Wheel Noises

-

70DartSedan

Not Banned - just hiding
Reaction score
Let's say you drive around and you hear some noises coming from the front wheels. It sounds like a humming with a steady beat. Also it is accompanied by the steering wheel vibrating and the car pulling to the left, at about 55 mph. I listened and it sounded like a metallic scraping sound outside with the window down, at about 10 mph. The car has had the front end in the air and I wiggled the wheels, nothing seems loose or worn, what could it be?

This is not a Mopar I'm talking about but it is a daily driver and a car that has many miles involved with parts gathering and Mopar-related efforts.

Let's say you drive around and you hear some noises coming from the front wheels. It sounds like a humming with a steady beat. Also it is accompanied by the steering wheel vibrating and the car pulling to the left, at about 55 mph. I listened and it sounded like a metallic scraping sound outside with the window down, at about 10 mph. The car has had the front end in the air and I wiggled the wheels, nothing seems loose or worn, what could it be?

This is not a Mopar I'm talking about but it is a daily driver and a car that has many miles involved with parts gathering and Mopar-related efforts.

What kind of car is it?

Sounds like you may have a brake dragging, possibly caused by a broken hold-down or return spring. tmm

warped rotor, shot brake pad, wheel bearing ,bent rim .sounds like the rotor is nudging the brake pad, bad caliper or loose caliper

jack the car up and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and try to shack it up and down..that should help on the bearing....also rock it back and forth from 10 and 2 ...if you old school you know what the #'s are if not let me know lol..damn im getting old:D

What kind of car is it?

You'll frown, It's Korean: '02 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L with 4-Speed Auto.

The noise is from the front wheels only. My mom drives this car more than I do and I'd hate for her to get hurt.

jack the car up and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and try to shack it up and down..that should help on the bearing....also rock it back and forth from 10 and 2 ...if you old school you know what the #'s are if not let me know lol..damn im getting old

I actually tried that and the results were less than satisfactory. I found nothing weird going on. I will check again tomorrow though.

I say a couple of problems. The metal scraping at 10mph is most likely the brake pad scraper that announces when it is time to replace the brake pads. It is a little metal clip on the pad that scrapes the rotor as it turns. It only touches the rotor when you are due to do a brake job..

As for the roar in the car, I would say that is a tire, or both tires. If it pulls, then you also have an alignment issue, or a tire worn enough or low enough of air that it would pull.

Take it to a reputable tire dealer and put it on a rack to see what they think.

Front wheel drive car makes noise and pulls to the left at speed.
Chk left front disc brake for signs of overheating (discoloration)
or uneven wear.
Put the car on stands and see if you can tell where the sound is coming from.
Could be anything from a trans bearing to a tire tread separation so lets narrow it down.

You'll frown, It's Korean: '02 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L with 4-Speed Auto.

The noise is from the front wheels only. My mom drives this car more than I do and I'd hate for her to get hurt.

I actually tried that and the results were less than satisfactory. I found nothing weird going on. I will check again tomorrow though.

i would think if it was the brake tab you would hear it when you turn the wheel while on the jack...my sons did..not saying its not..but now as far as the bearing go is the wheel hard to turn when on the jack..also from pass exp. when you hear a bad bearing on what you think is the left it is most of the time the right. or the opp...

also what do you mean less then satisf.?????got keep mom from on the side the road so lets fig. this out to cold to be out there...mike

Here's another thing, I get wheelspin if I punch the gas, and let off, and get back in (on dry roads). It never has done that before. It has also felt like it's been going sideways off a standing-start, like the front end slides to the left. I think it is out of alignment for one. Oh, my mom says the car vibrates real nasty 20-30 mph (closer to 30) and it is really bad from the right front.

how was it when you tried to rock the wheels..

I lifted the car up and I got squat, the wheels didn't do anything abnormal. I did the shake test transversly and longitudinally, solid as a rock.

Dragging pads or bearing will cause heat difference you will feel between the 2 front wheels. a rhythmic sound at speed could be a CV joint or a wheel bearing. Hyundai aint bad anymore. Wife had an 88 Hyundai and she said it was a bad car...her family put 240,000 miles on it from new..not bad for a "bad" car.

Dragging pads or bearing will cause heat difference you will feel between the 2 front wheels. a rhythmic sound at speed could be a CV joint or a wheel bearing. Hyundai aint bad anymore. Wife had an 88 Hyundai and she said it was a bad car...her family put 240,000 miles on it from new..not bad for a "bad" car.

:wack:
I put a K&N air filter and E3s on this one. I got .08 more MPG for a $70 investment. But I won't say I don't have a lead foot. Let's see this one had the clock go bad, replaced and went bad again (dealership wants to keep replacing clocks for $$) it's bad wiring, it has an itermittant left brake light short, and the door lock synchornizer just died a fortnight ago. It's 108,000+ miles and both fenders have rusted through near the rocker. Dealer denied the 10/100,000 warranty claim, it had (96,250) when we found this. So the dealership can go :finga: themselves.

I have got to do a better job of reading the whole post before responding. I thought you were talking about your Dart. My bad. tmm

I have got to do a better job of reading the whole post before responding. I thought you were talking about your Dart. My bad. tmm

No, I've yet to pic that car up, I've agreed with the owner it would be really dumb to take it out on salty roads. It's even worse because the roads are crusted and the car in front will throw up a fine powder.

What you're describing sure sounds like TREAD SEPARATION.
If it is, and you keep driving around on it, it WILL come apart. Not if, but when, and when it does, if you're lucky you get to replace the now treadless tire carcass with your spare and be on your way (actually the tread doesn't have to come completely off the carcass, but you can be sure anything wrong with the tire that lets the air out suddenly, can and most probably will, put a damper on the rest of your day). Not so lucky and you get to have the now wadded up into a ball remains of your car taken home for you. If you are really unlucky, you'll also get to pay for everything else taken out while your car played Transformer (being transformed from a vehicle into a bowling ball in this case).
Do yourself and everyone else a favor, take the car down to a tire store (preferably one you trade at and trust). Have them pull ALL the tires and in addition to visually checking them, put them on their balancer and spin them. Even if the tire's belts haven't broken through the outside of the carcass, spinning will show a broken belt or separated tread.
Thorough chassis inspection while the car is on a lift would be a good idea also to rule out bad CV joints, etc.

What you're describing sure sounds like TREAD SEPARATION.
If it is, and you keep driving around on it, it WILL come apart. Not if, but when, and when it does, if you're lucky you get to replace the now treadless tire carcass with your spare and be on your way (actually the tread doesn't have to come completely off the carcass, but you can be sure anything wrong with the tire that lets the air out suddenly, can and most probably will, put a damper on the rest of your day). Not so lucky and you get to have the now wadded up into a ball remains of your car taken home for you. If you are really unlucky, you'll also get to pay for everything else taken out while your car played Transformer (being transformed from a vehicle into a bowling ball in this case).
Do yourself and everyone else a favor, take the car down to a tire store (preferably one you trade at and trust). Have them pull ALL the tires and in addition to visually checking them, put them on their balancer and spin them. Even if the tire's belts haven't broken through the outside of the carcass, spinning will show a broken belt or separated tread.
Thorough chassis inspection while the car is on a lift would be a good idea also to rule out bad CV joints, etc.

Tires are practically new...

new tires could have hit a chuckhole or something... I would take it in and have the balance checked on them. If not, at least jack up the front end and have soneone put it in gear and spin the tires up to 25-30....

If you suspect a tire problem rotate both to the rear and see if the problem follows them

-
Back