Wheel stud swedge cutting tool

-

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Just a FYI. The tool required for cutting the swedge on "A" body brake drums, is available from Goodson Tool. It is required to remove the swedge when removing the studs, to prevent ruinining the hub.
Their part number is ST-437 for 7/16 studs, and ST-500 for 1/2 studs. These tools are on closeout, at $44.10 for the ST 437
www.goodson.com
(800) 533-8010

Thanks. I vaguely recall someone posting a cheaper hole saw that fit one stud size. Some people cut the studs off flush, then drill them down past the drum or rotor to remove the swaged shoulder, then push thru the hub.

RRR and others claim you can do this with a hole saw. 5/8 I think. You do need a drill press

There is a way to do this with a hand drill. You'll need a piece of 2X8, a hole saw the size of the center register, and a large C clamp. The wheel is the template used to create a wooden pilot.
The wood absorbs a lot of the cutting oil req'd ( especially when a common hole saw that has a tooth designed for cutting wood is used to cut metal ). I haven't away had a drill press and never have all the best tools. I always geter done one way or another.

There is a way to do this with a hand drill. You'll need a piece of 2X8, a hole saw the size of the center register, and a large C clamp. The wheel is the template used to create a wooden pilot.
The wood absorbs a lot of the cutting oil req'd ( especially when a common hole saw that has a tooth designed for cutting wood is used to cut metal ). I haven't away had a drill press and never have all the best tools. I always geter done one way or another.

Redneckoeoizationized STRIKES AGAIN LOL That's pretty inventive!!

!!! Crap I worked way too hard on mine then #$%#$% I flipped mine over and drilled(pilot drilled 1/8" then the same size as the shud shaft) the back side out and just tapped it out without deforming my hub. but I do like your way better!

There are several ways to do this. I just posted the info on the tool designed for the job. Many people are not aware of needing to remove the swedge, and there being a tool available. This used to be a common tool in a mechanics box, but I just recently became aware of it still being available.

-
Back