs, rancho 9 ways and caltracs on my 70 410 4spd. Absolutely no wheel hop.

Depending on what it is right now, you may want to try a little more tire pressure for a temp solution.

Get the Caltracs if money is no object. For me, that wasn't the case.

70 Duster w/SS Springs, adjustable Pinion Snubber, 440, 4-speed, Dana w/ 4.10 and leaving the line at 5300 rpm. Never even thought about wheel hop and hooked hard every time.

Get the Caltracs if money is no object. For me, that wasn't the case.

70 Duster w/SS Springs, adjustable Pinion Snubber, 440, 4-speed, Dana w/ 4.10 and leaving the line at 5300 rpm. Never even thought about wheel hop and hooked hard every time.

What was the time slip with that combo???
I may try the cal tracs . If the rear springs get moved inward the cal tracs can move with it correct??

With 500 lbs.ft. and a stick, i'm not surprised your having a few issues, especially if your still on the 40 yr. old springs. I agree with "Loco" as far as springs and shocks and while i'm not a big fan of relying on a snubber, with a 4spd, it can help with the initial hit. The main goal is to stiffen the front half of the spring and get control over shock valving. If what your talking about is more of a bounce then a violent hop, and big upgrades aren't in your budget right now, you may get by for a time with clamping the front spring segments and a good pair of shocks. If/when you decide to use sticky tires or slicks, you may need to move up to a full system, including Caltracs or Slide-a-links to really calm it down......Your driveshaft and u-joints will thank you :mrgreen:.

Thank you ill keep that in mind

Thanks everyone for the feed back keep it coming

SS Springs and adjustable Pinion Snubber.

I agree, SS springs and a snubber with a small gap (3/4" or so) and you will have much less wheel hop. They have worked together for more than 40 years......

My Dart Sport (408 / 4 speed / 3.55 sure grip) with home brewed stiff springs (re arched, extra leafs) and a pinion snubber never had wheel hop, with street tires, drag radials or slicks, and would pick up the front right tire.

Cal tracks work too.

Before you spend any money, check the pinion angle and the driveshaft length.

I agree with Jim and also with the poster who said check your tire pressure. Sometimes it's the obvious things that are overlooked most often.

You didn't mention what springs you're running, but that would be my next area to look. Clamping the front half as mentioned above would help. If they are shot, buy the HD springs or SS if you are so inclined.

When you go to order you're Cal-tracs there's a form you have to fill out with all of your car's rear suspension specs. Make sure that you tell them about the inboard springs because it makes a difference in what kit they send you.

I'm gonna try and hook my Dart with the HD springs and 325/50 drag radials, but I'm running an automatic. If that doesn't work, I'll call Calvert. Good luck!

I have XHD leafs and Competition Engineering Slide-A-Link in my 340 4 speed car.Its stroked to a 372c.i(450hp)with a CF dual friction clutch.I have zero wheel hop with this setup.My 66 Dart with 410c.i has the Caltracs,mono-leaf and QA-1 12 way adj. shocks.The CalTracs,mono-leaf setup were 3X more expensive than the C.E.Just sayin..If limited with funds,try an adjustable snubber first.You might need new springs also,if worn out.Good luck.

I have XHD leafs and Competition Engineering Slide-A-Link in my 340 4 speed car.Its stroked to a 372c.i(450hp)with a CF dual friction clutch.I have zero wheel hop with this setup.My 66 Dart with 410c.i has the Caltracs,mono-leaf and QA-1 12 way adj. shocks.The CalTracs,mono-leaf setup were 3X more expensive than the C.E.Just sayin..If limited with funds,try an adjustable snubber first.You might need new springs also,if worn out.Good luck.

Hey Scott, if ya can get a pic of your cal trac setup in your dart, that'd be awesome!

This is a suspension thread but yet the OP has yet to mention what he has for suspension now. Give us a run down on what you have. Maybe what you have just needs tuning.

-
Back